Sign in to follow this  
Pending Forum Suspension

What's next for Guild Ball?

15 hours ago, Malritch said:

What's next for GB? We all need to recruit more folks to play it... that's what we really need to do. :) 

Agreed. It's one game I think I could get 'normal' mates to play, because it's football and fighting! Just need to give it a push. I might apply for a Pundit position! 

I have a group locally who are AoS mad. All tournaments, all the time. One lad is captain of Team England! They absolutely refuse to even give GB so much as a glance.  "I don't like sports games" says one. "You've just bought Blood Bowl, mate" :rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, Lee said:

"You've just bought Blood Bowl, mate" :rolleyes:

Just remember in America, its Soccer.  Blood Bowl is the closest that comes to what is termed as football over there, where only one player actually really gets to kick the ball and even then its not moving. ;)  

I think we all need to cross our fingers GB survives this move to plastic. Currently new players don't want to buy the metal teams as it's a bigger price (currently either £50 or £100 - with singles you could buy the base team and then slowly build up with new models to try gradually), Farmers look difficult for n00bs and Blacksmith were released today (and are OP, further putting off n00bs). A business I've spoken to are seriously considering dropping Guild Ball completely as their sales have nosedived this year. Nobody is sure exactly how new models will be released in the future (plastic? Metal? Singles? Sets?) which makes everyone cautious, even some of the hardcore.

The other guilds in plastic can't come out quick enough at this point (or bring back metal singles, all is forgiven), and they should really push the fact that the plastic boxes contain EVERY physical thing you need to play, except an opponent, dice and measuring tools, and that all rules are free online. That would soften the price (£35 still looks pricey when sat next to squad boxes from other systems that cost £20; if you don't know that box is all you need, GB is going to look pricey).

SFG should be wary of relying on the core 'clique' (as I've heard it referred to this week) who attend every Steamcon and Vengeance, who will play the game until it goes under and buy ALL THE THINGS! and make sure they continue to appeal to casual and new players. I'd love to see an second/S4 starter set with Fish/Butchers as well, as I think Masons/Brewers is a slow grindy match-up that doesn't show off enough of what makes the game great, which could sit alongside the Kick Off! set as different starters for different players.

51 minutes ago, S_A_T_S said:

The other guilds in plastic can't come out quick enough at this point (or bring back metal singles, all is forgiven), and they should really push the fact that the plastic boxes contain EVERY physical thing you need to play, except an opponent, dice and measuring tools, and that all rules are free online. That would soften the price (£35 still looks pricey when sat next to squad boxes from other systems that cost £20; if you don't know that box is all you need, GB is going to look pricey).

Can't agree more. Completing the move to plastic ASAP would be good for new players because, well, the plastic full-team boxes are just good for new players. It would also be good for existing players because it would, like you say, end a lot of confusion about how things will be packaged and sold from now on.

I think the plastic team boxes are around 90% of what you need to play. Something SFG could do to make them closer to 100% would be to include cardboard widgets like the ones in the Kick-Off set. Sure, a lot of people won't need them and plenty will get thrown out due to owning multiples, but for those new players it's the last bit of stuff that you need to play that team.

The other thing they should do is take the cardboard pitch that came in the Kick-Off box and sell it on its own. The official (and even unofficial) neoprene pitches are expensive and many stores that I've been to don't even carry them. If new players could get a cardboard pitch for $10 when they buy their $50 team box (that also includes widgets), then they would have a much easier time getting started, I think.

51 minutes ago, S_A_T_S said:

SFG should be wary of relying on the core 'clique' (as I've heard it referred to this week) who attend every Steamcon and Vengeance, who will play the game until it goes under and buy ALL THE THINGS! and make sure they continue to appeal to casual and new players. I'd love to see an second/S4 starter set with Fish/Butchers as well, as I think Masons/Brewers is a slow grindy match-up that doesn't show off enough of what makes the game great, which could sit alongside the Kick Off! set as different starters for different players.

Agree on this, too. Another Kick-Off box with two different teams (whether its Butchers/Fishermen or some other combo) coming out for the holidays this year would have been (is?) a great idea.

For recruiting new players, the kickabout format is really good- I've been able to recruit a community of twelve from amongst the local gaming population where I live in Virginia because of two things:

1) Emphasizing that a team box is all they need to play.  Even the metal ones at $75 aren't expensive when you compare them to GW's Start Collecting boxes (at $85 that you 100% know need another $200-300 worth of stuff to make a viable army).  $150 for both boxes of a team is a little steep- but will be better when they are plastic- but the assurance that if you don't want to, you will never have to make another purchase is an excellent selling point.

2) The kickabout format.  It's really fun, low key, builds nicely into the full game, and emphasizes learning the game over winning it, which is good because new players often spend a fair amount of time getting the crap kicked out of them if they jump straight into the full game. =)

I can't recommend the KA format highly enough.  It's outstanding!

52 minutes ago, Fish-in-a-Beer said:

For recruiting new players, the kickabout format is really good- I've been able to recruit a community of twelve from amongst the local gaming population where I live in Virginia because of two things:

1) Emphasizing that a team box is all they need to play.  Even the metal ones at $75 aren't expensive when you compare them to GW's Start Collecting boxes (at $85 that you 100% know need another $200-300 worth of stuff to make a viable army).  $150 for both boxes of a team is a little steep- but will be better when they are plastic- but the assurance that if you don't want to, you will never have to make another purchase is an excellent selling point.

2) The kickabout format.  It's really fun, low key, builds nicely into the full game, and emphasizes learning the game over winning it, which is good because new players often spend a fair amount of time getting the crap kicked out of them if they jump straight into the full game. =)

I can't recommend the KA format highly enough.  It's outstanding!

I know my local meta saw a bunch of new blood from the kickabout league. It's fun, it helps teach, and even experienced players learn about players because they are forced to do more with less. Not to mention the zaniness for those who hunt the agendas (Fish winning without goals. SCOFF! Barely did that). One other thing I can say though is that I've played games with GiCs and no plot cards and oh my god the difference it makes. No more having dead cards or being sad face about not getting Knee slider. The information is 'known' and open putting more focus on the game. I welcome Season 4 if it does away with plot cards and makes a GiC deck.

God yes, please hurry up with the current guilds conversion to plastic. As someone new to the wargaming hobby, having to spend nearly $100 for a box of metal models I have to assemble is very off putting. I'm anxious to play Butchers, but won't buy the metals. Having them sold singly would also be a huge boon as I could then pick and choose my tournament at a much more affordable level. Having to spend $50+ for a second set that you're only going to use half the models in, makes it less apealing. 

2 minutes ago, Akodo Harid said:

One other thing I can say though is that I've played games with GiCs and no plot cards and oh my god the difference it makes. No more having dead cards or being sad face about not getting Knee slider. The information is 'known' and open putting more focus on the game. I welcome Season 4 if it does away with plot cards and makes a GiC deck.

Not to mention forgetting that you even had a plot card that you could have used in this situation or that. 

17 minutes ago, Redtiger7 said:

Having to spend $50+ for a second set that you're only going to use half the models in, makes it less apealing. 

To be fair, even at $10 each if you only want 3 of the 6, the $20 for the other 3 and the terrain and tokens and goal (more terrain if you prefer the goal from the other box) seems quite reasonable to me.

Now union options I fully agree it's not great to spend $50 for one player for a tournament roster, but SFG only knows if this will somehow change in the organized play document. 

47 minutes ago, missing1leg said:

To be fair, even at $10 each if you only want 3 of the 6, the $20 for the other 3 and the terrain and tokens and goal (more terrain if you prefer the goal from the other box) seems quite reasonable to me.

Now union options I fully agree it's not great to spend $50 for one player for a tournament roster, but SFG only knows if this will somehow change in the organized play document. 

I would be very surprised if a) Union options were no longer a thing in S4 or b ) Individual union blisters remained a thing.

1 hour ago, Redtiger7 said:

God yes, please hurry up with the current guilds conversion to plastic. As someone new to the wargaming hobby, having to spend nearly $100 for a box of metal models I have to assemble is very off putting. I'm anxious to play Butchers, but won't buy the metals. Having them sold singly would also be a huge boon as I could then pick and choose my tournament at a much more affordable level. Having to spend $50+ for a second set that you're only going to use half the models in, makes it less apealing. 

Not to mention forgetting that you even had a plot card that you could have used in this situation or that. 

Agreed. So absolutely agreed.

So, confirmed at Steam Con today that there are ten "minor guilds" on the way, who will act as support, and share players with the major guilds.

For example, the ratcatchers is a minor guild linked to the morticians, so Skulk (the Steam Con model) could play for ratcatchers or for morticians. Support from minor guilds (which will also be playable in their own right) will replace Union models in guilds.

What minor guilds do you think could be linked to the other existing guilds?

Rich said a second might be revealed at steamcon US. I don’t have any actual guesses :)

But four dual guild players for each pair isn’t bad, it’s more than we could take in Union models!

Maybe the masons could be linked to the carpenters or lumberjacks as they work together building things. Or the brewers to the wine-makers, or fishermen to the ship-wrights or navigators?

5 minutes ago, ADG said:

Maybe the masons could be linked to the carpenters or lumberjacks as they work together building things. Or the brewers to the wine-makers, or fishermen to the ship-wrights or navigators?

Now you mention brewers, my brain has realised brewers and bakers could be a thing - they were linked historically by the use of yeast weren’t they? Or am I going mad, thinking brewing originally involved chucking a piece of bread into the liquid...

46 minutes ago, ADG said:

For example, the ratcatchers is a minor guild linked to the morticians, so Skulk (the Steam Con model) could play for ratcatchers or for morticians. Support from minor guilds (which will also be playable in their own right) will replace Union models in guilds.

That would likely mean that the Undertakers are associated with professions often considered "unclean" such as rat catching, corpse disposal, and sanitation services. And sometimes tax collection. Wait, is the ferryman potentially plotting a revolution? Using the numerous forgotten dregs of society to help him take control of important elements of city life that people cannot live without?

10 minor guilds means one for each. Likely the scholars, astronomers, and messengers will not be among them. As for the fools and chandlers guilds, they were mentioned as being toothless and destitute so who knows?

Blacksmiths may have gold smiths, shepards could belong to the butchers, farmers, or even hunters. Architects could be engineers or masons, Chandlers may be most likely assocaited with butchers due to how they use fat, or maybe to the fishermen because of blubber. Lumberers may have to respect hunter lands, or maybe the constant wood use has them connected to the engineers. Honestly, this will be a toss up. 

It's going to get really confusing really quick if there are 10 MinOr guilds and one of them is the MinErs' Guild.

Unrelated: it really bugs me that the guilds' names are printed as, for example, Brewer's Guild.  Grammatically, shouldn't it be "Brewers' Guild", as in, the guild that all the Brewers are part of and that belongs to them?  Wouldn't "Brewer's Guild" be a pretty sad one-man club, grammatically? =)

Then again, I could be wrong- I teach history, not English- and I'm also American, so it's possible the grammar is different over here...

4 minutes ago, Fish-in-a-Beer said:

It's going to get really confusing really quick if there are 10 MinOr guilds and one of them is the MinErs' Guild.

Unrelated: it really bugs me that the guilds' names are printed as, for example, Brewer's Guild.  Grammatically, shouldn't it be "Brewers' Guild", as in, the guild that all the Brewers are part of and that belongs to them?  Wouldn't "Brewer's Guild" be a pretty sad one-man club, grammatically? =)

Then again, I could be wrong- I teach history, not English- and I'm also American, so it's possible the grammar is different over here...

I don't think it will be that confusing. Many people, including the SFG guys have already been correcting themselves from (or just saying) "sub-guild". On top of that people are also more likely to refer to them by their actual names in conversation