ForestRambo

Hunters Matchups, when to draft which captain.

2 minutes ago, Benito said:

@ForestRambo You have to be careful with Egret. She is very fun to play but I do not count the games where she goes forward, tries a Flurry, misses her target (even snared) and finds herself within easy reach of the opponent who has only to chew.
Back to the shadow is very useful in her style of games but beware it can turn against her!

I prefer Zarola to carry the ball personally.

Yeah I'd only ever do it on a def 2/3 player. Chances of missing a 3 on 2 dice are <85%. Agree on Zarola though, a neat ball holder.

4 hours ago, ForestRambo said:

Yeah I'd only ever do it on a def 2/3 player. Chances of missing a 3 on 2 dice are <85%. Agree on Zarola though, a neat ball holder.

I'm guessing you meant <15% as it's around 11%. Not that 11% isn't <85%...

17 hours ago, ForestRambo said:

I REALLY hope our minor guild isn't released before vMinx is, losing her would suck.

That said, REALLY excited for the 2 extra players we're going to be able to use. Hunter team seems pretty wide open at the moment so they really could give us anything. 

vMinx is going to be a Hunters player, not a Union player. So it doesn't matter if she comes out before or after minor guilds, she's gonna be a Hunter option for life. 

2 hours ago, CaptCommy said:

vMinx is going to be a Hunters player, not a Union player. So it doesn't matter if she comes out before or after minor guilds, she's gonna be a Hunter option for life. 

It does.. They have said that once the minor guilds are out, the major guild can no longer use Union. Therefore if the minor guild comes out before veteran Minx does.... There will be neither OG Minx or vet minx to choose from. 

21 hours ago, Penguin Warrior said:

I'd be playing Skatha just about every game right now if I hadn't fallen back in love with Shark recently :P

EDIT: Nevermind, I found what I was looking for. Skatha has a really cool sculpt! :)

9 hours ago, Totes McAwesome said:

It does.. They have said that once the minor guilds are out, the major guild can no longer use Union. Therefore if the minor guild comes out before veteran Minx does.... There will be neither OG Minx or vet minx to choose from. 

vMinx isn't a Union player, full stop. She's a Hunter player, with the green card and everything. 

26 minutes ago, CaptCommy said:

vMinx isn't a Union player, full stop. She's a Hunter player, with the green card and everything. 

I think what’s meant is that if the minor guild come out before vMinx, there will be a short gap where oMinx is no longer available to the hunters, and vMinx is not yet available - so for a brief period neither minx will be available, until vMinx comes out and provides hunters with a minx model again.

4 minutes ago, Mako said:

I think what’s meant is that if the minor guild come out before vMinx, there will be a short gap where oMinx is no longer available to the hunters, and vMinx is not yet available - so for a brief period neither minx will be available, until vMinx comes out and provides hunters with a minx model again.

Oh, yeah, that would make sense. Reading comprehension is really hard, guys 

4 hours ago, Mako said:

This guy gets it.

22 hours ago, Mako said:

What is being discussed with this "Minor Guild?" Are Union becoming their own thing?

20 minutes ago, Anudem said:

What is being discussed with this "Minor Guild?" Are Union becoming their own thing?

Short answer, yes :)

Basically, each major guild will get an associated minor guild over time. Two players from the minor guild and two from the major guild will become dual guild for both major and minor. Once a guild has its minor released, they will no longer be able to take any Union choices. Major guilds will lose their Union slot but gain two models from their minor guild.

With the morticians, the ratcatchers will be their minor guild. At the keynote it was shown that vGraves and bonesaw will be dual mortician/ratcatchers, while Skulk (the SC17 model) and a lady called Pelage will be dual guild morticians. Once the ratcatchers are out, the morticians can no longer take any Union choices (but will of course have vHemlocke as she’s a full mortician).

The Union will be a fully independent guild eventually, as no one else will have access to their models any more.

14 minutes ago, Mako said:

Short answer, yes :)

Basically, each major guild will get an associated minor guild over time. Two players from the minor guild and two from the major guild will become dual guild for both major and minor. Once a guild has its minor released, they will no longer be able to take any Union choices. Major guilds will lose their Union slot but gain two models from their minor guild.

With the morticians, the ratcatchers will be their minor guild. At the keynote it was shown that vGraves and bonesaw will be dual mortician/ratcatchers, while Skulk (the SC17 model) and a lady called Pelage will be dual guild morticians. Once the ratcatchers are out, the morticians can no longer take any Union choices (but will of course have vHemlocke as she’s a full mortician).

The Union will be a fully independent guild eventually, as no one else will have access to their models any more.

Cheers! Ratcatchers sound like a really cool Guild for us Hunters. Oh well. So will these minor Guilds be more supplementary to major Guilds or can they be played as a Guild as well? Will each minor guild be dedicated to one major guild, or is their a chance we may see a Ratcatcher model option? Link/vid so I don't de-rail the thread?

8 minutes ago, Anudem said:

Cheers! Ratcatchers sound like a really cool Guild for us Hunters. Oh well. So will these minor Guilds be more supplementary to major Guilds or can they be played as a Guild as well? Will each minor guild be dedicated to one major guild, or is their a chance we may see a Ratcatcher model option? Link/vid so I don't de-rail the thread?

from about 8.40 Mat covers them. Basically they’ll be a 6 model guild, made up to 8 with the two dual guild players from the major guild. So you could play morts, or ratcatchers :)

...and now back to your regularly scheduled programming :D

So I thought I'd come back to this topic after having played Hunters again for a bit and being surprised by a few things. I've been playing Theron more recently and have to admit that he's really good. The momentous 1 on his first column and his ability to use Blessing on himself make him feel really smooth. I'm still struggling to find goals with him, but I've only really just begun my Theron trial :)

I actually think I'd favor Theron into Butchers. As a team, the Butchers don't have almost any ranged threats, meaning they have to engage the other team to do what they want to do, which is a playstyle Theron can punish ridiculously hard. If he's up against Ox, he just controls the engagement and sets up Ox to get thrashed. If he plays into Fillet, you can just use that momentous 1 on 1 to counterpunch her super hard. Sure, he might miss some shots into her, but as soon as he hits anything, she becomes pretty vulnerable. So while I like the idea of scoring goals to outpace the Butchers, I've had better experiences forcing them into dragged out brawls, where their lack of durability gets exposed by Theron's ability to hand out Snared and force awkward activations.

So currently:

Theron: Butchers, Engineers, Farmers, Morticians, Fishermen

Skatha: Alchemists, Brewers, Masons, Union, Hunters

Toss ups: Blacksmiths (think I'd favor Skatha if I end up fitting Snow into my 10)

Interesting :) I'd totally disagree with Skatha into Alchemists. I can see where you're coming from in regards to Butchers I think Theron does well enough into Filet as well. 

Well I've played mostly into Smoke, who doesn't want to engage until she's ready to get a take out, preferably with vKat. The fact is that they are going to win an attritional fight from range. Instead, I figure that I'd want to close the gap and get into a brawl, where Smoke's team is going to eventually lose to our superior playbook damage. So I'd run Skatha, Fahad, Zarola, Jaecar, Seenah, and Minx. Lots of movement range and repositioning to help power through Burning and Blind and anything else they throw out. Meanwhile, Skatha threatens the ball so much more than Theron, meaning that if we play the game largely in the Alchemists half of the field, we can threaten two goals pretty easily.

I hear what you're saying. I most often play Theron, Fahad, oHearne, Seenah, Jaecar & Minx into Alchs with Hunters. I think I've only lost one game against them at events in 10+ I've played against them. Different things work for different players, if it works for you it's all good.

I think in General Hunters have a solid game v Alchs.

I'd agree. How do you play the vRage match up by the by? I ran Skatha against him last night and won, but Benediction kind of feels like the end of the world against the Hunters. If I have to kick and they put the ball on Benediction after a Mist goal, I'm not sure how Hunters get the ball off of him or win the brawl

vRage is one of the tougher match ups if I'm honest. I play Skatha and games are only ever a tight win, it's just a tough match up where our lack of ball retrieval methods are really highlighted against a player like benedection in cover with Braced. The >> on his free CA is ballbreaking. 

I feel like you can drop any captain into any match up, I don't feel like it is necessarily wrong, these are just my personal preferences,
Just remembered I had this already pre-written so might as well share

Alchemists
Theron
If they drop smoke I feel Theron just ends up generating way more momentum to clear the conditions, Forcing smoke player to go first and it just ends up a bad time for Smoke. Midas is stronger into Theron, but since the errata I haven't even seen him.

Blacksmiths
Theron - Leaning theron but haven't played it
Too early for me to have concrete feelings on this, but given they tend to set up a couple of players anything that can mess with this, I feel is a good way to go

Brewers
Skatha
Esters condition clearing game is really frustrating for Theron. Just score goals with Skatha and use the speed of players to pick off the players with weak counter attacks. Try not to play the brewers game although sometimes i admit you get half way into the game and go, why am I in the middle fighting these guys?

Butchers
Theron
Most Hunters actually have very strong counter attacks. I feel like you can out brawl Butchers. You can use back to the shadows to force them to move into you, then counter to avoid damage. It's not a certain thing by any means.

Engineers
Skatha
This may sound weird and counter-intuitive. The way I feel to destroy most control teams, is to out football them. Apply all sorts of pressure on them. Control teams generally congregate around the goal, meaning if you do get the ball off them. You can often take a 2 dice shot on goal and score. Also Engineers are a pain to kill, although Ratchet will usually die at least twice

Farmers
*Shrug*
in theory there is merit to both captains

Fisherman
Theron
vs Corsair Play Stand behind a nimble Fahad first turn with Theron. I like Egret in this match up, because if she does get roped in, she can usually snap fire a few times to get out of the death bubble. Forcing movement and additional resources to be spent trying to kill her. It's quite hard for Hunters to be honest, because the ball is very hard to keep under control.

Hunters
Skatha
See my comments about Engineers, Theron is quite susceptible to ball pressure from multiple angles.

Masons
Skatha
It's Interesting because I feel like Honour I really want Theron, but against Hammer... I don't feel like Theron achieves anything at all. Sure he may stop Hammer from doing stuff, but then Theron isn't exactly doing much in turn. So I feel you can use Skatha's team slipperiness to avoid Hammer all together. Seemed to work in practice and vs Fraser in the semi final, where Hammer didn't achieve too much for the first few turns

Morticians
Skatha
Honestly playing either is fine. No real preference, I just like Skatha due to Obulus is a little less pain of the arse, as you can snowball in and grab the ball off him. Where Theron doesn't have many options.

Union
Theron
Vet Rage honestly kills Theron and usually Seenah, but I feel like you can trade kills rather effectively.  Vrage gets very hesistant about committing. If he goes too deep he just ends up dying. Once Vrage does end up cleaning out Theron and Seenah, the other players are usually nowhere near him for him to carry on his rampage.