Zirenius

Basing ideas?

Dear all,

what are your ideas on re-basing the Blacksmiths? I checked both this Subforum and the Showcase for related topics and could not find any.

I hope that this is now in the right sub-forum, as it is Blacksmiths-related and I do not want to showcase anything yet. I only just got my Blacksmiths and think that they deserve more than they come with in terms of bases.

Have a nice day,

Sebastian

Problem with basing Guild Ball miniatures for me is, I like to make thematic bases, but with Guild Ball, well, since they are posed for the game and the game is being played on a field dedicated for the game itself.. It's going to look really weird that the Blacksmiths, for example, would be dragging along their entire smithy with them to the game (if you make a thematic smithy basing for them) :D So I am quite interested in this topic too. 

I’ve found that doing quite simple bases helps with that - my morticians are on mortuary garden bases, so I can place them in a scenic setting but it’s also one they might concievably use as a practice pitch (or at least, it would look similar. They probably don’t play in the actual graveyard...).

So for the smiths I picture them training and playing in a large stone courtyard, with their forges and stables around the edges. They’ll have some bits of ironwork around, maybe an old forge left out as a practice aid, maybe bits of straw or trails of coal from a split bag.

That kind of thing works for me as a way to make them feel like they’re playing in their guild house grounds, which splits the difference of the two basing themes :)

6 hours ago, Furnace said:

Problem with basing Guild Ball miniatures for me is, I like to make thematic bases, but with Guild Ball, well, since they are posed for the game and the game is being played on a field dedicated for the game itself.. It's going to look really weird that the Blacksmiths, for example, would be dragging along their entire smithy with them to the game (if you make a thematic smithy basing for them) :D So I am quite interested in this topic too. 

6 hours ago, Mako said:

I’ve found that doing quite simple bases helps with that - my morticians are on mortuary garden bases, so I can place them in a scenic setting but it’s also one they might concievably use as a practice pitch (or at least, it would look similar. They probably don’t play in the actual graveyard...).

So for the smiths I picture them training and playing in a large stone courtyard, with their forges and stables around the edges. They’ll have some bits of ironwork around, maybe an old forge left out as a practice aid, maybe bits of straw or trails of coal from a split bag.

That kind of thing works for me as a way to make them feel like they’re playing in their guild house grounds, which splits the difference of the two basing themes :)

Thanx for the Input. I think that you are both spot on. I am really tempted to do too much to them, I guess. Maybe painting them first and rebasing them later is actually the better way to go here (for the time being, at least!). (Also, by that time, more people will actually have painted them leading to more... Inspiration. :))

4 minutes ago, Zirenius said:

Thanx for the Input. I think that you are both spot on. I am really tempted to do too much to them, I guess. Maybe painting them first and rebasing them later is actually the better way to go here (for the time being, at least!). (Also, by that time, more people will actually have painted them leading to more... Inspiration. :))

The hunters team that was in the competition at steamcon was on incredible bases, built up like rocky uneven ancient forest. Seenah’s bade was as big as the model nearly, if I remember right! Looked amazing, and for the hunters it really works. For some of the more industrial/city based guilds, coming up with big complex stuff can really get tricky...

I always paint first and base later, like you say it gives you that extra time to try and think of something (my sledge is painted, but unbased until I get inspiration and come up with colours :D )

Start with a simple concept, and build from there is my approach these days.

52 minutes ago, Mako said:

The hunters team that was in the competition at steamcon was on incredible bases, built up like rocky uneven ancient forest. Seenah’s bade was as big as the model nearly, if I remember right! Looked amazing, and for the hunters it really works. For some of the more industrial/city based guilds, coming up with big complex stuff can really get tricky...

I always paint first and base later, like you say it gives you that extra time to try and think of something (my sledge is painted, but unbased until I get inspiration and come up with colours :D )

Start with a simple concept, and build from there is my approach these days.

Yes. You are right. Paint them first and give them some playtime. If the Kickoff models are any indication,. re-basing them later should not prove too difficult. Thank you again!

I take a different approach. Base first, paint never. 

Back on topic though, I am awaiting my Blacksmith box and I'm at the moment contemplating on how to base my fish, I'd like to make a sort of a pier type basing for them with water effects, would go with the fisher theme but then again, it would be faster to base them as they are, on the pitch. 

Any pictures of the winning hunters? I feel like they could actually play in a forest, so they're easy to base in theme. Blacksmiths I feel are tougher on the basing front.

I was contemplating on the idea for the Blacksmiths to be dragging around weapons, maybe in barrels and such. The goal I also thought to add a few barrels of weaponry etc, maybe a weapon rack.