Sign in to follow this  
Lena

Morticians' Playstyle?

Season 2 I used to play 6:0 or 4:1. Now I'm much more football focused and feel like Casket Time is a must have to keep up in the VP race.  So, now it's more like 2 goals + CT or 1 goal + CT + 2TO but that might be just a personal prefference ;)

I've always played for 3 goals... Now I think 2-2 is more realistic with all the ball killing.

You can switch to attempting 6-0 or 4-1 quite easily though, using Casket Time or Gravedigger to help drop the number of TOs needed.

Morts have quite a flexible roster and can play for either goals or kills but you need to pick the team carefully if focusing on one or the other; our players generally don't do both well.

On 11/18/2017 at 4:42 AM, Lena said:

Hi,

I was wondering where on the spectrum of killy to score-y do Morticians tend to fall?

If Butchers are the Damage and Fisherman are the Ball, Morticians are the third point on the triangle: The Control.

I find against killy teams I want to play a lot more soccer and try to engineer a Casket Time.  Against Soccer teams, I'd rather use my excellent road blocks to slow the game down for Obulus and Graves to use their great damage output to get a couple kills, and finish the game either dirty or with one goal for the win.

3 hours ago, angelforge said:

Obulus and Graves to use their great damage output

Do we realy think of the same players? :D Obulus needs 3 net hits with TAC5 to deal decent damage, not even close to "great" :D And Graves is super-efficent with his scything blow + bleed but this trick works once per turn for me. For REAL damage output You need Cosset ;) 

13 hours ago, el009 said:

Obulus needs 3 net hits with TAC5 to deal decent damage, not even close to "great"

I think the deal with Obulus is to make 7 attacks  with tooled up and so deal quite sure 14 Dmg to someone ;)

34 minutes ago, Ynnead said:

I think the deal with Obulus is to make 7 attacks  with tooled up and so deal quite sure 14 Dmg to someone ;)

Thats quite a bad trade. 8 influence for 14 dmg and 1 momentum for TO? Not worth it probably. And we are assuming that target has no defensive tech like clone, gluttonus mass, tough hide, fear etc. Rest of the team does next to nothing this turn. Obs NEEDS that Mom 2 on 3 hits to do the beating but he can't reach it reliably on his own, even vs a 3+/1 model, not even mentioning better stats...

On 11/20/2017 at 1:43 PM, el009 said:

Do we realy think of the same players? :D Obulus needs 3 net hits with TAC5 to deal decent damage, not even close to "great" :D And Graves is super-efficent with his scything blow + bleed but this trick works once per turn for me. For REAL damage output You need Cosset ;) 

3 net hits on a 2" melee character - in my experience it's not hard to set up one or two crowd outs and/or a knockdown.  Confidence and charging for a KD into 12 damage and 4 momentum is not bad, and compared to the soccer teams I'd definitely call it great.  It's certainly not as fast at generating points as playing ball or using Cosset but it's safe.

Whenever I talk about Cosset it just sounds like magical Christmasland, but yeah she turns the mortician's damage output from "Good against soccer teams" to actually good.  On a 7/9 with Lure too!  If only she didn't die to a weak breeze.

On 20/11/2017 at 6:43 PM, el009 said:

Round 4 of British Champs I played Obulus, Dirge, oGraves, SIlence, B&M and Mist. I won with 4 take outs and 1 goal, it's on SFG stream check it out. You really do not need Cosset for "Damage output". A tooled up Obulus is upfront 14 damage, before you apply Ganging Up via oGraves or Memory. B&M straight up murder people also. 

"Great" is definitely not the operative word to use for Obulus's damage output, but Safe is.

2" Melee w/ Tooled Up and 7 Influence is nothing to scoff at. The Morts have plenty of tricks to get models out of position and collapse on them without fear of retaliation, not to mention Obulus can close distance with Shadowlike into Unpredictable and Counter-Charge zones. Dirge can provide a Singled Out and Graves can offers a safe crowd out if you really wanna try and push him into dealing real damage numbers.

If he's gotten into range with Shadowlike then he can also eat a push or dodge and continue wailing on his target. Like angel said, you're not going to outfight fighters like Boiler or Spigot, but wailing on a defenseless footballer sometimes is the best option.

I'm not defending it as a good trade, Obulus isn't a damage dealer, don't try and force him into being one. Only that sometimes it's the right play and when it is, these are the tools he's got to use.

2 hours ago, ForestRambo said:

Round 4 of British Champs I played Obulus, Dirge, oGraves, SIlence, B&M and Mist. I won with 4 take outs and 1 goal, it's on SFG stream check it out. You really do not need Cosset for "Damage output". A tooled up Obulus is upfront 14 damage, before you apply Ganging Up via oGraves or Memory. B&M straight up murder people also. 

I've never said that that Obulus can't smash faces with his stick. I did it quite a few times, setting casket time up for first activation next turn. Yet calling his damage output 'great' is a huge exaggeration for me. He's not even decent on his own. He get's good with solid setup as he needs tooled up and probably some assist or kd. 'Great' damage dealer is Fillet, Thresher etc. Ferryman is solid, at best.

30 minutes ago, The Old Buzzard said:

I had Thresher take him out this week end in one activation. The 3" melee and big pile of influence gets past all Obulus' defensive tech. I guess use Scalpel when facing them. Obby didn't work!

Played vs Thresher twice this weekend. I screwed badly in first game, getting sliced 12:6 or something near that. In the second game I deployed in much wider formation and went for 3 goals. Bonesaw scored first and while Farmers were killing him the Ferryman recovered the ball via PM and scored. And he scored again first activation turn 4. I won 12:4 I guess. Ghost shot GIC helped me a lot. Fighting Thresher farmers is kind of pointless for me, get as much inf and mobility as You can and play football.

10 hours ago, ForestRambo said:

Could you give the Link , please ? I cant' find it.

Thanks