Riozaki

New Master/Apprentice Discussion and Roster Ideas

Hey guys we know the full 12 man set of blacksmiths, now we have the challenge of finding out our 12. We have probably the hardest issue with this due to our master/apprentice system.  So I am interested in seeing what people think of our 2 new bundles of joy and what their roster may be.  

I personally was super psyched for the horse lord but upon contemplation I am unsure how I feel without a chance to test them out till next week.

As per Roster I am conflicted,  Right out the bat i want to immediately exclude Farris/bolt from my 10 because they dont seem to fill any roll that isnt already taken.
Ball tricks- Cast/Burnish/cinder have that in spades (even though bolt could be argued for cinder)
Damage- Farris/bolt isnt really built for it
Survivable-Bolt is a normal apprentice and farris is pretty stout.  

That said I i have always feel cinder was situational and not always in use so she may be replaced with bolt.  The remaining issue is (as much as i hate to say this) does farris have a place?  Alloy is an amazing goal threat but really handicapped (like really hard) while not near hearth.  Farris may serve as a replacement to ferrite.  Funace and burnish have their own niches that they do quite well (burnish for the chaska marking alone seems worth it but i could be wrong).  Anvils is a ultra solid tank while sledge makes several people nervous.  Hearth is a wonderful old bat who can help with conditions and buff our apprentice.  Iron has been worth his weight in gold either stripping and discarding balls or stomping people into the dirt. 

Anyone else thoughts and ideas would be wonderful to hear from.

Your focus with them is very much on the ball, they play a bit like a Shark Fish team (kind of..) - they are fast!.

I really like Bolt and Farris as a pair, there certainly is a lot of jank you can do with them (I usually play Morticians so jank appeals to me).

*Cries* Really want box 2 but no chance I could make the Con... hopefully someone takes up my offer :D Really want to know what the new lot do but I would rather own AND find that out :D

I feel like Anvil and Sledge are the easiest pair to leave out of the roster. Anvil is too slow at 4” move and 1” melee to keep up with the rest of the team, and while his move play is good I feel like there are enough movement buffs in the team to manage without it. Sledge was advertised as the big damage dealer when the Guild was first previewed but Iron, Cast and even Alloy present better or similar damage dealing capacity while simultaneously offering other things as well.

9 minutes ago, Falkman said:

I feel like Anvil and Sledge are the easiest pair to leave out of the roster. Anvil is too slow at 4” move and 1” melee to keep up with the rest of the team, and while his move play is good I feel like there are enough movement buffs in the team to manage without it. Sledge was advertised as the big damage dealer when the Guild was first previewed but Iron, Cast and even Alloy present better or similar damage dealing capacity while simultaneously offering other things as well.

I considered it but I have played anvil into grange farmers and i consider him very nice into them, butchers and brewers. Like you said sledge is definitely on the chopping block cause like you said the rest and produce similar results.  Actually I am considering cinder as the other missing member cause again bolt, cast burnish can fill similar roles and cast can easily be taken with furnace to make a 2 person hit squad.

BTW  didn't know you played guildball Falkman,  that warms my heart.  Your post in the warmachine community was always very enlightening.  

1 hour ago, LeadDiceandBeers said:

I pretty much roll Ferrite, Iron, Hearth, Alloy, Farris, Bolt every game.

This team is going to be f'ing rough to get used to seeing. It is good. DEF is low enough that it doesn't feel overwhelming but damn they're fast. 3INF cap coupled with 4/6 MOV on Bolt makes him reasonable, can't score from waaaay the hell out.

With quick foot from his dedicated master the guy has a 20" goal threat. That's just sprinting and kicking. Throw in some I'm open facilitated shenanigans, relatively safe given the number of high kick stats floating in the guild, and you can bump that up to 28." throw in Ferrite and you push that to 32", with the icing on the cake being you'll have Iron ready and waiting to follow up for a second attempt. 

This will be GLORIOUS.

On a [Captain] Ferrite turn, if Farris gives Bolt Quick Foot he goes to a very decent 8"/10" move and can therefore Jog + Sprint 18", adding a 6" kick on top gives him a total 24" goal threat range. For a mere [4] Inf (including the shot).

Add a dodge from Anvil and a Push from Iron and his reach gets to 28" with the only roll involved being his 4 dice shot... :S

2 minutes ago, Spinsane said:

On a [Captain] Ferrite turn, if Farris gives Bolt Quick Foot he goes to a very decent 8"/10" move and can therefore Jog + Sprint 18", adding a 6" kick on top gives him a total 24" goal threat range. For a mere [4] Inf (including the shot).

Add a dodge from Anvil and a Push from Iron and his reach gets to 28" with the only roll involved being his 4 dice shot... :S

Honestly though for all the set up that goes into it I still don't think this is TOO ridiculous. Shark has a 23" goal threat if he is loaded up with no set up/help. Activating the whole team (or at least several models) leaves room to defend against it. Other teams are just going to have to bring some quick/ 2" melee models to the party (which you should be doing anyway) to help counter.

Not to be negative but I do love to play devil's advocate. :P

Bolt does have a few problems. One being he suffers from the same problem as furious models. If he starts his activation engaged then he lose quite a bit of his free move. Especially if he's been thrown a ton of buffs. There is the upside of being able to position him wherever you want in the enemies melee range and then attacking to dodge out before using your real move. Does require that the enemy have 1" melee though unless you get two hits after arm.

Also in defense of Sledge he is quite possibly the best ball retriever in the game. If he starts within range of anvil he can use piledriver for free, threat 7", attack and auto tackle + knock back, spend 1 for long bomb and pass the ball 10".

Could also not use piledriver and just charge to get the extra 2". Not guaranteed the tackle but 9 dice should be enough for 1 hit, and then use long bomb for free.

Coming from Butchers and Hunters this team has me spoiled for choice and gives me good ball and murder options, Alloy and Hearth will be auto takes for me in most games, Anvil/Sledge and Furnace/Cinder will round out my usual for the next while maybe with Burnish/Cast swapped in for Furnace/Cinder.

I just cant pass up dishing out MOM 7s and 8s:D so the more dedicated ball players will sit out for a bit until i've had my fill of ridiculous damage

I realize I'm really late to this party, but my go to six at the moment is Ferrite-Iron-Farris-Bolt-Furnace-Cast. It wants to play 3-0 but has the versatility to comfortably switch to 2-2 if need be.