Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Zore

Getting goals

Recommended Posts

Hi all. Since ive been playing i have trouble setting up for goals. Went to a tournament recently just for experience and won a game with take outs alone. I find setting up for goals an issue. Lastly i read somewhere u use brisket o/vet depending if u recieve or kick. Could you help me out with how you would set up for goals assuming 2 goals 2 takeouts..maybe u go for only 1 goal? And when you use o/vet brisket and how? Many thanks up front

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the Butchers are best at getting opportunistic goals. You don't really have a player who is great at getting the ball turn 1 (vBrisket might be the exception) and making a goal run. I find once you're in the middle of the pitch, players like Filet, Shank, Meathook etc can get a goal from the kick out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, ForestRambo said:

I think the Butchers are best at getting opportunistic goals. You don't really have a player who is great at getting the ball turn 1 (vBrisket might be the exception) and making a goal run. I find once you're in the middle of the pitch, players like Filet, Shank, Meathook etc can get a goal from the kick out. 

Ok thanks 😁 so vet brisket is used if i receive and o brisket if i kick if i see that correctly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When thinking about scoring goals, you need to think about both total goal threat distance and threat to the ball.

Player

Total Goal threat

Loose ball threat

Held ball threat

Truffles

10”

7”

7”

Boar

12”

7”

8”

Tenderiser

14”

7”

8”

Vet Ox

13”

8”

9”

Princess

12”

9”

9”

Meathook, Boiler, Ox

14”

9”

9”

Brisket

18”

9”

9”

Vet Brisket

18”

11”

11”

Fillet

17”

12”

12”

Shank (normal)

18”

13”

14”

Shank (injured player)

16”

15”

16”

For a butchers I tend to find the threat to the ball much more important than the total goal threat - not only is it important to score goals, but also to prevent them being scored against you. Having someone who can go and get the ball and make it difficult for the opponent to get it is perhaps more important than being able to score goals yourself.

A Brisket (of either type) goal when receiving is quite tricky for your opponent to deny, especially in a Fillet list. You can add 2" to her movement, dodge her up 4" with a pass and end up with a 24" threat on goal (the goal line is only 20" from your deployment line). With vet Brisket you get a bigger reward for your efforts, but either brisket does the job equally well. You just need to make sure you can generate enough momentum as you set it up.

At def 5/1 with unpredictable movement, and a ranged character play that helps the rest of the team out, ogBrisket is a safer bet if you want to keep the ball safe and not have to invest too much influence in her. VBrisket works more as an opportunity striker and support beater when you need, but when you can get that early goal she makes the whole team awesome.

I personally prefer Shank in that opportunity striker roll. The numbers in the table are perhaps a little optimistic, as with 3 INF he struggles to both get the ball and then do something with it in the same activation. If you need him to earn his own MP for the goal, he's really cut back. The goal threat to an injured player is actually less than normal because the charge costs him his WtG if he also needs to shoot. He's far from ideal, but with so much movement he can often get the ball and punt it safe or just do enough to a player's goal maths to prevent the goal, and I'd rather do that reliably than score a goal myself. He also works better against UM models than the 1" melee zone briskets.

Once the game is up and running, I find you've usually got someone roughly in the middle of the pitch who can reach the goal and score if the ball presents itself. I have scored with Meathook, both versions of Ox and Boar in recent games (and came pretty damn close with Princess in one game - she had the ball and enough influence to score, but my opponent won the roll off and managed to take the ball off her, but in doing so it stopped him doing something more damaging with that first activation and I got the ball back and scored with Ox later anyway).

That may be a bit of a ramble, but I hope it helps to some extent.

Cheerio,

Ben

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, malladin.ben said:

When thinking about scoring goals, you need to think about both total goal threat distance and threat to the ball.

Player

Total Goal threat

Loose ball threat

Held ball threat

Truffles

10”

7”

7”

Boar

12”

7”

8”

Tenderiser

14”

7”

8”

Vet Ox

13”

8”

9”

Princess

12”

9”

9”

Meathook, Boiler, Ox

14”

9”

9”

Brisket

18”

9”

9”

Vet Brisket

18”

11”

11”

Fillet

17”

12”

12”

Shank (normal)

18”

13”

14”

Shank (injured player)

16”

15”

16”

For a butchers I tend to find the threat to the ball much more important than the total goal threat - not only is it important to score goals, but also to prevent them being scored against you. Having someone who can go and get the ball and make it difficult for the opponent to get it is perhaps more important than being able to score goals yourself.

A Brisket (of either type) goal when receiving is quite tricky for your opponent to deny, especially in a Fillet list. You can add 2" to her movement, dodge her up 4" with a pass and end up with a 24" threat on goal (the goal line is only 20" from your deployment line). With vet Brisket you get a bigger reward for your efforts, but either brisket does the job equally well. You just need to make sure you can generate enough momentum as you set it up.

At def 5/1 with unpredictable movement, and a ranged character play that helps the rest of the team out, ogBrisket is a safer bet if you want to keep the ball safe and not have to invest too much influence in her. VBrisket works more as an opportunity striker and support beater when you need, but when you can get that early goal she makes the whole team awesome.

I personally prefer Shank in that opportunity striker roll. The numbers in the table are perhaps a little optimistic, as with 3 INF he struggles to both get the ball and then do something with it in the same activation. If you need him to earn his own MP for the goal, he's really cut back. The goal threat to an injured player is actually less than normal because the charge costs him his WtG if he also needs to shoot. He's far from ideal, but with so much movement he can often get the ball and punt it safe or just do enough to a player's goal maths to prevent the goal, and I'd rather do that reliably than score a goal myself. He also works better against UM models than the 1" melee zone briskets.

Once the game is up and running, I find you've usually got someone roughly in the middle of the pitch who can reach the goal and score if the ball presents itself. I have scored with Meathook, both versions of Ox and Boar in recent games (and came pretty damn close with Princess in one game - she had the ball and enough influence to score, but my opponent won the roll off and managed to take the ball off her, but in doing so it stopped him doing something more damaging with that first activation and I got the ball back and scored with Ox later anyway).

That may be a bit of a ramble, but I hope it helps to some extent.

Cheerio,

Ben

 

Definitely does ben thanks for ur help. Playing a game in an hour to a 20+ experienced player who always beats me. So figure instead of killing all his players id go for 2 goals and work around that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember that oBrisket with no ball is still a great threat, you give her 3 influences and make her sprint and supershot and let her be in 10" of the ennemy goal post... she then can snapshot from there easily (in the same turn mind you) if one of your other player can kick the ball to her she will land a goal, you only need 2 momentum to do so. 3 if you want to bonus time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 at 11:04 PM, Zorni said:

Remember that oBrisket with no ball is still a great threat, you give her 3 influences and make her sprint and supershot and let her be in 10" of the ennemy goal post... she then can snapshot from there easily (in the same turn mind you) if one of your other player can kick the ball to her she will land a goal, you only need 2 momentum to do so. 3 if you want to bonus time.

Only need 2 inf to sprint and Super shot...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always play a Brisket.  Original if I'm kicking, veteran if I'm receiving.  I find it hard to leave the strong goal threat and ball holder out of the line up.  I mainly play Fillet and have found the vBrisket turn one goal really hard to counter.  Set her up centrally and pass around to make 2 texta momentum, then have her go last and bang it in, the +2 influence is amazing on butchers.  When kicking I play oBrisket and usually give her 3, to threaten a goal and if it doesn't present itself sprint and throw a dirty knives out.

I have found adding the ball pressure to the butchers beating pressure to be really advantageous in games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you can go wrong with either Brisket.  Had a great run where I had plenty of time to set it up for OBrisket, dropped swift stance and tough skin on her and she just ran in ate several counter attacks and parting blows and just kicked it in easily.  def 6 and 2 arm nothing they could do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Anudem said:

...and a third to shoot the ball.

The post I quoted was regarding oBrisket without the ball being a great 10" snapshot threat, therefore only 2 inf required...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×