the_aY

First game with Farmers (how to play against them?)

I FINALLY got a game in with my Farmers!

I wrote a thread some time ago about how I should be using the Honest Land box. I basically too the advice of replacing Bushel with Tater.

I was against Honour Mason's topical lineup.

Man, I know part of it is because my opponent never saw Farmers before, but damn, Grange list reminds me of how I used to play On... Just a big steamroller that plows through. Windle is a monster, and Grange with a momentous KD on 1 just had so much versatility. It was a 4 takeout game (2 versus mascot, net making him worth the same as two real takeouts), and Jackstraw for final goal.

I feel that everything I wanted to do really gets projected on the table (Windle being powered up like a kamahameha, harvest markers chaining up to the goal), but with so much threat potential from 3 beaters (and Taters counter charge threat), opponent has to just plan around things without interfering with he plan.

I know there are still other things I can do to elevate my game, but Farmers seem to have a very low floor of starting difficulty (ie: easy to pick up and play compared to other guilds). 

What can my opponent to to neuter the farmers plan?

SPRINT OVER THE HARVEST MARKERS! :) 

I had a tough game against Farmers (with Corsair) over the weekend, and then played Honour into Grange again, and this time I literally had Flint sprint over 3 harvest markers per turn (since he's back there near their goal, and the beaters have to deal with Honour/Marbles/Mallet/Harmony beaters and Rookie Chisel :P ).  My opponent said "you're the first person to have ever done that to me!", so I guess I did something right.  The next turns definitely saw him more influence starved since he had to keep a few harvest markers on the field to power counter charges and other abilities without having to activate a reaper first.

Other than that, my other advice is "don't fall into the Famers scrum grinder".  I tried matching the Corsair grinder with the Farmers grinder, and Corsair lost.  There are just too many synergies, buffs, Tooled Up, etc... the Farmers have to out kill Corsair.

And for Masons, run circles around Farmers with scoring, and Honour can hold her own with killing.  Killed a tough hide full health Harrow from full (thanks Marbles and some gangups), and then killed a full health un-activated Grange with 7 INF.  2 of the INF was to push dodge him into Marbles, 1 more to KD, and then 4 average rolls of 9 dice against 2/0 to get 7 hits (7 damage, 82% chance) and Grange was gone.  Harmony was waiting in the wings just in case Honour couldn't finish him.

So those are just my thoughts.  I still need to figure out how to beat Thresher and Buckwheat...

It was only a six Influence Grange, don’t make them think I was cheating! But yeah, when possible trample all their flowers. It’s a hard thing though because if you spend too much time doing that you aren’t doing what You need to do to win, but one dodgy player or mascot running thru the backlines can really annoy them. 

Also spread out. Farmers want to get together and Scrum it up. Use Corsair/Kraken to drag them out of position. 

P.S. Next time I’m killing that stupid monkey First. 

23 minutes ago, AduroT said:

It was only a six Influence Grange, don’t make them think I was cheating! But yeah, when possible trample all their flowers. It’s a hard thing though because if you spend too much time doing that you aren’t doing what You need to do to win, but one dodgy player or mascot running thru the backlines can really annoy them. 

Also spread out. Farmers want to get together and Scrum it up. Use Corsair/Kraken to drag them out of position. 

P.S. Next time I’m killing that stupid monkey First. 

Aww, how could you hurt the cutest monkey in the game? ;)  Oh yeah, typo on the 7 INF Grange, haha.

To be honest, you did such a good job hiding the ball with Jack that Flint sat on INF that he couldn't use, so trample the carrots/apples/pumpkins (beautiful paint jobs and conversions, BTW) he goes! :P

And who could forget the "Battle of the Beautiful Men"!

ihvMHP2.jpg

Botts specifically stated in the MidwestWargaming interview that the Honor matchup is a potential problem because of her list's casual ability to either chain activate, or get Superior Strategy.  A Superior Strategied, Tooled Up Mallet waiting for Thresher to score on Turn 1 is a really bad thing.