malladin.ben

Fan-made minor guild

With the potential Easter-egg/red herring in the Gutter conclusion, my best bet for our minor guild is Cutlers, but I still really like the idea of a Chandler's Guild.

So I made myself one.

The idea is that they have a fire and control theme, but their powers come at the expense of their own life force, kind of like a candle. Their models are quite binary. They have slow, tanky, push and KD merchants on large bases or fast, light models on 30mm bases who prefer to dodge around and deal damage or score (although Lux is a bit of a half-way between the two - she's supposed to be a bit of a dancer, so would look more like bonesaw on the wide base. She gets pushes at first, until the enemy is on fire then she . can dodge more readily). They're more of a scoring team than butchers, but have some damage output potential. 

Anyway, as per my usual stuff, they're probably OP. Let me know which ones you think are moreso, and where they could be toned down. 

Players to fit in with them best I think are Shank and vOx.

http://theblackorifice.co.uk/ChandlersGuild.pdf

Cheerio,

Ben

On 24/11/2017 at 3:32 PM, malladin.ben said:

With the potential Easter-egg/red herring in the Gutter conclusion, my best bet for our minor guild is Cutlers, but I still really like the idea of a Chandler's Guild.

So I made myself one.

The idea is that they have a fire and control theme, but their powers come at the expense of their own life force, kind of like a candle. Their models are quite binary. They have slow, tanky, push and KD merchants on large bases or fast, light models on 30mm bases who prefer to dodge around and deal damage or score (although Lux is a bit of a half-way between the two - she's supposed to be a bit of a dancer, so would look more like bonesaw on the wide base. She gets pushes at first, until the enemy is on fire then she . can dodge more readily). They're more of a scoring team than butchers, but have some damage output potential. 

Anyway, as per my usual stuff, they're probably OP. Let me know which ones you think are moreso, and where they could be toned down. 

Players to fit in with them best I think are Shank and vOx.

http://theblackorifice.co.uk/ChandlersGuild.pdf

Cheerio,

Ben

I've got to say, Ben, I'm really impressed with that!

Really like the thought put into this! My only comment would be that fire conditions would be more alchemists. Would be cool to see ur design around blood conditions. 

I think when I was designing this I was thinking the minor guild might be something that added a new dimension to a guild's playstyle, with their own unique playstyle in themselves.having listened to Mat talking on singled out he was saying the guilds will be chosen for shared aspects of playstyle rather than whether the guild thematically fits. I think this makes Chandlers highly unlikely for butchers, but jobless fun a thought exercise. I guess the whole "damage yourself to get better" theme they have going sort of fits with the butchers glass-cannon theme, and makes vOx a good fit for them.

I've designed other stuff themed around blood if you dig through these forums you should find them. Vet captain boiler, vet Fillet and black pudding are the ones most blood-themed.

I find them really interesting, moreso than your veteran Fillet, if you don't mind me saying. I really like pyre, although he/she/it might be a touch too good. It seems to do rather a lot for free, but I certainly wouldn't make wholesale changes. The idea is great.

I'll give you more thoughts as and when I digest the other players.

Quick edit: Jack be...... Is inspired! Love it, SF should pinch that!

12 minutes ago, malladin.ben said:

"Fire is the devil's only friend" is also a line from the Stones song, Jumping Jack Flash, which also quotes the Jack be nimble nursery rhyme.

Well played. I'm liking Jack Flash, I think he's well designed. Burning Effigy will take a little more effort to turn on than wosname from the Alchemists, but I think that's fair. 

I'd rather have Nimble and Quick being part of the Jack Be..... Trait so that only one can be chosen a turn. Maybe some sort of buyable dodge instead?

Overall I think he's great.

I've update the file.

Changes:

Jack Flash: Flash Fire moved to 4 hits and non-momentous (it's kind of his signature ability and it's a bit naff that it's so high up the playbook, non-momentous to mitigate it's power) and that only enemy models take the damage (otherwise he'd probably be killing himself before he killed the enemy). I also reorganised Jack Be... as @Selfy suggested, but didn't add the dodge as he's already got a massive reposition ability with Fire Blast and Jump Through Fire. Currently he's got a >23" goal threat if he chooses Jack Be Quick.

Pyre: Removed Fire Blast and Burning Spirit and replaced it with Flame On and Flaming Body, which basically makes him like the Wrecker of the burning condition. His base move was brought down to compensate for his high move after Flame On.

Tallow: Ham Fists seemed a bit weak compared to Tooled Up, so I made it so that it gives [+1] TAC and [+1] Damage for the next attack - commanding aura meets confidence.

Wick: No change

Beeswax: I noticed that Honest Labour didn't have a GB trigger for it, so added one on 4 hits and made the T KD non-momentous - I figured this was an important consideration with the penalty from Sliding Tackle actually having an effect worth more than just a 1 MP spend to stand back up. Now you can't generate momentum from any of his KDs, so if you sliding tackle in and don't wrap you either have to have the MP already or suffer a counter attack whilst you are KD. I also spotted a wording problem with Grease that I fixed.

Lux: No Change

The file should be updated on the same link, but for convenience I'll add it here, too: http://theblackorifice.co.uk/ChandlersGuild.pdf

Cheerio,

Ben

59 minutes ago, Cole said:

Huh, I thought the chandlers guild would be more about wax? Really nice nontheless!

My elevator pitch for the "wax abilities" is that they are suffering damage or applying conditions to themselves to achieve their effects.

Jack Flash gets extra TAC when burning, Pyre has to die to explode, or give up attacking to be able to set people on fire, Tallow spends hp to use character plays, Wick is Crazy, Beeswax has to take damage to do Grease, and take KD to do a sliding tackle, Lux gets to target someone with one of those yolo 1 inf plays at -2 def, but blinds or marked targets herself in the process.

On Tuesday, 28 November 2017 at 4:24 AM, Selfy said:

You can't just leave it like that! Hit me with your best kitchen-based pun.

GO!

I'm sure he would but they are just too hot to handle.

6 hours ago, kestershero said:

This Chandlers Guild is really, really awesome makes me wish they were TO legal

Cheers, Greg! If you're up for the Masters (or any other event where there's some time for a side game), maybe we should have playtest game with them at some point.

Was having a bit of a play with Heroforge and came up with some models for the Chandlers, too.

Beeswax.jpg.45cfc16ec801f8e26fbe7fdfae19693e.jpgJack.jpg.f4935861b3a702f3a8eb99e899529de8.jpgLux.jpg.00003b73b48bf70379fa620196f099d8.jpgTallow.jpg.28f89fbbd3a345ab6f430f796ea77a87.jpgWick.jpg.814b4986bcd95c6db80a760ce2532428.jpg

(L-R: Beeswax, Jack Flash, Lux, Tallow, Wick)

Unfortunately I heroforge doesn't do animals, so no Pyre for now. I really like Lux, she turned out pretty much how I envisaged her. Wick's not bad either, but the big guys were a problem because heroforge doesn't do "fat". Jack Flash is how I imagined him, but I'm just not sure that is itself that good a look, but hey-ho, I'm no Russ Charles ;-)

4 minutes ago, malladin.ben said:

Was having a bit of a play with Heroforge and came up with some models for the Chandlers, too.

Beeswax.jpg.45cfc16ec801f8e26fbe7fdfae19693e.jpgJack.jpg.f4935861b3a702f3a8eb99e899529de8.jpgLux.jpg.00003b73b48bf70379fa620196f099d8.jpgTallow.jpg.28f89fbbd3a345ab6f430f796ea77a87.jpgWick.jpg.814b4986bcd95c6db80a760ce2532428.jpg

(L-R: Beeswax, Jack Flash, Lux, Tallow, Wick)

Unfortunately I heroforge doesn't do animals, so no Pyre for now. I really like Lux, she turned out pretty much how I envisaged her. Wick's not bad either, but the big guys were a problem because heroforge doesn't do "fat". Jack Flash is how I imagined him, but I'm just not sure that is itself that good a look, but hey-ho, I'm no Russ Charles ;-)

I'd buy them, Ben!

18 minutes ago, Selfy said:

I'd buy them, Ben!

Links to the setups on heroforge (hope these work,never tried before):

Jack Flash: https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=1418552

Tallow: https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=1418573

Wick: https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=1418605

Beeswax: https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=1418751

Lux: https://www.heroforge.com/load_config=1418809

It's not cheap, though.

Here's a potential Pyre model: https://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/phoenix/latest/03001