Sign in to follow this  
Silversmith

Cage ball vs. Vet Rage

I loaned my Ballista, Colossus, Hoist, and Mainspring to my friend to play Cage Ball.  I brought V Rage, Gutter, Harry and Strongbox. I kicked off with Gutter.  He Deadbolted Gutter right away.  Nothing I could do to pick her up other than burn her move.  Not near anyone even at the end of the turn.  Harry threw a Molotov in the way of Colossus and Hoist.  That's the only reason I didn't lose first round.  Second round Colossus charged Harry and knocked him down and singled him out, then Hoist borrowed UA from Colossus and charged Harry, knocking him off the table. Mainspring shot the ball to Ballista and Ballista kicked a Breach, knocking down Gutter and Rage. He then scores again by taking out Gutter.  It was the least fun game of Guild Ball I have ever played.  And I knew what the team would do. On the other hand, my opponent has never dominated a game before.  So that was funish for him.

When kicking as Union, I highly recommend Mist.  He has a 5+ defense and a lot of kick off pressure.  Benediction is a good second player who pairs with Mist and vRage well, but either Harry or Gutter would work.  Sometimes you won't be able turn engage one, especially against Engineers.  In those situations the best you can do is make it dangerous for them to come into you turn 2.  Here it sounds like you were caught by surprise by their edge presence, which was magnified by the format.  It's tough playing in the middle 14" of the pitch, but the Engineers don't have the players to outfight vRage by a long shot.  I think if you play a rematch and manage to kill the ball, even if it's after Ballista scores his first goal, you'll find the Engineers get caught in a slog that they can't win.

I usually play Engineers and was still caught by surprise.  My first mistake was positioning too close to the edge.  I specifically chose Colossus and Hoist for the UA threat and ignored it.  I chose Mainspring for inf efficiency.  Looks like I chose well.