Sid

Skulk is a new Spook

I’m fine with people posting him here since he’s sort of publicly available, so feel free. I haven’t got time to sort out pictures of mine :)

2 hours ago, Calum Todd said:

He looks like a fun goal keeper that could really mess up some strikers day by just following them around all game and making them rubbish at kicking the ball.

Big base and 2" melee covers a big area I guess. Makes those auras nastier.

Blocks line of sight better vs 30mm bases too

Just sharing here the pics that were posted to the Facebook Guildball Supporters Group (Gu.B.S.) by Ritch John Keeling :

(note: I cropped the originals to keep things as clean as I could)

23559480_10155041651842997_8306882620432697751_n.jpg.22ea28e79b6bbc53277c01e448a6510c.jpg23519288_10155041651837997_7622487760410826193_n.thumb.jpg.27484ba12b50a1c10ae87414d2957ec3.jpg

I have to admit, I can't understand the purpose of Goal Rats... When would it ever come into play!?

The way it's written it could only be use if a model unsnap the ball in base to base of the goal. The way they intended is that this is used when an opponent missed a goal and the ball ends up in base contact of your goal post.

I really "Lightning Reflexes" to come an d block people who are trying to sneak in with "Where'd they go"

He's going to find the striker and lock that fool down!

Local group was discussing the Goal Rats and best guess is that on a missed goal shot, AFTER the scatter is determined, if the ball stops and hits the goal post and sits base to base with the post, it's a free ball and then Skulk can pull it over within his range.

Is it possible for the ball to touch the goal after a failed goal kick? Wouldn't the 1" minimum of scatter move the ball more than far enough that it wouldn't be in contact with the goal? I guess I need to go back and refresh where you measure the deviation from. Is it center of the goal to center of the ball marker? Edge of goal to center of ball marker? Edge of goal to edge of ball marker?

15 minutes ago, jahorin said:

The way it's written it could only be use if a model unsnap the ball in base to base of the goal. The way they intended is that this is used when an opponent missed a goal and the ball ends up in base contact of your goal post.

The wording says "resolving" and not "resolved", so it can't be used until the kick is resolved (it can't be used before the scatter). Once the kick has been resolved the trait can be used.

1 minute ago, Rontath said:

I guess I need to go back and refresh where you measure the deviation from. Is it center of the goal to center of the ball marker? Edge of goal to center of ball marker? Edge of goal to edge of ball marker?

A failed shot on goal scatters in a direction determined by centering the kick scatter template over the goal post and measuring from the edge of the goal post to the centre of the ball. This gives you the final landing spot.

The ball path is then drawn from the kicker to the final landing spot. Any terrain on the ball path causes the ball to react as described in the terrain rules.

As the goal post is a barrier this means that quite often the ball is placed touching the goal post.

9 minutes ago, Henry said:

The wording says "resolving" and not "resolved", so it can't be used until the kick is resolved (it can't be used before the scatter). Once the kick has been resolved the trait can be used.

Thanks, that clears it up then...

9 minutes ago, Rontath said:

Is it possible for the ball to touch the goal after a failed goal kick? Wouldn't the 1" minimum of scatter move the ball more than far enough that it wouldn't be in contact with the goal? I guess I need to go back and refresh where you measure the deviation from. Is it center of the goal to center of the ball marker? Edge of goal to center of ball marker? Edge of goal to edge of ball marker?

Thing is, a goal-post is a Barrier (see definitions, page 14). So if a model shoots on goal and misses, if, after determining the final landing spot, the ball-path (from kicker to final spot) crosses the goal-post, the ball stops there, in contact with the goal...

See page 49, last paragraph under the Barrier heading:

[...] if [...] the ball-marker contacts a barrier during a scatter, use the rule of least disturbance to place the ball-marker in base-contact with the barrier along the ball-path.

+ Edit: Great, ninja'd by @Henry...

36 minutes ago, Henry said:

Oh, I get it!  Because when resolving a scatter, you place the ball marker and then roll scatter dice, and then determine the ball path, and then finally place the ball marker again when the scatter is resolved.

That's an important nuance.  Thanks for the proactive FAQ.

16 minutes ago, Cleavelander said:

Oh, I get it!  Because when resolving a scatter, you place the ball marker and then roll scatter dice, and then determine the ball path, and then finally place the ball marker again when the scatter is resolved.

That's an important nuance.  Thanks for the proactive FAQ.

Yeah, there's some confusion because of the dual use of the word place.  While you do physically place the ball marker during the scatter to determine the ball path and see if there are any intercepting models or terrain in the path, you don't technically game-rule place it until the final position is determined.  

I really think the term free-ball should just be made clear enough that the "except when resolving a scatter" caveat is redundant, and that would avoid the confusion on this rule (and be more elegant text).  Per the ruling about oooh...ball! below, the ball should never be considered a free-ball until after the final scatter location is determined and any models able to snap to have declined.

2 hours ago, Coach Z said:

Yeah, there's some confusion because of the dual use of the word place.  While you do physically place the ball marker during the scatter to determine the ball path and see if there are any intercepting models or terrain in the path, you don't technically game-rule place it until the final position is determined.  

I really think the term free-ball should just be made clear enough that the "except when resolving a scatter" caveat is redundant, and that would avoid the confusion on this rule (and be more elegant text).  Per the ruling about oooh...ball! below, the ball should never be considered a free-ball until after the final scatter location is determined and any models able to snap to have declined.

I’m not sure this is right? I mean, it’s totally clear that the intent is for missed goals but if you check the S3 rules the only time a ball is placed after a shot IS during resolving the scatter. So the only place that occurs during a scatter is during the final step of the kick timing chart  

As written unsnapping seems to be the only way to trigger it. 

Again I’m not arguing it SHOULD be used for missed shots. That’s so clearly the intent, but the wording just makes no sense. 

1 hour ago, Mitsuharu said:

I’m not sure this is right? I mean, it’s totally clear that the intent is for missed goals but if you check the S3 rules the only time a ball is placed after a shot IS during resolving the scatter. So the only place that occurs during a scatter is during the final step of the kick timing chart  

As written unsnapping seems to be the only way to trigger it. 

Again I’m not arguing it SHOULD be used for missed shots. That’s so clearly the intent, but the wording just makes no sense. 

While the word "place" is missing from the scatter resolution the intent and function is clear.

On 18/11/2017 at 3:38 PM, Redtiger7 said:

Cool. A goal keeper who doesn't have to stay in goal.

No, he makes it hard to shoot and when the shot on goal misses, takes possession of the ball...

...in theory

The 12" + base size circle of forcing your opponent to pay an extra INF to kick via Horrific Odour, while not necessarily having him tied to the goal to other be a decent player (i.e. not having conditional counter-charge), looks not unattractive. Maybe a good option to drop into kicking/football teams who need their INF allocation to be just right (Fish, Alchemists, Engineers teams who want to do more work than just scoring a goal)? You could centre him on the pitch and force kickers towards the flanks, or run him out towards a flank and force the kicking game into a more concentrated area to screw positioning. Interesting. Add in Follow Up, Poised and Lightning Reflexes and he's looking like a guy who gives strikers a hard time. Throw in Goal Rats for some randomly useful jank.

I wonder if the Ratcatchers Guild will generically have a rule that allows them all to apply Diseased after doing playbook damage.

Pity he isn't 2/4 INF.

Also wondering what kind of insight this gives us into Ratcatcher playbooks in general.

On 17/11/2017 at 5:50 PM, skcpae said:

Local group was discussing the Goal Rats and best guess is that on a missed goal shot, AFTER the scatter is determined, if the ball stops and hits the goal post and sits base to base with the post, it's a free ball and then Skulk can pull it over within his range.

I asked Jamie P  when he was using him in a game this week end and that is exactly what he said.

We both also noted that given his character plays this was more likely to happen when he was around.

It’s a tricksy one in some ways I think, as he doesn’t really want to get and keep the ball, but if his aura’s up then he’s already gone so can’t get it out to someone else... you need to time it carefully from what I was hearing over the weekend.

1 minute ago, Mako said:

It’s a tricksy one in some ways I think, as he doesn’t really want to get and keep the ball, but if his aura’s up then he’s already gone so can’t get it out to someone else... you need to time it carefully from what I was hearing over the weekend.

Puppet Master and I'm Open make it less of a concern.

I have just been putting him together and could no get the basket flush with his back. It turns out that the problem was not flash but an over generous mass of metal where his cloak fits over his buttock. I filed some of the cloak off, top and closest to him, 2 faces, and it clicked into place!   I thought it would need green stuff when I first saw it. 

It will be odd playing with a little voodoo doll of Jason Mountain:D

31 minutes ago, LeadDiceandBeers said:

Puppet Master and I'm Open make it less of a concern.

Pfft, Obulus. You'll be expecting me to paint him and use him next :P