Sign in to follow this  
Not_that_one

An open letter to Obulus

Ferryman, take heed.

There have been rumblings. Dark words whispered in underground vaults regarding our precious Guild and your command over it.

It is no secret that the Solthecians seek to ‘purify’ our sport by tearing up age-old contracts sealed in blood between the Union and other Guilds. Regardless of the impact this has on our opponents this puts us in grave jeopardy as we face the loss of a shining star of the game. I of course speak of the one known as Mist.

We are not savages. We do not hack and slash like Fillet’s brutes or squabble in the muck with the drunkards. Ours is a more elegant, graceful game. The loss of our contract with the Solthecian will cost us gravely. And may cost you most of all. 

If your control over the Guild’s dealings are not strong enough to retain the services of one measly player then I fear your grasp on power is not as complete as you might hope. One tiny chink of weakness may be all it takes for your enemies to plot all the more. The sharks will begin to circle.

I offer you an alternative. If our Guild fields energising star players, the crowds are happy. If the crowds are happy then the sponsors are happy. If the sponsors are happy then your power remains unchallenged.

I urge you, for your own sake, to consider retraining our protegé, the ex-monk Bonesaw. The boy has talent but could be much, much more if allowed to come out from Mist’s shadow. Simply put, needs to be better.

His future performance on the field could be all that prevents the masses abandoning the Guild.

- a friend