ForestRambo

Farmers 10.

So are people leaving out of there 10 now we have both boxes (Or at least, will do very soon). For me, Ploughman sits on the side. I want Bushel for Grange, tempted to drop Windle now Fallow is in the mix (she essentially does the same thing, is faster and isn't susceptible to character plays). 

Thoughts? 

That's my plan too. I played in the LCQ at Steamcon with the Farmers and dropped Ploughman and Windle from my lineup to get my 10. I found that Thresher doesn't miss either of them as his lineup is set as Thresher, (either mascot) Tater, Jackstraw, Millstone and Harrow. I was still able to get solid performance out of my standard Grange lineup (Grange, Buckwheat, Millstone, Harrow, Windle, Tater) by switching out Windle for Fallow, with the added benefit that my list was more mobile because I didn't have to babysit Windle to get him up the table.

The only issue I had with Fallow was she strained my harvest markers by taking two a turn for maximum performance. When I brought both her and Buckwheat in my 6 I found myself struggling to get everything I wanted done in a turn as they both bring no influence and take harvest markers. But I think I can mitigate that by switching Buckwheat for Peck or switching out a planter for Jackstraw.

4 minutes ago, Wrynisimus said:

That's my plan too. I played in the LCQ at Steamcon with the Farmers and dropped Ploughman and Windle from my lineup to get my 10. I found that Thresher doesn't miss either of them as his lineup is set as Thresher, (either mascot) Tater, Jackstraw, Millstone and Harrow. I was still able to get solid performance out of my standard Grange lineup (Grange, Buckwheat, Millstone, Harrow, Windle, Tater) by switching out Windle for Fallow, with the added benefit that my list was more mobile because I didn't have to babysit Windle to get him up the table.

The only issue I had with Fallow was she strained my harvest markers by taking two a turn for maximum performance. When I brought both her and Buckwheat in my 6 I found myself struggling to get everything I wanted done in a turn as they both bring no influence and take harvest markers. But I think I can mitigate that by switching Buckwheat for Peck or switching out a planter for Jackstraw.

I can see myself playing Grange, Peck, Harrow, Jackstraw, Tater & Bushel. That seems to be able to play 2-2 / 1-4 comfortably. I feel like I would need Millstone less in this team as people aren't trying "as hard" to shutdown grange. Thresher, Buckwheat, Fallow, Harrow, Jackstraw, Millstone seems sensible as well. 

This is all spitballing anyway :) I'm yet to use the new box. 

I would play Tater instead of Fallow. Tater is a passive user of harvest marks, so, just one can be used for both Thresher's poised and Tater's Counter Charge

So far I have my Farmers line ups in 4's by Captain

Thresher, Jackstraw, Tater, Millstone

Grange, Fallow, Tater, Millstone

I think Fallow replaces Windle for me in most Grange line ups and I can't see myself using Ploughman - Harrow, and Bushel will both see table time in the right match up and you need a mascot, so that makes 9 players. 

So, the choice for the 10th slot comes down to either wanting the extra mascot or one of the Union players and I'm undecided at present 

I don't get peck. I just find it too difficult to time his abilities. Cocky and the heroic seem good, but I can't find the right time to activate peck to make use of them.

Buckwheat, on the other hand, is just money every time I play him. 

I realise this is a problem with me rather than Peck, but I think that in Guild Ball, nothing is so far from the balance point to render it unusable, and so finding the team that fits your playstyle is the best way to go. In my butchers team, for example, I use ogRage, a player who you hardly ever see anywhere else, but he's crucial to making the team play the way I want it to play.

At the moment Peck is the only definite drop. I need to try out Ploughman, but he just seems to have the Venin problem of needing to go both early and late in the turn to do what you need him to do. Half of what I want him to do is the momentous pushes, and I think Benny just does that better. That said, I also want to try out a fast scoring team to see if it's possible, with Grange, Buckwheat, Jack, Bushel, Millstone and Grace (probably more of a thought experiment than anything I'd want to pay competitively).

Basically, it's far to early for me to decide yet. There's just too many fun options to try out.

Same as most people, I settled on leaving out Windle and Ploughman, but it wasn't an easy choice. Still need to give Ploughman a try, he doesn't appear as awful as some would say, just so hard to fit models into this line up.

Not over the moon about losing Windle either to be honest, as I do like him. I'm going to be looking closely at the spots filled by Harrow and Bushel, there might be some shake up coming!

@malladin.ben it can be hard to squeeze in time to use Cocky, I don't use it often. For me, Pecks main draw is his multiwrap charge and inf generation. Buckwheat can get things done more reliably than Peck, but doesn't produce quite the same damage spikes or any influence. For me, the mascots are a hard choice and I think I'm going to have go for a double mascot roster for the first time.

Played vs Fish last night. Took a silly list of Grange, Buckwheat, Ploughman, Jack, Millstone and Granny. 

Without Harrow, Granny finds it really hard vs Fish. I only managed to get her into Honest Labour 1 turn out of 5 I think (long game off the clock!)

Grange got 2TO turns twice in the game. Jackstraw was pretty crucial in killing the ball vs Fish, and gave me the time to grind it out to a 6 TO win.

Ploughman did bugger all all game. One charge on siren got a momentous double push, but it really wasn't consequential. He ended up gettting stuck so far behind the rest of the team he couldn't contribute.

Grange remains a solid, interesting choice. Granny is very powerful, but workable around (she ended up stuck on Jac for most of the game, doing 4 damage and a KD to him each turn). When I finally got Grange into range she evaporated Sakana in 1 round. 

Whilst the 4 Planter team might look powerful, generating 15 INF most turns, it was largely inefficient in how it used it, and with Ploughman rather than Harrow, it was occasionally struggling for harvest markers. With that swap it might be better. I think you need buckwheat if you are taking grange and 3 planter-players.

No one was likely to take this team, but just in case anyone else feels like being a special snowflake, it doesn't work. There may be a place for ploughman, but this isn't it.

I want to like Ploughman but he's only good for one extra harvest market unless he's under grange. Jackstraw is just better, and other options give harvest markers far easier. The most appealing thing about him is his access to momentous pushes. He's almost the only one. 

Cocky doesn't come up often but when it does it's really key. I also like the extra 1inf, whereas buckwheat in a Thresher team always geeks like a Reaper too far. 

I think my 10 framers would currently be Thresher, Grange, bickwheat, millstone, tater, jackstraw, harrow, ploughman, fallow and grace

I'd like to use ploughman in grange. List when I don't need tooled up so I could get 2 harvest markers in 1st turn, also it seems that his marker placement might be more reliable than harrow's, and granny sure needs her markers

Grace i'd use in thresher's list instead of harrow when quick time might be more important than tooled up (I'm thinking for example blacksmiths, maybe alchemists)

So general teams would be:

Thresher, buckwheat, tater, millstone, jackstraw and harrow/grace

Grange, buckwheat, tater, millstone, fallow, ploughman/harrow

When farmers won't be able to use union I'd swich her for bushel so I could play more ball.

If gic are going to be used i'd mist likely use crack at dawn in grange list to power up granny and generate 5 harvest markers.

On 23/11/2017 at 3:02 PM, malladin.ben said:

I don't get peck. I just find it too difficult to time his abilities. Cocky and the heroic seem good, but I can't find the right time to activate peck to make use of them.

I have got a lot of use out of Peck vs. Brewers. His Heroic is awesome, as it can nullify large parts of the Tapper/Hopper combo by removing :KD:, give you dodges to get crowd outs and support, and if you are all close together (you are playing Farmers, of course you are) it's great MP efficiency. Cocky wants to go on Windle/Fallow/Grange to keep them upright ready for murdering.

3 hours ago, Jedianakinsolo said:

I want to like Ploughman but he's only good for one extra harvest market unless he's under grange. Jackstraw is just better, and other options give harvest markers far easier. The most appealing thing about him is his access to momentous pushes. He's almost the only one. 

Cocky doesn't come up often but when it does it's really key. I also like the extra 1inf, whereas buckwheat in a Thresher team always geeks like a Reaper too far. 

Peck is definitely in my 10, and even though I quite enjoyed Ploughman in the one game I've used him in so far, I can see him being the least useful of the rest of the bunch. I had a great first turn with Ploughman, sticking down 2 AoE's to block charge lanes, then managing to get a Millstone token into one of them, and a Jackstraw token to hit the other, maxing out my Harvest tokens in the centre-right of the pitch and making Thesher and Tater quite scary, especially with Millstone within 6" of each. Ploughman had a good chance to shove Hopper off Thresher during a counter attack later on, but only managed one hit out of 6 dice. Seems a little like Harry - lots of pushes and some helpful but (more) situational AoE's.

It's not that I dislike Ploughman, I just find that generally Jackstraw, Millstone and Harrow each bring more utility and that 3 planters is usually enough. 

My typical line ups of late as follows:

Thresher, Peck, Tater, Millstone, Jackstraw and a flex slot (usually Harrow or Bushel depending on the match up)

Grange, Buckwheat, Tater, Millstone, Fallow and Jackstraw (have sometimes swapped in Bushel or Harrow) 

I've started to rely alot on the Tater, Millstone, Jackstraw trio.

While I see that tater and millstone seem to be must haves, first being great counter mofel woth counter charge, playbook kd and sweeping charge and the second one being great support providing practically 4 inf (3 and a marker) and having great supportove skill (incidentally also quite a good playbook), but I can't justify jackstraw in grange lists that much

Also I believe that playing 4 reapers and 3 planters might be quite harsh, as you'd run out of markers quite quickly