Jump to content
TheRaven

Black Friday Sales

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Spinsane said:

Which has me wondering why they didn't include Decimate... Was the sculpt inappropriate for casting? It's a shame, I liked that alt sculpt alot more than the original...

Maybe they have other plans for it, like league packs or a later release. Granted, maybe not (I have no insider knowledge so I’m just guessing :D ). It could just be one the staff get to enjoy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shauni55 said:

Ok, I know I'm going to get some heat for this, but I feel it needs to be said.

After all of their talk about supporting LGS's with things such as promo sculpts, I feel like this sale is in direct opposition to that idea. This is just my opinion, but feel free to dispute it as I am very often wrong (ask my wife). This is a big selling time for any retail business, and between the lowered prices and the free items for buying (like the dice), it just bothers me that SFG talked a lot about how they were in full support of shops. Now, if SFG or any other company wants to offer lower prices and compete with LGS that's 100% fine, but don't contradict what you've publicly said in the past.

I agree with you, to some extent. Declaring your support of LGS then doing things that directly  and intentionally take their sales is frustrating. What bugged me most was the sale of Farmers box 2 at Steamcon, immediatly after saying purchases at LGS will get alt Millstone. Clearly no one is going to wait 2.5 months just for an alt sculpt, so every early sale at Steamcon is directly taking away from an LGS. Someone offered to ninja a box for me, and I just couldn't say no - I have 2 events coming before the retail release and at least one of them is planning to allow Farmers2 and Blacksmiths2, I don't want to miss out on 2.5 months of learning them compared to everyone else (most people attending those events were at Steamcon), and I paint slowly so I need as much time to get them ready as I can. That's directly led to me not ordering from my LGS.

Also, how does it support your LGS if the sculpt is allowed to be sold online with an order? I've seen a couple of online stores offering alt Millstone with Farmers2 at a discount on RRP - my small local LGS doesn't offer discount on Guild Ball products, so is going to lose out there as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, S_A_T_S said:

Also, how does it support your LGS if the sculpt is allowed to be sold online with an order? I've seen a couple of online stores offering alt Millstone with Farmers2 at a discount on RRP - my small local LGS doesn't offer discount on Guild Ball products, so is going to lose out there as well.

Don't get me started on the alt-sculpts... I think trying to suggest they are an "incentive" to purchase as your LGS is a stretch... A) You have to pay for them B ) You have to buy that model to begin with in order to even be allowed to order the alt sculpt (IE there's already a millstone in the box you're buying, why pay $10 for another?)

Honestly, some of SFG's recent tactics has me questioning just how supporting of LGS they actually are. 

Sincere question: Doesn't SFG have a MAP in place? and does the 20% off fall in line with that MAP?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say it's fairly obvious that the "support your FLGS" initiative is actually "we want you to tell your FLGS that you want moar Guildball" initiative. Not that I'm judging or anything. Seems like a reasonably crafty business plan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they really wanted to support LGS they would just stop pre-orders and presales for everything. 

These limited edition models are cool but I don't think they'll really have the intended/advertised impact, and it'll just lead to more ebay gouging for those that don't have the social capital to get it at retail prices. I know I'm not able to get one through intended means so I'll have to rely on my charms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spinsane said:

Which has me wondering why they didn't include Decimate... Was the sculpt inappropriate for casting? It's a shame, I liked that alt sculpt alot more than the original...

The reason it's only Gutter is because original Gutter looks a midget compared to Benediction, or even Grace. Also, currently only one player and a mascot are needed to create a non-midget Solthecian line-up. That assumes you have LE Mist and not midget Mist, of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CaerSidis said:

But what has Gutter to do with solthecian. ..exept from the sculpt of the alternate? 

Has someone the Picture of the alternate Decimate? 

Nothing.

Decimate doesn't either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, CaerSidis said:

So maybe i dont get your point...:(

I'm confused now. I wasn't making a point.

I'm not sure why there are Solthecian sculpts of Gutter and Decimate, but I'll take it because the original sculpts are crap, in my opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CaerSidis said:

Okey my fault you Talk about size and how the sculpts look... 

Wil by them to...Same reason. ..

To be honest I really liked the Fishermans veteran Gutter. I think that was the best sculpt, better than the Butcher one. However, I like the Solthecian one much better than the original.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, S_A_T_S said:

Also, how does it support your LGS if the sculpt is allowed to be sold online with an order? I've seen a couple of online stores offering alt Millstone with Farmers2 at a discount on RRP - my small local LGS doesn't offer discount on Guild Ball products, so is going to lose out there as well.

Interested to know which stores have got alt-Millstone/farmers2 online. I couldn't find any when I was looking. I phoned up one usually well-stocked store and they said they didn't have instructions on how to process the order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Selfy said:

I'm confused now. I wasn't making a point.

I'm not sure why there are Solthecian sculpts of Gutter and Decimate, but I'll take it because the original sculpts are crap, in my opinion.

Those have come up only because Russ (the SFG Sculptor) wanted to make a Solthecian team for himself when Btisket, Grace and Benediction came out. To fill out his 6 he added custom alt Coin, Gutter and Decimate.

(Sorry, can't find a pic on Google with a quick search, and I'm at work so can't quite take longer to look out for it...)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaerSidis said:

But what has Gutter to do with solthecian. ..exept from the sculpt of the alternate?

Maybe ... to make this team work in terms of the story ... we could imagine a point in time when Brisket has just joined the Union, with Grace and Benediction, and they manage to fit a game or two in before the Church lock all the Union up ... perhaps Rage is having a week off at the time! So Brisket/Grace/Benediction and Decimate are all ready to play a game. Gutter turns up looking for Rage (who is away) and plays the match too. Gutter has bought a new snake from the pet shop in memory of Blackheart. Then after the game Rage returns, there's a big dispute and they all get locked up! (Next: Union in Chains)

That's my best attempt to justify it anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, shauni55 said:

Don't get me started on the alt-sculpts... I think trying to suggest they are an "incentive" to purchase as your LGS is a stretch... A) You have to pay for them B ) You have to buy that model to begin with in order to even be allowed to order the alt sculpt (IE there's already a millstone in the box you're buying, why pay $10 for another?)

Honestly, some of SFG's recent tactics has me questioning just how supporting of LGS they actually are. 

Sincere question: Doesn't SFG have a MAP in place? and does the 20% off fall in line with that MAP?

They are an incentive. But indirectly. Since I can't buy locally I plan on having to buy twice (or 3+ times when my local shops let me down) if my connections can't get it, or I plan on selling my farmers/Smiths 2 before release for inflated prices so I can afford to pay the inflated prices of the alt sculpts. 

Or SFG could just let me give them my money for alt sculpts online like they have in the past since it's not their job to save mediocre (but appreciated) local stores run by gamers instead of business folk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ik-tornado said:

 

They are an incentive. But indirectly. Since I can't buy locally I plan on having to buy twice (or 3+ times when my local shops let me down) if my connections can't get it, or I plan on selling my farmers/Smiths 2 before release for inflated prices so I can afford to pay the inflated prices of the alt sculpts. 

Or SFG could just let me give them my money for alt sculpts online like they have in the past since it's not their job to save mediocre (but appreciated) local stores run by gamers instead of business folk.

I genuinely don't understand what you're saying at all. An incentive cannot be indirect. You say you can't buy locally, but also said "when my local shops let me down." So can you buy locally or not? Finally,  I don't believe you'e saying all local stores are mediocre and ran by gamers instead of business folks. I have many fine stores around me run by very savvy business people, who to be fair still struggle to stock SFH products because distribution isn't always on point.

 

Also, I hope it's clear to you why LGS are so invaluable to game companies such as SFG. Without them many of the game companies we love could not survive 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, shauni55 said:

I genuinely don't understand what you're saying at all. An incentive cannot be indirect. You say you can't buy locally, but also said "when my local shops let me down." So can you buy locally or not? Finally,  I don't believe you'e saying all local stores are mediocre and ran by gamers instead of business folks. I have many fine stores around me run by very savvy business people, who to be fair still struggle to stock SFH products because distribution isn't always on point.

 

Also, I hope it's clear to you why LGS are so invaluable to game companies such as SFG. Without them many of the game companies we love could not survive 

I can attempt to order from multiple stores but they'll never actually put an effort to order, but then there's the chance they get it 3 months late because they forget to place the order, in case they do that much I'm stuck purchasing something I gave up on getting. So no, I can't buy locally with enough reliability to be more that a shot in the dark . 

It is an indirect incentive for me to purchase, that may be a made up term, I'm not the best at English /shrug. I'm encouraged to buy it because I enjoy alternate sculpts for hobby aspects. Sure I could just use the one in the box but I could pretty much use proxies at anywhere that allows prerelease models in tournaments. But it ends up indirect because my store never getting it. Right now I'm giving someone's local store roughly 500 miles away a shot at getting my alt sculpt, which doesn't directly help the store I play at. Or I'm buying an upcharged one. At some point an LGS that doesn't grow my community is getting some money on a product that isn't even a major source of profit. Which defeats the purpose.

If they're not mediocre and run by people bad at doing business they shouldn't be in need of SFG giving up the profit for a middle man to help them successfully make money. So the exceptions to the rule are not included in my statement.

And I think the benefit of a local game store for game companies has little to do with selling stuff. Just having table space and a self motivated pair of players that heard about a game on the internet does way more than product on shelves. LGS should look into alternate approaches to making profit and replace the store aspect for the most part with things like Bars, cafes, deals with restaurants, most stores make a better profit from candy and drinks than non-mtg products anyway. Idk maybe I'm Jaded by my experiences because I have to go 1.5 hours to get to a good shop. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Realy disapointed to see that solthecian decimate is not in the fractured loyalties box.... I bought Mist LE, G&B and 3risket to play the solthecian team ;(

 

Feels like this black friday thing is mainly aimed at new players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ik-tornado said:

If they're not mediocre and run by people bad at doing business they shouldn't be in need of SFG giving up the profit for a middle man to help them successfully make money. So the exceptions to the rule are not included in my statement.

I suffer from rather terrible local stores as well, so I can feel your pain. The one that has enough space and capital to stock more marginal games like Guild Ball doesn't have any real gaming space and has very high prices. The ones that offer gaming space either can't or won't stock more marginal games, and even if they are often willing to order stuff for me the wait time can be months, and I will end up paying at least 50% more than if I had just ordered the stuff online and gotten it within 2 weeks.

That being said, I don't think SFG is making a mistake making some models "only" available through local stores. I suspect most Guild Ball (and other miniature) sales are actually done through those local stores. The people that populate forums like this and are aware of these types of special order opportunities are not the entirety of the customer base that a miniature company wants to tap. While the people who are past their teens usually have more money to spend on miniature games, they tend to suffer from lack of time, especially after they somehow end up with kids of their own. Since most of the older folks have already been hobbyists for quite some time they already know where they are going to buy their games from and where they can get more or less anything they want, so ordering online or whatever is often no big deal for them. They are only going to support their local stores if they like them or they like their prices.

So, how does this relate to SFG supporting local stores with miniatures that can only be ordered through them? It's actually in a miniature company's interests to get the already active players, that will buy the products they want regardless of whether the local store stocks them or not, to visit the local stores and tell them they want some Guild Ball. If the store has several people coming in and asking for more Guild Balls, they are going to notice that. That will increase their interest in stocking and displaying Guild Ball, and that is important because of the other customer segments. With the Christmas coming up, many parents, grandparents and whatnot are going to be wandering the stores with or without their kids. They are not equipped with the same kind of information as the active hobbyists. If they don't really know what they are there to buy, they will likely go for something that is on display, and even if they already more or less know what they are there to buy, they are going to go for the stuff they can get their hands on immediately, because it's only 3 days until Christmas or birthday or whatever.

So, what SFG is doing here is actually creating a system where everyone acting in their own self interests is going to increase the sales for Guild Ball. If some stores that are already stocking the game very visibly happen to make some extra profits, that isn't really going to hurt anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×