Sign in to follow this  
ShortcutBacon

Dealing with Alchemists

Greetings my fellow labourers,

New player here, all in all maybe 5 games under my belt.

I recently found myself playing a game against Smoke Alchemists. (Smoke, Flask, Katalyst2, Mercury and Vitriol... not sure on 6th)

What followed was a smack down of my mostly paperdoll team (Thresher, Peck, Jackstraw, Tater, Milstone, Bushel)

Final score 4-12

So my question to the community; How do farmers deal with a smoke team?

Any advice is appreciated. To answer a something that may come up, yep, Turn one Vitriol goal was a thing... shes quick.

You didn't have a farmer player Smoke particularly dislikes - Harrow. 6" healing 2 points to everyone doesn't go well with condition damage attrition. ;)

Everything what has extra heal and/or is fast and/or has lot of lifepoints. Harrow as mentioned, Grace, Tater, Millstone, even Windle if you go for the Grange-route.

Harrow, peck and millstone basically only that game for you.

Keep Millstone sucking in the conditions and then spend to clear giving you real momentum efficiency.  Also Peck giving you cocky and harrow giving the free heals allow you to really mitigate the ranged condition game.  

Depending on your striker you can probably give them a run for scoring since you definitely out dps them once the game gets up close.  

I think Thresher still has serious game into Smoke.  The major threat range REALLY helps when kicking off.  Drop in Grace/Harrow instead of Bushel and you have a solid match up that doesn't really care about conditions.  Not to mention Thresher can 1 round vKat if he can walk up under Legendary or Tooled up or if the vKat player doesn't heal him (assuming you are smart with harvest marker placement).  Just make sure to always have 1 on the chicken and Millstone near by.

I have found Grace to be very valuable in this matchup- you don't have to allocate her much (or any, really), meaning she can go at any point during the turn, heal somebody, and/or make a problematic AOE vanish kind of as needed.  She can also counter-score with Bushel if the Alchemists get a goal.

Harrow is also really important.  You're going to get hit by AoE's; Farmers just bunch up too much to avoid that fate.  That said, healing two back each round is super helpful.  Most of your farmers can handle taking a little condition damage with their wealth of HP; save your momentum (or use Millstone as much as possible) for removing fire that shuts down your mobility.  Poison isn't so bad when you're offsetting the two damage each round.

Grange is also a neat tarpit in this matchup; if you can get him in position with Honest Labor and Constitution up and then bait your opponent into sending Katalyst after him, he can usually survive- he's tough enough to take the hit.  I also usually defensive stance and counterattack (both) if I can get Kat to go after him- hitting on 4+ instead of 3+ and knowing a KD on 1 hit is coming back at him will often force the Katalyst player to take sub-optimal results on the playbook trying to generate extra momentum to stand up or to knock you down and prevent the counter, which all but assures he's not going to be able to kill Grange.  Assuming Grange survives, once Kat is in there, he's going down- you can use Peck or Come on, Mate! to bounce the captain back up (woe betide the Kat player if Grange has his legendary up), and send in Windle, Fallow, or Tater, any of whom when tooled up and under honest labor should be able to take out the big guy before he can Witness Me!

I'd recommend Thresher, I think you need his threat / explosive damage. Alchemists aren't going to hang around in a scrum and will be taking all the dodges to get away from the Grange scrum. Thresher doesn't need players to stay where they are, he just kills them. Being able to threaten midas 100-0 without him reacting at all (bar a defensive) is pretty bloody good.  

I think thresher is definately the way to go.

I would imagine the last player could have been Mist to offer a 2' melee range, ball retrieval and alike.

Personally, I'd run Grange, Tater, Fallow, Jack, Millstone, Peck. No Grace. I reckon Millstone's "Get in the goal" plus Fallow's "Rock and a hard place" can help you ensure that at least some of the goal runs will be at -1tn and crowded out. Similarly, "Rock and a hard place" is brutal when you have Cocky, Constitution both up, limiting targets for AoE.

Smoke teams really have 1 solid turn where they put out LOADS of conditions and damage (the legendary turn). Aside from that, it's basically a "witness me" and 2 goal team. Grace won't help you much, because yes she can remove an AoE, but smoke can make her own, jump to it, and go go gadget smoke tricks. I'd prefer Jack for the extra 2 markers, and ability to place them forward. I would think I'd sit Jack on the 4' line, giving him goalkeeper when I can. Port forward, cast 2 markers, port back again and hundred hand stance, then use him to try and counter after the inevitable goal, get the ball up field with ports, and flick in on to Grange for the goal run or something. With a free port, 1 inf port, 4' run, he can cover ground reasonably, you just need to set up the markers as you go. 

I recommend having Tater on a marker midfield obviously. In this matchup, the counter charge further up field makes a smoke goal run MUCH harder. He'll need to be shielded from, Vkat though. 

You could take Harrow if you wanted, but the match up really don't need massive damage, and Grange is more than capable of take outs without tooled up, as is Fallow. If you felt you needed Harrow, it would probably be for Jack, which would limit your counter goal score. Certainly he's useful, but you should be able to beat up on Smoke, Vitreol and Mercury without Tooled up.

Certainly, I would love Thresher in this game. If you found you really didn't need Grange's marker with Millstone and Jack laying them down, try him. 

Just my 2c worth.