Sign in to follow this  
Dizn

Dark Souls the Card Game - First Look Video

So they finally released a First Look video. This seems like a nice quick fun. Getting to the boss is relatively fast only one or two encounters what I've gathered so far.

Didn't really see how they were buying new cards... After each encounter you seem to get 1 treasure card, but can only reveal it and use it after you rest at the bonfire?

Love the fact that you need to have different kinds of stamina in order to attack, block or even dodge. Would probably understand the rules a little better if they were to release a pdf or something, but as of right now I really like this. Game doesn't take much space, boss encounters are challenging and interesting, deck building aspect were you can min max your build and what-not. Now I'm really glad that I bought this add-on. I had my doubts, but this kinda cleared everything up for me.

I had a play of this, it was fun. You get a few treasure cards for defeating enemies, but you also use souls to buy more resources (and higher quality resources, you can get ones with a choice of two colours and other ones that provide both of their two colours when you use it). Your deck can grow by 3 each time you rest, so you might get one or two treasures but can buy in a nicer resource to top it up.

After a few runs we were getting enough souls to start throwing out starting resources and buying in even more of the good ones to replace them in our decks.

You have a max limit per run, so it starts at... i think 28? And grows by 3 each time.

There’s a dedicated deck for tracking how many runs you’ve made, each time you rest you flip to the next card (they’re in numerical order, not shuffled) and that tells you how many cards you can have as a maximum for your next run and if I remember right, gives you an effect or bonus for the run. 

1 hour ago, Mako said:

You have a max limit per run, so it starts at... i think 28? And grows by 3 each time.

There’s a dedicated deck for tracking how many runs you’ve made, each time you rest you flip to the next card (they’re in numerical order, not shuffled) and that tells you how many cards you can have as a maximum for your next run and if I remember right, gives you an effect or bonus for the run. 

I see so the max number constantly changes per run? Can you just rest after each fight to gain 3 more cards, which in turn increase your health and strenght of your deck? Kinda feels too easy in my opinion if one can do this to farm...

Another thing, the goal of the game is to defeat 4 bosses? Is there an campaign mode?

Not really - you need to earn souls from your runs to buy the extra resource cards, you get the extra space in your deck automatically but not the cards themselves. Going through the easier encounters with three players, we weren't earning enough souls to buy good cards for all of us if we did just one fight. We could get maybe one good and one really good resource, and one treasure from the fight, so we'd struggle to get good value out of it if we kept resting. Pushing it a bit was more productive.

You can get really cheap cards that have no resource value (just serve as an extra card in your deck to discard for health), but it didn't seem like the best plan to fill your deck with those. You can make yourself a big health pool by farming the bonfire and only getting the filler cards, but you're also making it harder to get your resources and your weapons/armour into your hand where you can use them.

There are four bosses to beat, but I don't know about campaigns or anything - we took down one boss and called it there :)