• Announcements

• Mako

Tales of Infamy   12/13/2017

Looking for more Guild Ball content? Just in the last week we've had new episodes of Singled Out, Double Dodge, Strictly the Worst and Don't Touch the Beard, as well as blogs from ForestRambo and MidwestWargaming! Check out Tales of Infamy in the Guild Ball section
Lumpyseven

When to draft Corsair/Shark

Hey guys,

Bit of advice requested - planning out against which teams I would pick Shark/Corsair into. Assume all teams have dual captains in their roster. Also, I much prefer playing Shark, so I'm only taking Corsair when i think taking Shark will go really badly! Thoughts below - if you disagree, which ones would you swap and why? 

*disclaimer* I do actually think Corsair is a better pick most of the time, I just enjoy playing Shark more, so where possible want to pick him :)

Alchemists - Corsair

Blacksmiths - Shark

Brewers - Shark

Butchers - Shark

Engineers - Shark

Farmers - Shark

Fishermen - Corsair

Hunters - Corsair

Masons - Shark

Morticians - Shark

Union - Shark

39 minutes ago, Lumpyseven said:

Also, I much prefer playing Shark, so I'm only taking Corsair when i think taking Shark will go really badly! Thoughts below - if you disagree, which ones would you swap and why? 

*disclaimer* I do actually think Corsair is a better pick most of the time, I just enjoy playing Shark more, so where possible want to pick him :)

A kindred spirit! The four match ups I would drop Corsair into myself would be Engineers, Fish, Alchemists, and Morticians. That being said, I'm trying to figure out how to get Shark to work into those match ups, the ultimate goal being to leave Corsair out of my 10 entirely since Shark is my favorite captain in the game.

So matchups I think Shark is actually better: Brewers, Butchers, Farmers, Blacksmiths

Toss ups that I play Shark in because he's awesome: Hunters, Masons, Union

Match ups that I need to learn with Shark (probably should just play the fat man): Alchemists, Engineers, Morticians, Fish

Yeah but Corsair gives no fucks for Deadbolt or Pin Vice's damage, so he can drag in the right models and grind them down. Plus, Close Control and easy KD is such a pain for models like Velocity whereas Shark has a tough time keeping pace since the Engineers have better ball control. That being said, I actually think Shark can outfight Engineers with the right team and set up. Still gotta try some stuff out, but Corsair feels like the better option to me

I would generally look to Shark when I think my opponents team would either

1) Be able to outfight Corsair making his deathscrum a trap for the fish player

2) Can score fast enough to make the scrum irrelevant, and have ways of negating close control / good enough ball retriaval. 

11 hours ago, Penguin Warrior said:

Yeah but Corsair gives no fucks for Deadbolt or Pin Vice's damage, so he can drag in the right models and grind them down. Plus, Close Control and easy KD is such a pain for models like Velocity whereas Shark has a tough time keeping pace since the Engineers have better ball control. That being said, I actually think Shark can outfight Engineers with the right team and set up. Still gotta try some stuff out, but Corsair feels like the better option to me

@Penguin Warrior Fair enough! Engineers is a Corsair game!

18 hours ago, Penguin Warrior said:

This is all pretty true. Deadbolt alone is pretty bad for Shark.  Corsair doesn't like tough hide, but as long as you have A&G his team has the tools to handle it.  You can also go for the goal scoring Corsair team.  The engineers don't necessarily have the best damage output, and a more defensive based ball game is an effective option. 

On 11/21/2017 at 8:38 AM, Lumpyseven said:

Morticians - Shark

How? and why? Obulus ruins Shark in my experience. He's really the only captain in the game that when I'm tempted to go all Shark I remember I shouldn't do that. He's the boogeyman that requires Corsair. 

11 minutes ago, Frankanelli said:

This is all pretty true. Deadbolt alone is pretty bad for Shark.  Corsair doesn't like tough hide, but as long as you have A&G his team has the tools to handle it.  You can also go for the goal scoring Corsair team.  The engineers don't necessarily have the best damage output, and a more defensive based ball game is an effective option. 

How? and why? Obulus ruins Shark in my experience. He's really the only captain in the game and when I'm tempted to go all Shark I remember I shouldn't do that. He's the boogeyman that requires Corsair. 

Got to agree with Fearlord here. I'd 100000000% rather see Shark than Corsair across the table as Obulus. 

5 minutes ago, Frankanelli said:

I also frequently agree with Fearlord

Ha you guys need to change your avatars. I've mixed you two up before as well.

Absolutely won't take Shark into a Morticians team. Things might be different if oSiren was still a 2/4INF but even then I think I always took Corsair.

I really hope Corsair doesn't get any kicks in the nads after SteamCon US. I've got a bad feeling he's going to see some kind of nerf.

1 minute ago, Pending Forum Suspension said:

Absolutely won't take Shark into a Morticians team. Things might be different if oSiren was still a 2/4INF but even then I think I always took Corsair.

I really hope Corsair doesn't get any kicks in the nads after SteamCon US. I've got a bad feeling he's going to see some kind of nerf.

Haha in my defense I have tried to get a real avatar before but it got mad at the file size and then I gave up. 

I don't want to derail this thread but man I hope they dont touch Corsair. It seems like at the big tournaments all sorts of guilds are making it to top tables but I dont know if he's menacing smaller events. I definitely don't think his power level/un-fun-ness is approaching the Shark/Midas/Fillet/Obulus levels that saw some of the more famous nerfs and changes we've seen.

They shouldnt touch him simply by looking at competitive events. He is strong, but not oppressive (and Hammer has very good game into him sooooo). I can't speak for how he plays into newer players. I can't imagine its worse than getting got by obulus. 

5 hours ago, Pending Forum Suspension said:

I Would take oSiren in any Morticians match up. -5 Range on character players is a massive deal for holding the ball. 3 Influence is enough to get the Seduce pass + kick. She's pretty much the entire reason I play Fish

1 hour ago, 21B said:

I Would take oSiren in any Morticians match up. -5 Range on character players is a massive deal for holding the ball. 3 Influence is enough to get the Seduce pass + kick. She's pretty much the entire reason I play Fish

What I meant was that back when oSiren was a 2/4 the Shark into Obulus game was possibly stronger. oSiren is still great into the spooks. Not being able to strip the ball and pass it back to a striker out of Obbie's threat range, without committing siren to the model she's seducing by triggering it on an attack, means the synergy isn't quite as strong between her and The Fang of the Sea.

I think you take Corsair into everyone except Masons (because Hammer), Farmers (because clumping and being slow means you die) and possibly Butchers (mostly Ox). 

The rest of your team comp and how you play it is quite important though. 

5 minutes ago, JS said:

I think you take Corsair into everyone except Masons (because Hammer), Farmers (because clumping and being slow means you die) and possibly Butchers (mostly Ox). 

The rest of your team comp and how you play it is quite important though. 

Came here to say this. Can confirm. 

On 11/22/2017 at 5:22 PM, Ik-tornado said:

Came here to say this. Can confirm. 

I've found that Union usually wrecks me with Corsair as well.   Brewers I can go either way, but I'd proooobably pick shark. 

So I played Corsair into Blacksmiths.  I had a kinda weird lineup with Corsair Tent Hag oSiren Jac and Angel.  I wanted to try out angel.  She did basically nothing but hang out on the outside and eventually score a goal that I easily could have scored with grey or sakana who would have done a lot more in the meantime.  Aside that, my opponent swore up and down that I should have played Shark into blacksmiths because he thinks they are such a middle team and can't catch my fish.  

Thoughts? 

On 12/5/2017 at 10:25 PM, Sunny Ravencourt said:

So I played Corsair into Blacksmiths.  I had a kinda weird lineup with Corsair Tent Hag oSiren Jac and Angel.  I wanted to try out angel.  She did basically nothing but hang out on the outside and eventually score a goal that I easily could have scored with grey or sakana who would have done a lot more in the meantime.  Aside that, my opponent swore up and down that I should have played Shark into blacksmiths because he thinks they are such a middle team and can't catch my fish.  

Thoughts? 

I've played against the 1st box of Blacksmith's a couple times but I still don't have any experience against box 2.  I think they can play the ball a lot more with the two boxes mixed together than is currently released. 

I agree that Shark has a fairly comfortable game against what is already out there, but I think when he has to deal with Alloy and Iron and Ferrite plus Bolt and Farris, he might struggle.  That many fast pieces might be able to keep pace with Shark's team. 

At the same time, Corsair will just eat apprentices. I think if you are comfortable with your board control abilities, Corsair certainly isn't a bad pick into them.  At the end of the day I think this is going to be a comfort matchup.  Certainly until we get some more exposure to them.  The no-captain (which is really just 1 captain since it seems like all Ferrite,  or at least Ferrite into Fish) thing really helps them not tip their hand on what models they plan to play. 

If you're looking for a recommendation, I'd say play your favorite captain for the moment. The margin seems to close to call now, and maybe it will stay that way.