Sign in to follow this  
THE_DOJO_JAKE

3 Goal Team

Hello once again everyone.  I wanted to pick your brain on experiences trying to win games with three goals instead of a standard 2-2.  I could be wrong in this but I’ve found I’m having a hard time getting more than one takeout post Harry.  Kat1 is usually good for one if I supplement Decimate but I can’t seem to get the second takeout before my opponent wrecks me.  I’ve tried AG but they are too slow and take up way too much influence to be effective.

I get condition damage can wear down a team as well but Smoke is awful at retrieving the ball so I prefer to use Midas in most games.

Is anyone using a lineup with Mist? Thinking that a potential lineup of Midas Naja Vitriol Mist Venin and Compound could be great for 3/0 games but not sure if they can survive long enough.  Also worried that Harry is too good of a control piece against Tapper, Blacksmiths, Ox, Farmers, Masons to not include.  Any opinions would be most welcome!

Midas, Naja, Compound, oKat, Vitriol & Mist give you a really solid start at looking for 3 goals. oKat alone is enough to pressure a take out or two over the course of a game if everything goes wrong. 

1 minute ago, ForestRambo said:

Midas, Naja, Compound, oKat, Vitriol & Mist give you a really solid start at looking for 3 goals. oKat alone is enough to pressure a take out or two over the course of a game if everything goes wrong. 

That’s kind of along the lines of what I was thinking. My biggest concern I think is losing a control piece in Harry to shut down low Def kill teams with Goad, Molotov, and Rising Anger.  They will most likely still kill Harry but I can dictate the terms where.

I've played around with the idea of a Midas 3-0 team but I'm not convinced it's viable in a tournament scenario because it's not something you want to drop into everyone and I really want to bring Decimate over Mist for other matchups. That being said, in casual games or if you're really committed to the idea, I'd try:

Midas/Naja/Vitriol/oKat/Mist/Flex

OKat is in there for three reasons: His knockdowns and burning help keep the enemy beaters off our strikers, he can score opportunistic goals himself with 8" movement and a 6" kick, and frankly he's the Alchs best player after the errata and I struggle to leave him out unless it's for VKat in a Smoke list. 

In most matchups I'd give the Flex spot to Calculus because Blind is really good and her poison can weaken people to help you transition to a 2-2 game if the last goal doesn't look like it's happening. Compound is a good option for teams you think are going to be coming into your half, but if you're going for a 3-0 plan you're probably trying to score with someone turn 1 and unless you pulled Knee Slider they're going to get mobbed by the other team who then won't bother coming into your half until way late in the game. There's an argument to be made for Crucible because she's pretty decent at soccer herself and "Slip Past" can do some real cool things for you, but I've personally been unable to make her into anything but a momentum farm and 2VP for the other team. I think Venin's major strength on this team is his mom T < on 2, but your three strikers are all very capable of getting the ball themselves so it seems of little use. He's also got 8" movement and 8" kick to threaten goals even if the other team manages to tie up your three actual strikers but this doesn't feel relevant often enough to warrant bringing him. Mercury is good for his low tackle and fire, but the tackle is situational for the same reasons as Venin and Katalyst should be dishing out enough fire that I'd rather have Calculus's poison as well, to soften people up for a possible transition to 2-2.

On the point of Harry, his control ability is nice, but if you're going for a 3-0 gameplan I think you have to take Mist so it's just something you'll have to live with. I don't think Alchs have the in-guild players available to reliably threaten a 3-0 game while they're taking Harry.

Midas, Flask, Vitriol, Calculus, Mist, vetKat give a solid team for 3 goals or 2 goals and a Witness me! TO. However if you're playing against a team which really limits your Witness Me option (lots of Tough Hide or numerous Reanimations) then I would go oKat and Crucible instead of Mist. If your positioning is correct you might screw up the opponents turn. KD and External Combustion into 4" from Crucible means that player can't be the opponents first activation if you have initiative. Other than that, if you don't feel comfortable with going for 3 goals, then take Decimate, she gives out some mom dmg and has mom T>> for goal scoring. Also second wind is kind of a Knee Slider on the first turn ;) 

I just won a 3 goal game with Midas, Vitriol, Mist, Naja, Compound and Crucible. Got two goals from Mist and one from Crucible, who I feel is a bit underrated. 

Though, my opponent has a long history of absolutely hating Midas, so he did get a bit bloodlust-y and killed Midas instead of trying to stop me from scoring. Vitriol also had to sacrifice herself, but I found the team to be pretty good as a scoring team. Ended up winning 12-2. 

I played A LOT of games at Steamcon US and to be honest I found a lot of success with three goal Alchs.  In just about every game I took Midas, Naja, Mist, Vitriol, a Katalyst, and a flex.  Receiving is an almost automatic win getting that first goal and then two flankers for a quick takeaway and goal. The teams I had the most trouble with were Brewers (as usual) and Blacksmiths (tons of armor and reach).  Kicking was a little bit harder as most good players are gonna burn the ball so Mist and Vitriol can't snag it back.  Any thoughts on this or how you would drop Smoke in?