TheRaven

Fallow is up

Gotta say.... I love how weird and different she is. 

The one thing that kind of makes me sad is that it doesn't shade the idea of the farmers being a beatdown team. I was hoping for something with a little more scoring potential. As it is right now Blacksmiths seem much much better at scoring goals with Alloy and Ferrite just for starters. 

Still a really cool team though now that we know the full 12. She seems much better with Grange, might even make Grange much more viable with a piece that has such a high end like this. 

Granny twinkle toes the goal scorer would be funny but kinda thought she was going to just be another beater.

I've yet to play AS farmers but I dunno, I like the way they are, having faced them/watched them. HOping to paint my set fairly soon.

Jebus, talk about burying the lead...  they'd been progressively showing more and more of her card all morning, but "With Age Comes Wisdom" is just...   wow.

Her 1 inch melee is kind of a big deal in this guild, but I suspect people will make an exception.

5 minutes ago, Clement said:

Her 1 inch melee is kind of a big deal in this guild, but I suspect people will make an exception.

I thought about this too but, given that you are going to want to save her for as close to last as possible, it is likely her target will already be suffering KD since the team lives and breathes the KD life. Unpredictable movement will be frustrating but if you even choose to go for a model with it your opponent has likely spent it.

Tooled up when she is loaded means you're dropping 15 by rolling 50% hits on 8 dice vs a 4/1. Best case scenario for the set up but it really shouldn't be too hard to place 2 harvest markers near her and activate her last if you screen her some.

Very weird but fun looking player. I have a feeling that she would be better alongside Grange (and possibly Ploughman too) than Thresher but would be interesting to see in any case.

Not a huge fan of Get Stuck In! as it sort of doesn't mesh well with Protective Instinct. I'm glad the playbook doesn't have a GB option just on it's own - there's damage alongside it.

Between a Rock.. might work well with someone who moves faster than a glacier (sorry, Granite!) and the jog part isn't so bad when the team has multiple ways of ignoring Knock Down.

I was hoping for a player that wasn't just a beatstick - perhaps conditions and other weird plays but Fallow is certainly unique.

I would have preferred a reverse-Get Stuck In! instead, that prevents the opponent from getting Crowded Out and Ganging Up modifiers, but she otherwise seems like a very interesting player...

2 minutes ago, shadokon said:

The Rowdy is necessary for controlling the damage flow and not just funneling attacks into her and get her killed.

How so? Rowdy only means she nevers gains or loses TAC because of Gang ups and Crows outs when she attacks... Rowdy doesn't change anything when she is attacked...

If you step into a scrum that the other team is outnumbering you in your tac stays the same so your still as effective also if they are crowding out the target and your taking the hits for them and crowding you out they dont get those extra dice. Since farmers are a big scrum team managing the scrum with rowdy can help keep her alive. 

10 minutes ago, shadokon said:

If you step into a scrum that the other team is outnumbering you in your tac stays the same so your still as effective also if they are crowding out the target and your taking the hits for them and crowding you out they dont get those extra dice. Since farmers are a big scrum team managing the scrum with rowdy can help keep her alive. 

I think the point that is trying to be made is the exact line is "THIS MODEL does not suffer crowding out penalties". It says nothing about opposing models not getting crowded out bonuses against Fallow..............

14 minutes ago, shadokon said:

if they are crowding out the target and your taking the hits for them and crowding you out they dont get those extra dice. Since farmers are a big scrum team managing the scrum with rowdy can help keep her alive. 

Be careful, here. Rowdy has no effect on ennemy attacks. If two guys Gang Up on Fallow, they DO fet an extra dice when they attack. She just doesn’t lose a dice when she does.

+ Edit: As seen in the Collected Clarifications Thread in the Rules Forum:

Rowdy:- The model with Rowdy’s TAC is unaffected by Gang Up bonuses or Crowding Out penalties. Enemies engaging the Player with Rowdy still gain these bonuses/penalties.

It's still good, just very situational (plus it requires that she activates it).  Note that this also applies to Vet Ox and to Pintpot...

One at a Time Lads! works on everyone who's within the AoE, so someone standing just outside attacking someone who's inside would still get the modifiers (and his opponent wouldn't get any), so depending on placement it's not always as useful as it appears... For example, during [Captain] Hearth's Legendary turn, OaaTL! would most likely impact the Smith's negatively, considering they'd all have 2" or 3" reach...

I like that I can allocate nothing, see how the turn pans out and either fill her up or save my HM.

I think not having to commit resource to a model is huge, especially one that likes to go last. It's often risky to fully stack those guys.

I'm really liking the interaction of Grange's double crowd outs from "lend a hand" and her "protective instinct." 19 boxes is really healthy too. I think if you position her properly she can be Grange's best friend. 

8 minutes ago, Frankanelli said:

I'm really liking the interaction of Grange's double crowd outs from "lend a hand" and her "protective instinct." 19 boxes is really healthy too. I think if you position her properly she can be Grange's best friend. 

Not thought about that one! Had considered Cocky and Millstone for some really annoying condition redistribution 

She is certainly interesting, but doesn't she fill exactly the same role as Windle? She needs less INF investment but can't do work early in the turn but still a beat stick the opponent has to control or die to.

31 minutes ago, S_A_T_S said:

She is certainly interesting, but doesn't she fill exactly the same role as Windle? She needs less INF investment but can't do work early in the turn but still a beat stick the opponent has to control or die to.

I think she kind of takes the same slot. Windle does more damage and scores you more VPs but Fallow gets you better defensive tech. Hard to run both though...

I think she's great.  A really solid toolbox that you don't have to give anything to or commit buffs to and still get good work out of her.  She'll play kind of similar to PintPot, though I think the character play is a trap and probably should only be used in rare situations. 

She absolutely replaces Windle for me, or rather, fills the slot Windle wanted to fill himself since I don't play Windle anyways.  I think she's very much a Grange player since a Thresher team will struggle to keep her fueled.  I like her 3/6'' (4/8" near Grange) kick stat and between her, Grange and Tater, there's a lot of great targets for "I'm Open" on Bushel.  I can almost always threaten an immediate counterscore, and if I'm behind, Tater and Fallow are more than capable of getting the TOs I need too.

She also brings some nice defensive tech to the Grange team.  Tater is really nice, but having to worry about Pintpot's mom coming to join the party now too is a problem.  The dice math really start getting modified when you have to spend an attack to get Fallow out of the way.

My thoughts on xxxXXMurderGrandmaXXxxx

EVERYTHING important about this model is on the back of her card! But I will at least try to consider the front first.

Stat line –

She’s surprisingly spry with a 5”/8” movement and a perfectly respectable 3/6” kick. She can get where she needs to be and play ball in a pinch. Table the TAC 3* because that is one hell of an asterisk. DEF 4+ / ARM 0 / 19 HP is perhaps slightly above average defensive stats for farmers. That 0/5 influence – Yowzas!

Playbook –

Her first and third columns are where she makes her money. During her activation she is going to be looking for that momentous 2 damage on the 3rd column, but will settle for the momentous 1 on 1. With up to 5 attacks she heavily benefits from Tooled Up and Honest Labor, so even the 1 damage on 1 can be extremely dangerous. Her top line is extremely utilitarian with a single push, KD, and double push. The low KD is great for making sure she stays engaged when a counter attack is declared against her. The pushes are a wonderful tool for her own counterattacks. This will pair extremely nicely with her traits. The latter half of her playbook is cherry on top extra damage.

Character Play –

Get stuck in is probably the only slightly disappointing thing here. Honestly with so much 2” Reach in farmers you probably don’t even want to trigger this lot of the time. Thankfully, even if you hit that juicy 3 damage Guild Ball, I believe you can opt to select the damage only. There may be corner cases where you will want it, such as her counter-attacking against a scrum, or if she is all by her lonesome (she shouldn’t be) but most of the time I don’t see the play being extremely useful.

TRAITS! This is where the ol gal really comes alive!

Making Hay –

This is such a cool and great ability. It really affords you a lot of flexibility when it comes to Fallow. Most of the time I see you allocating her a single influence, or even zero, then letting the turn dictate how many markers you need to pull. 2 for 1 is a great return on investment, but players will need to be careful to ensure there are enough harvest markers left on the board to keep other skill active. I can see situations where a player struggles with the choice between turning off taters counter charge for 2 influence. That said, Grange probably supports her reasonably well by himself with a little help from one extra planter. On Grange’s legendary turn you can expect her to go full clip and lay in to a fool pretty quickly.

I will say I think Making Hay probably excludes her from a Thresher team, or at least makes you choose between Fallow and Tater. I don’t think it is reasonable to expect to be able to run Thresher, Fallow, and Tater in the same list, even if you take peck, because there is not enough planter support for all of them. Jackstraw is going to be setting up Thresher most of the time, and Harrow isn’t looking busy a lot when Thresher is up field. That really only leaves Millstone to feed the competing Fallow and Tater. Probably not a great team set up. I think it is reasonably safe to say Fallow is probably Grange Exclusive.

With Age Comes Wisdom –

Variable attack. Heck yes. She gets bonkers strong towards the end of the round. Honestly though, I think this is going to trip people up. I think a lot of farmer players are going to wait too long to activate her. If I am being real I am perfectly fine with her activating as early as 2nd behind Grange. It’s not hard to imagine a turn where Grange activates first, Throws up his legendary as well as Honest labor, and engages a model or two. Under these circumstances Fallow is throwing 6 dice swings which is going to be around 12 damage against a 4+/1. Is that the best she can do? Absolutely not. But if you wait too long on her I have a feeling she’s gonna get locked down.

Protective Instinct / Between a Rock –

Let’s talk about these together. I think this might be the first “Hard Taunt” in Guild Ball. One of the unexpected and most amazing things about this ability is it’s the enemy melee zone that matters, NOT fallow’s. So this will impact 2” reach players even if she can’t hit them back. This ability is very tricky and doesn’t necessarily have to be used on the first attack. In fact I think it might be wiser to allow the friendly model to take a couple hits first. For me, Harrow tends to be the one who dies a lot. With this ability I can see times when Harrow takes an attack or two, then we spring Fallow on the opponent later than they expected. This way both models take a couple hits each, rather than one or the other taking the brunt of the damage.  

A really fun thing to do is going to be to use the combination of these two abilities to counter attack. Say you have your Hammer/Ox/Rage/whatever come in to try and smack a friend around. Fallow rushes to their aid. Now the enemy attacks fallow who declares a counter attack. If she can avoid being knocked down she has a pretty good shot of hitting her double push to nullify a decent amount of influence. I kind of think of this like what marbles can do: Counter-Charge for a key push.

Another thing to take note of is Between a Rock is not “towards” she could feasibly use this to reposition in other ways aside from just helping folks. You might can get a cheeky goal threat out of this, or move her a bit to eat a harvest market that was just out of range.

Final Thoughts:

I am in love with murder grandma. I already have plans for “Soup tokens” to measure how “Souped up” she is each turn.  I think folks underestimate how early she can feasibly activate, especially with Grange support. I do think there are those who are overvaluing her though. At the end of the day, despite all her tricks, she is a 4+/0 model with 1” reach. I think you will find folks engaging her first when possible. This turns her off to an extent and prevents her ability to have a strong counter attack. I think you are going to have to keep her protected as much as she protects others. I feel when she hits the pitch she is going to operate in a very similar manner as Tater. Staying just a little bit behind to provide screens, then come in for some big damage. The difference is her turn is a lot more flexible.

Anywho, happy farmin! Get out there and make granny proud!

Got one or two games in with her, lost them all but Fallow was a great addition to the line up. 

Protective Instinct was useful for stopping Seenah being able to disengage herself, and as tehlon suggests above, mid turn activation will be fine. Waiting until the very end is probably overkill in most situations. 

Saturday at Steamcon was my Farmers day, and I played Psycho Granny hard all day, winning every game. I played a potentially suicidal list of Grange, Buckwheat, Fallow, Millstone, Jackstraw and Rookie Windle. Only 11 INF, but worked because rookie Windle doesn't need the INF like standard Windle (at least at the levels I got him to).

Fallow was the star player in every game. I never used Get Stuck In. She usually went on on someone already KDd and engaged by Grange with Honest Labour up, at which point she takes a model out pretty much reliably. Even when I didn't manage the honest labour, she's a really good late activation to go in, earn you 5 momentum and leave someone within easy range of Grange (your usual first activation) to come in and finish them off.

Her defensive kit is impressive. She gets Constitution every turn. You keep Millstone within range, Grange closer, and trigger his legendary when it look like the enemy is coming in to fight. With -2 TAC from Grange, Sturdy and a condition offset to Millstone she is insanely good at soaking up a lot of attention. Don't forget that she can jog in when someone hits someone else within 4" of her, too, so when someone comes in to hit Grange you can likely bring her in when they start wailing to force them to split up the damage. She's a great counter to 2" melee teams as they find it a lot harder to get to their target without clipping her, and as long as they engage her, rather than the other way around, they have to attack her.

Don't underestimate her goal threat, either. At 8" sprint and 3/6" kick she's solid, but if your opponent is going to trigger that damage you can jog her up for free and add an extra 5". And you can do things to trigger that jog, like taking a parting blow from a model without a KD with a teammate. I scored with her twice. I think Get Stuck In will be good for her if she needs to go early and get the ball from a well-defended player. She can charge in to trigger Get Stuck In, then proceed to tackle and KD those in her way, then kick the ball out to safety (4/8" KICK for passes if near Grange).

If you're going to play her, keeping her fed with Harvest markers is essential, and your team needs to be built around achieving this. I think you want a team that's putting down 4 if not all 5 harvest markers reliably each turn. Grange and Millstone give you 2 reliably, and Jackstraw another 2, so I think these three are probably how you build the team. I think using Peck to give her Cocky is probably overkill, and Buckwheat gives you an excellent goal-scoring outlet. After that you've probably got a choice between Windle or Tater. Tater seems the obvious choice, but he's taking 3 INF away from the rest of the team as opposed to Windle only taking 2, so even though it gives you an 11 INF team, I think you'll find it harder to distribute with Tater than Windle. That said, Tater is a better early activation as both Psycho Granny and Windle want to go late in the turn, and counter charge not only helps you force people into a position where they have to hit Granny, but also protects the harvest markers you want her to use at the end of the turn.

That's all for now. But I think she's string enough to bring Grange up to parity with Thresher. She's certainly got me wanting to play her in every farmer's list I play.

I also personally think that Get Stuck In isn't the best option for her, In most cases I can't see a reason for using it.  Invariably I was using her at SteamCon as a delayed explosion, either middle or end of turn to kill a model that was already down or surrounded.  However, there are some things to consider.

1. At the end of a turn you can potentially throw Fallow into a pack you aren't already engaged with.  A charge could counter the initial crowded out and allow her to trigger the result negating future negatives.

2. If you can trigger it against a low def/crowded out model, free yourself up and then walk into a pack to snipe a specific target with impunity (I'm kind of considering if, with 5 inf, she could do this to charge, or jog to, a well protected ball carrier, get the tackle on 4 and score a goal.  It is ultra niche, but if you already have momentum it is technically possible).