Jump to content
Petraites

What about Bolt?

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Spinsane said:

Bolt is the ONE model that breaks this mold. Assuming the rule doesn't work as intended because one model makes it sound, to you, as though he breaks the rule is, and I don't mean to insult anyone here either, a bit shortsighted.

The Parting Blows rule works just fine. Bolt works just fine. He has his strengths and weaknesses. Being able to run away from engaging models even after suffering a KD on the parting blow is one of his strenghts. Other people can deal with this problem just as well if not better (Where'd They Go? is a very efficient way to do so).

 

Whatever gave you the idea I don't think the rule works as intended? I feel that the text in the rulebook isn't super clear about how the rule is intended work, but the clarification is definitely crystal clear. All is good in the world.

Also, Bolt is hardly the only model that breaks the mold. There are several models that can make multiple advances in a single activation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Myyrä said:

Whatever gave you the idea I don't think the rule works as intended?

Guess I misunderstood what you were saying then, sorry.

Things like "Apparently lawyers don't really care about mathematics." made it sound as though you felt the rule was disfunctional...

As for how the rules as they are written, I think the current system works...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spinsane said:

Bolt is the ONE model that breaks this mold.

Zarola can Midnight Offering herself and do the same. Alo Buckwheat can Carrot & Stick before the standard-advance. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Sid said:

Zarola can Midnight Offering herself and do the same. Alo Buckwheat can Carrot & Stick before the standard-advance. ;)

Fair enough. I tried thinking of other models who could do multiple advances during their activation (as opposed to Second Winding themselves once the activation was over) and couldn't right off the bat think of anyone...

Still, both of those abilities (MO and C&S) have costs ([2] Inf or a harvest marker), whereas Stamina is free... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spinsane said:

Fair enough. I tried thinking of other models who could do multiple advances during their activation (as opposed to Second Winding themselves once the activation was over) and couldn't right off the bat think of anyone...

Still, both of those abilities (MO and C&S) have costs ([2] Inf or a harvest marker), whereas Stamina is free... 

Also Truffles with Hog Wild, Fallow with Between a Rock, Snow with Oooh... BALL!, Granite with Between a Rock..., Obulus with Puppet Master, Dirge and Coin with Follow Up, vBrisket with Route One, and every model with counter charge. Some of those require more specific conditions to happen than others, but they can all get two advances during their activation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough; you first seemed to be complaining about Bolt's ability to suffer a Parting Blow and shrug it off, which most of these abilities won't help in the slightest against... Even then, quite a few of your examples are out-of-activation advances, which isn't what I'd been referring to.

Hog Wild won't let Truffles run off after getting Ked D on a parting blow (unless I misunderstand the timing?), triggering Between a Rock during Fallow's activation (which would require a Counter-Charge that would in turn trigger another) is unlikely (it's easier for Granite if VHarmony is there), Oooh... BALL! can't be used after Snow gets Knocked Down on suffering a parting blow* and Follow Up/Tag Along couldn't be triggered in-activation either...

Of these, yeah, Route One and Puppet Master are two more examples I forgot. My point remains though (especially in regards to PM), they ain't free ways of shrugging of a PartingBlowKD...

 

* Oooh... BALL! could, I guess, be triggered by kicking to space/missing a pass to jog away and suffer the PB before standing up and jogging away, but that becomes ridiculously impractical, IMO...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Spinsane said:

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear enough; you first seemed to be complaining about Bolt's ability to suffer a Parting Blow and shrug it off, which most of these abilities won't help in the slightest against... Even then, quite a few of your examples are out-of-activation advances, which isn't what I'd been referring to.

They trigger most often outside the activation, but can trigger during the model's activation as well. You just seem to lack imagination.

1 hour ago, Spinsane said:

Hog Wild won't let Truffles run off after getting Ked D on a parting blow (unless I misunderstand the timing?),

Hog Wild can trigger from counter attack (or at least character play triggered from counter attack, if this is once again one of those situations where counter attacks and attacks are different) giving Truffles its first advance. It will still have the normal one after that.

1 hour ago, Spinsane said:

triggering Between a Rock during Fallow's activation (which would require a Counter-Charge that would in turn trigger another) is unlikely (it's easier for Granite if VHarmony is there)

Not the only way or the simplest. Character play from a counter attack would work just fine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, if the thread doesn't get back to Bolt, it'll be closed. I'm getting a bit tired of the thinly veiled insults.

Edit: Ooh, synchronised warning. Go mods :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So one thing no one has mentioned is Bolt starting with the ball so we are talking 8" of potential passing dodges. Farris go first gives him +2 speed, then he starts within 6" holding the ball, gets 6" jog, pass for 4" dodge, free im open another 4" dodge 8" sprint and 6" shot so we talking 28" threat if my usually poor maths is correct. Sure it is totally telegraphed to your opponent but man is it super cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, masterkdog said:

So one thing no one has mentioned is Bolt starting with the ball so we are talking 8" of potential passing dodges. Farris go first gives him +2 speed, then he starts within 6" holding the ball, gets 6" jog, pass for 4" dodge, free im open another 4" dodge 8" sprint and 6" shot so we talking 28" threat if my usually poor maths is correct. Sure it is totally telegraphed to your opponent but man is it super cool.

Man, that's like over 2 foot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×