Sign in to follow this  
the_aY

Esters lineup advice

Hello all,

i played my very first game as Brewers tonight and I used my LE Esters and Quaff just for the sake of it. My opponent was using his Ballista Engineers for the first time.

Esters, Quaff, Friday, Spigot, Hooper, Lucky was my list.

Ballista, Mother, Ratchet, Hoist, Velocity, Compound was his list.

I've seen a skilled local player use Esters in S2 to great effect, so I figured I'd run her in S3, despite the general opinion being she sucks.

i was against an all-kicking Engineer team, and I had decent success because I never felt threatened with takeouts. Essentially, I willingly gave up first goal to advance, tried to at least protect the ball, but was ok with allowing a second goal, all for positioning for takeouts (anywhere from 4-6 was my plan).

in the end, I was able to whittle down players and give the ball to Esters where her gluttonous mass and a wall of models in front of her basically killed the ball until I was ready to score a goal (if I could, anyway). Ultimately, the final score was 13-8, and it worked how I wanted. 

I felt my list was decent, but it didn't feel like a well-oiled Machine. I wasn't sure what I was missing. Any advice on list changes or some tactic I could try with Esters led teams?

Hard to not play scum with Friday. Stoker has some good synergies with esters since she can set people on fire and sing to give him plus damage, or defense to be 4/2. Mash can be changed with Hooper if you are wanting go hold the ball more then you need that extra punch. If you play pintpot and lucky then you could argue to put quaff in for the tac bonuses, otherwise it's usually the core four plus 2

If you can have the ball on Friday, well away from the other team, then stacking Esters' movement buff with Spigot's heroic can make Friday an insane goal threat (move 14" and kick 10").

Stoker works really well with Esters, providing more board control and taking advantage of his +1 dmg on people on fire.  Giving people an extra defense with Esters, and extra armor with Hooper, can make it really annoying to kill off Brewers.

What I find MOST useful is Spigot tooling up Esters and doing his heroic play.  Then she empowers herself for damage, and jogs 6" to make 5 attacks.  If they can't counter attack out of it, then this will completely take out most players.  If you can't risk the counter attack, then charge with her and get the KD (hopefully with damage on 4 hits).  Esters is a beast at take outs.  I have had her take out Mallet from full HP multiple times.  She usually gets 1 hit on a 5-0 and with 3 damage on 1 hit, she will kill them.  Another tip for Esters is to decide if you are going to get momentum (but lower damage), or take the higher non-momentous damage.  Generally I go for non-momentum damage and get the take out. 

Esters plays best defensively.  Stay together, let the other team score a goal, and throw it back in to your scrum.  Try to have it on Friday, near Spigot to be a 5-1.  You can empower Friday and tough skin her to a 6-2, which I'm pretty sure is the best possible stat any player can have in the game.  If they come for the ball, they can't get it with crowd outs.  If they stay away, hit em with Stokers fire and tooled up AoEs from Esters.

User her AoEs to block threatening opponents, giving out -4" of MOV (and 6 damage if tooled up) is huge and can ruin most players whole gameplan.

Gluttonous is really annoying, but you still have to be careful with Esters.  KD she's a 2-1 and easy to wrap on and can be shut down by 2" melee players. 

Your plan worked, however, I would not concede goals so easily, its a dangerous game. Friday, is excellent at holding onto the ball within Spigots buff range and when you have the chance, allow her to take shots.

OK, I will put Scum back into the lineup.

I just wanted to use Quaff with his pimpin' hat. :)

@BigRed, I just figured that my opponent would have a difficult time getting the last goal, and I was almost certain he would not get any takeouts in the match up.

Yeah, better to give up no goals intentionally, but had I not done it, I felt I wouldn't be able to have this small steamroller of guys plow through their isolated Engineers. I'll try a different strategy next time though.

Sometimes giving up a goal to have control of the ball is the best option. That Esters team really benefits from the ability to increase threat ranges using the ball. If you decide to take players like Mash you can also have a fairly safe place to park it as well. 

I don't think I would ever field Esters without Mash...he's such a great place to hide the ball and if he doesn't have it, he provides good reach for gang-up/crowd out and good tech for knocking the enemy around so you can control the scrum.  He's good at clumping people up for Esters/Stoker to drop AoE's on, too.

My WiP lineup for Esters is Esters, Scum, Spigot, Mash, Stoker, and Friday.  I've considered swapping PintPot for Friday, and probably would if I went with Quaff instead of Scum, but the cat's too good in most cases not to take.

With 2 Shadow-Likes, a "Get Over Here!", and an Unpredictable Movement, this is a surprisingly squirrelly Brewers team...

Then again, what do I know...I mostly play Tapper. =)

If you keep Mash in your roster then who's left out? My tourney 10 is Tapper, Esters, Scum,  Hooper, Spigot, Friday, Pint Pot, Stoker, Lucky, Stave. Stave mainly against farmers and maybe blacksmiths.

I play Mash in just about every game and the 10 I use to do that is Tapper Esters Scum Quaff Spigot Hooper Friday Mash Gutter Stoker.

Well, that roster is a bit odd ;) But that's the beauty of this game I guess, I have 3 different players in a 10-man roster and I feel really good about mine as I'm sure you do about yours. 

Esters is also amazing at settin up mash for the return goal.

give mash a speed boost, threatening a potential 10" tackle, and . If they bite, you put a super shot right back. (Unpredictable shuts down most rush keepers)

17 minutes ago, LowBall said:

(Unpredictable shuts down most rush keepers)

How? Tenderiser and Compound have 2" melee and at least 6" charge range, so both can charge in to base contact with you and then you can't dodge out of melee with them. 

10 hours ago, Edek said:

How? Tenderiser and Compound have 2" melee and at least 6" charge range, so both can charge in to base contact with you and then you can't dodge out of melee with them. 

Shit, You're right... 

Still, a 4/8"  coming from mid field should be able to stay safe...

I feel I'm a little late to the thread but I've done fairly well in my short coaching career with Esters leading the drunks so I'll chime in.  (4-2 in two tournaments)

With Esters I play more of a footballing squad with Friday and vSpigot being my star scorers, Esters and Stoker as pitch control, scrum support, and goaltending, Pint Pot as the goon, and Scum as the playbook wrapping momentum mill.  The crowd goes bananas when the cat-missile is launched; just get him some bonuses and charge him at their weakest defense piece and enjoy generating a stack of momentum off one attack (a tower of momentum if you load him up with influence and happen to get the 'free mascot charge' plot card). 

I've found Hooper lacking if he isn't paired with Tapper and oSpigot for the Commanding Aura and Tooled Up bonuses so I'd recommend Pint Pot for that role.  Otherwise Pint Pot is the most replaceable member.  Keep Staves on your 10 in case you are up against a team that needs to stay close packed to get their bonuses (like Blacksmiths), and Mash if you want to play the passing shell game with your other kickers to keep the ball away from the Fishermen or you want to keep your goal scoring potential from being blocked by a melee heavy opponent (assuming Butchers, I've not played against them yet).