Sign in to follow this  
WarpWookie

VP, MOM, Goal trackers/counters

Hey GB community, There are a lot of ways to track momentum, victory points, goals and HP out there. My personal favorite is a dial I got from Laser Boi in Australia. Post up your favorite dial, counter or your own solution for tracking these.

I use a homemade magnetic dial for MP, a strip of sticky plastic on my cards and a dry erase marker for health, and for vp, I have 3d printed pillars on my goalposts that have a built in vertical dial. 

I'm really not a fan of the dials for momentum tracking.  It may be really handy for you, but it's impossible for your opponent to read.  I think these things should be tracked in a way that's readily clear to both players.

Edit: I use glass beads for momentum, and have started using this warhammer fantasy magic tracker thingamabob I found for tracking the score.  Contrary to my position stated above, however, it's a little hard to read.  =P  I have a silver KR case for my widgets, and I used to just write the score there with a dry erase marker.  Worked great and was really clear.  The warhammer thingamabob just has the advantage of taking up a quarter of the space.  I'll probably try painting up the thingamabob so the numbers stand out clearly.

Call me original but I just use a distinctly different colored die placed on the goal marker. When I play fish I don't really have to worry about momentum so I use my best painted die. If I play anyone else I generally use a d12 since it has a nice big face.

I use counters but am torn between them and a die. I echo Coach Z's comment about dials being too difficult for your opponent to easily read.

Counters are good unless you store the spare counters close to where you mark your MOM as it's possible to mix the two. Also, make sure that the MOM markers are distinct from your Influence. I was playing in bad lighting and accidentally allocated my 2nd activation MOM as an influence marker.

Dice don't have the mixing issue but can be knocked over or picked up and rolled accidentally.

I can totally agree with the dials, definitely hard to read from accross the table and mine dont have a locking type mechanizm so im constantly just make sure it didnt move can be very frustrating. I almost wish the was some thing like a golf stroke counter or something

I use the icy sponde token for momentum tracking until I find something I like more

For life point, I bought some magic the gathering commander life counter, they are big enough so that the opponent can see the number from acros the table

I really like TanE's trackers, have two of them myself.

BUT

A lot of my opponents said that they are hard to read from a distance and having played against a few of them I can confirm that. I have to ask my opponent how much momentum he has. So I was looking for something else as I don't like to use dice (easy to fall to a different facing) or tokens (too cumbersome to have another kind of tokens that I have to keep track of)..

I want to track momentum, VP and the number of goals made (for goal influence). Goal influence is normally not a problem, I just add the bonus counters to my pool of influence the moment I score a goal.

So momentum and VP remaining. In a video battle report I saw someone using an abacus to track that and I found that very neat. But such an abacus was a little bit too bulky for me to transport it to tournaments in my backpack.

And then I found this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ABACO-20-tricolor-rot-blau-Klasse/dp/B00DS7NQ7Q/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1511774932&sr=8-18&keywords=abaco

It is perfect. In one row I track VP (using the red color), in the other I track momentum (using the blue color). They snap to the color so they don't accidently move. It is really easy to add/subtract momentum and it is easily recognizable from across the table. And it is not overly big and easy to transport.

I honestly hate dials for momentum tracking.

As stated above, your opponent can't read it and keep an eye on what you're doing with it. I find it really close to being "not fairplay".

I use big glass beads personnally.

10 minutes ago, Mootaz said:

And then I found this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ABACO-20-tricolor-rot-blau-Klasse/dp/B00DS7NQ7Q/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1511774932&sr=8-18&keywords=abaco

It is perfect. In one row I track VP (using the red color), in the other I track momentum (using the blue color). They snap to the color so they don't accidently move. It is really easy to add/subtract momentum and it is easily recognizable from across the table. And it is not overly big and easy to transport.

It seems very cool!

Have to agree that dials are really handy for you but in the end not cool for your opponent...

I had one crafted for myself but decided not to use it in the end because people could not read it from their side of the table.

Sometime just asking your opponent for how much momentum they have can give away your plans. It should be an open information and you should not have to ask for it.

Now I just use glass beads to track momentum.