Sign in to follow this  
ForestRambo

Your plans for 2018 in Guildball.

So with 2017 coming to a close, let's talk about what our plans are next year in Guildball! This year was a pretty awesome one for me, with myself finally getting some good results with regards to event (3rd at British Champs, Won a 28 Player event, 2nd to Nurser at another event).

2018 Is certainly going to see me playing ALOT of Guildball (I have like 5 games coming up in the next 5 days and with discovering Guildball on Vassal I fear the amount of time my partner may get to interact with me :P). I have applied for the England WTC team and it looks like there's a solid chance I will be invited to the British Champs invitational as well, so they're both REALLY exciting things. 

Event wise, the above are on the list as well as Vengeance and Bonescon and hopefully a few more of the larger events. Without a doubt Godtear is on my radar and I'm going to be diving headfirst into that as well.

What's your guys plans for 2018? I'm going to somewhat guess it involves some Guildball playing :D 

By 2018 I'll have been playing the game for about 6 months. I started with Butchers being a simple pickup for the game, tried out Morticians for the escalation league (but took a long time to grasp them) and recently switched to Fish, playing Shark exclusively. Picking lots of different teams is great to learn the game, but I need to focus on one team to 'git gud'. The first Blacksmiths box just arrived and with such a flexible team with lots of things to remember and precision required, I feel they are the team that really will benefit from lots and lots of practice. Once painted I hope to focus my efforts some more on them and learn yet another way to play the game.

As for WTC, well the Dubai scene has been growing for 6 months now and we're planning to send a team or two to represent the UAE at the WTC next year. We're a small but close-knit meta (|10-12 players), and hope to mix the gene pool a little next year! 

13 minutes ago, ForestRambo said:

So with 2017 coming to a close, let's talk about what our plans are next year in Guildball! This year was a pretty awesome one for me, with myself finally getting some good results with regards to event (3rd at British Champs, Won a 28 Player event, 2nd to Nurser at another event).

2018 Is certainly going to see me playing ALOT of Guildball (I have like 5 games coming up in the next 5 days and with discovering Guildball on Vassal I fear the amount of time my partner may get to interact with me :P). I have applied for the England WTC team and it looks like there's a solid chance I will be invited to the British Champs invitational as well, so they're both REALLY exciting things. 

Event wise, the above are on the list as well as Vengeance and Bonescon and hopefully a few more of the larger events. Without a doubt Godtear is on my radar and I'm going to be diving headfirst into that as well.

What's your guys plans for 2018? I'm going to somewhat guess it involves some Guildball playing :D 

Don't forget Bunker ball 3 that you also won, that was 19 people. Strong year.

My goal is to have my Masons painted before the end of the year. The increasing loss of daylight makes this somewhat harder, so I think I'm going to invest into a nice, bright lamp for my paintstation. ;) I'll try to remember to make a topic in the painting subforum, to see if people have some tips and tricks for me.

On a competitive level, I've decided to try and get as many competitive games in as possible. Currently, if I play one match per week, I'm doing good... 2017's WTC had no Dutch team, which I was terribly sad about, and there have also not been any actual Dutch championships. I guess I'm going to try and go abroad (Belgium, Germany) as much as possible just to 'git gud'. 2018's WTC will have qualifiers, if I'm not mistaken, so I hope I'll have the time to get a team together and practice enough for qualifiers (wherever they will be...).

On a personal level, my goal is to try and break into the top 250 on Longshanks. I started out barely getting into the top 1000, climbed my way up to the top 500 this year. :) Of course, Longshanks is heavily skewed on the amount of games played, but I'm hoping that I'll get enough games in to get into the range where winrate matters more than # games played.

Oh yeah, I also still need to update my battle report thread... Still have two batreps lying around. :rolleyes:

@ForestRamboIf you're gonna start playing on Vassal, hit me up sometimes. I never play against Alchemists, Hunters or Morticians, and these seem to be your go-to picks, right? ;) Would be a great learning experience. ^_^ (And gives you the possibility to pad your winratio :P)

I've been playing since, I think, 2014 but only dropping in and out as I am very sore loser and will flounce off for a few months after a 12-0 drubbing. Then come back with a new team. Rinse and repeat. That said, recently it just clicked and I'm just getting my head around the intricacies of the game, and have played more GB in the last few weeks than I have all year - about three games :rolleyes: It helps that I'm almost winning ow, rather than getting twatted. Unless its against Butchers *spits* 

So 2018 - MORE GB. I need to play people other than mates, otherwise I'll never get better. With Jay announcing Vengeance 2018 just an hour or so ago, I have something to look forward and a reason to try and improve. I have been dabbling with the idea of a VLOG of my progress. So there's that. 

I'm thinking of applying for Pundit too. Only fair they have someone that noobs can beat!

5 minutes ago, Nykolae said:

My goal is to have my Masons painted before the end of the year. The increasing loss of daylight makes this somewhat harder, so I think I'm going to invest into a nice, bright lamp for my paintstation. ;) I'll try to remember to make a topic in the painting subforum, to see if people have some tips and tricks for me.

On a competitive level, I've decided to try and get as many competitive games in as possible. Currently, if I play one match per week, I'm doing good... 2017's WTC had no Dutch team, which I was terribly sad about, and there have also not been any actual Dutch championships. I guess I'm going to try and go abroad (Belgium, Germany) as much as possible just to 'git gud'. 2018's WTC will have qualifiers, if I'm not mistaken, so I hope I'll have the time to get a team together and practice enough for qualifiers (wherever they will be...).

On a personal level, my goal is to try and break into the top 250 on Longshanks. I started out barely getting into the top 1000, climbed my way up to the top 500 this year. :) Of course, Longshanks is heavily skewed on the amount of games played, but I'm hoping that I'll get enough games in to get into the range where winrate matters more than # games played.

Oh yeah, I also still need to update my battle report thread... Still have two batreps lying around. :rolleyes:

@ForestRamboIf you're gonna start playing on Vassal, hit me up sometimes. I never play against Alchemists, Hunters or Morticians, and these seem to be your go-to picks, right? ;) Would be a great learning experience. ^_^ (And gives you the possibility to pad your winratio :P)

I am ALWAYS up for any games possible. We will totally make this happen :D

42 minutes ago, ForestRambo said:

I am ALWAYS up for any games possible. We will totally make this happen :D

I might take you up on that also someday. :)

First I was going to do all masons, all the time.....but Farmers have really grabbed my interest. My number of games has dropped this year to around 3 a month, which is nowhere near enough to git gud....so this needs improving, but time is tight.  

Guild Ball wise I just orderd the Masons and Brewers Terrain set, I'm sick of 2D Terrain. And since I don't really have a Farmers 2 Box, at least I have something to Paint, next to practicing with my Engineers.

Haven't decided if I focus on Farmers for Season 4 yet.

Tournament wise it's a little bit difficult here in Switzerland, our Meta in Berne barley has a suitable and affordable space to host bigger Tournaments. But Thanks to the WTC, some people realized Switzerland had a Team there and those people connected now with us. So there are hopes for our first Big Tournaments. :)

Internationaly speaking I'll (or We) try to come to BonesCon. 

We also heard the French want to Host a Tournament in Paris, if we can manage we'll go there too.

And of course Team Switzerland can into Poland WTC2018? 

We have a title to defend #BestSportsmanship #swisslegend :D 

I had a personal best year for competitive play this year - 12 tournaments and 5 wins (with the Harlow one still to play for next weekend) - so hopefully try and better that I guess!

Want to finish painting my teams (a few models for Alchemists and Hunters, half of Farmers and Union and all of Masons) and play a few different teams at some events!

8 minutes ago, Furnace said:

I might take you up on that also someday. :)

Game on man! 

4 minutes ago, FearLord said:

I had a personal best year for competitive play this year - 12 tournaments and 5 wins (with the Harlow one still to play for next weekend) - so hopefully try and better that I guess!

Want to finish painting my teams (a few models for Alchemists and Hunters, half of Farmers and Union and all of Masons) and play a few different teams at some events!

You mean, not playing Corsair? "Shock face" Harlow event should be a good one :D

I’m hoping to make it onto the Swedish WTC team this year, and I would also like to go to the proposed team tournament in Edinburgh in June. Oh, and to finally win a local event, not just place in them.

I only started playing in September, which was also my first tournament, my plan is to play as many games as I can and go to as many tournaments as I can. Currently played 8 games. (Only 1 win so far tho)

I'm starting to understand the game a lot more now, so next year I'll hopefully be able to win more games and try there teams. Trying to decide between Hunter's and Farmers right now. Butchers will remain my main team tho.

I would like to try and get to Vengeance if possible too, but that depends on the wife lol.

On topic however, I just started playing the game finally with my friend, after actually backing the first kickstarter with a couple of other friends. There's now three of us starting up so my main interest for 2018 concerning Guild Ball is to just learn to play the game. We've played a couple of games and now it's been varying from infuriating to fun, mainly fun and interesting change of pace however. 

I have Butchers from the KS, Entire Fishers and Blacksmiths1 coming up, looking forward to Blacksmiths2. Still learning every game and can't figure out a lot of things. 

I wasn't very interested in the Farmers until I read a silly theorycraft on Facebook about a charging Peck doing a tremendous amount of damage on a charge and I am afraid my mission for 2018 is going to be the Cock Nuke. 

Managed to win a few local tournaments this year (including one where I beat the Canadian champ the week before he won nationals)

Time willing I'd love to attend Canadian nationals in 2018 (I had no idea when and where they were being held in 2017 until the weekend before).

My wife's parents also moved back to Barnsley recently so I might try and swing a visit that will just happend to coincide with SteamCon UK next year.

Other than that, continue buying new Guild Ball stuff as fast as Steamforged releases it. 

Guess I could maybe found a 12 step support group for people with a "miniature gaming habit" ;) 

I just want to get some games in. Been away pretty much all year with work so no time for almost any hobbying, Guildball or otherwise.

Just joined a club in Newbury and Reading, so hopefully I'm on the up.

Without winning a pile of money:

2018 Goals = Play More, Get Better, Help grow the game in my area.

With winning a pile of money:

2018 Goals = Travel all over the world meeting all you lovely people and having you help me ... Play More, Get Better, and go to the pub for beers and good discussions on how we can all help grow this amazing game.

(Seriously would love to get to a Con in 2018... but more realistically that will be at least a couple of years away financially)

Abandon GB for God Tear and sell my 6 teams!

No more likely while I will jump one foot in (see handle) on God Tear, GB will stay as the only other game I'm really playing aside from RPGs.  My goal for next year is to try and make 2-3 big events in the States (currently targeting MoMCon and Steamcon US for sure and maybe Bourbon Trail).  My meta waxes and wanes depending on the difficulty of people's university course load so the last 4 months has been super light (4-5 regulars) but we should add back another 4 or so after the holidays.

I also want to play/run at least 3 rookie leagues over next year because this looks like a huge blast and all my players are excited by it.

SFG purchases planned for 2018: Darksouls Card Game, Godtear pre-kickstarter, Ratcatchers (+vet Graves), Butchers minor guild (Cutlers?), Vet Gutter.

SFG-related events planned for 2018: UK Masters, Vengeance, Steamcon. I'd also like to get to some of these playtest events mentioned, and I'd quite like to try and head south for an event, too. That and I keep telling Cal I'll come to a Potter's Guild event and never seem to manage it. If there's a Godtear event I might fancy that, too.

Other SFG-related projects: Running the Masters is probably the big one for me next year. I'll probably still kick out fan-made guilds and players. I'd also like to revisit the RPG at some point. I also have a few ideas for a GB campaign event, which I'm thinking about running as a club-night weekly thing. Basically, if I ever stop churning out untested OP fanboy shite for this game it will probably because SFG have finally relented and given me a job just to shut me up.

3 hours ago, ForestRambo said:

Game on man! 

You mean, not playing Corsair? "Shock face" Harlow event should be a good one :D

I’ve spread my wins out! 2 Alchemists, 2 Fishermen, 1 Farmers - aiming for the 2nd Farmers one at Harlow to complete the set 😜

Kind of want to shelve the Fish for a bit - I’ve been waiting a long time for my Farmers, but I’d like to get my Alchemists and Hunters back to the table at some point as well.

39 minutes ago, ForestRambo said:

You mean you've been waiting for Thresher for a long time? :P

Just the full team really - Millstone and Buckwheat are also pretty key models I like to use with Grange - having a second captain is a big deal though, and it doesn’t hurt that Thresher is a total beast 😜

So I played half a dozen games during the S1/S2 crossover and fell hard for the game. All in on Masons, a mat, tokens you name it. Then got back into playing Warmahordes locally and stopped playing Guildball (doesn't help theres some strange obsession with GW locally). I can't travel to events at the moment either so just trying to convince other locals to join me in my man cave and pick up Guildball. Another local plays regularly because he travels a bit and I think I have another 2 or 3 interested in picking up the game.

So all in all 2018 I want to get back into Guildball again maybe see about attending at least one small event and teaching my daughter the rules. I currently have a Butchers team I am assembling and painting for her as an Xmas gift :)

COLLECTING
I am going to purchase (given what we know is coming so far);
- Farmers 2
- S2 Chibi pins for Engineers, Fisherman, Union, and Farmers, and possibly for Hunters and Alchemists
- The Masons/Brewers Terrain kit
- Alchemists 2
- Art of War tokens for Alchemists and Farmers
- Any minor guilds or individual players that are released and play for Engineers, Fisherman, Union, and Farmers, and possibly for Hunters and Alchemists (From what is known this second, that means VHarry and VMinx)

HOBBY
- Paint Farmers, Hunters, Alchemists, and about half of the Union, plus whatever new purchases are listed above

PUNDIT
- I'm moving to a new area - Lombard, actually, where Steamcon US will be this year. While I've been a pundit for a while now, I haven't had much opportunity to do pundit things in my current location, so once I've moved I'm going to speak with a few game stores I know in the area and see if I can run some demos and/or an escalation league there.