Sign in to follow this  
Major_Fokker

Vet Zarola

It was asked in another thread what Vet guild member would people like to see, to which a few Hunter players stated that Zarola was their choice.

So I thought I would ask, if she was ever to be chosen to become a Veteran Model, what SENSIBLE changes would you like to see her have?

Apart from making her a  3/4 Inf and maybe increasing her movement to match Jaecar to 7/9

what playbook would you like to see? 

I wouldnt mind seeing a more combat orientated Zarola. I dont like the idea of making Vet Zarola just a hot fix for the regular. 

Having (linked: Seenah) and some interesting character plays would be a good way OR animal assist so she could get some more damage or help Seenah and Fahad even more, almost a beastmaster feel.

These are just a couple of ideas anyway.

1 hour ago, Major_Fokker said:

I did think linking her with every animal, Fahad, Seenah, Snow AND ULFR ;) would certainly be interesting. 

I considered that but I would put that in the “a bit much” category. The reason I would prefer Seenah linked is because you could give help and buffs and take full advantage of them but would reduce crazy goal shenanigans.

I think Assist: Animal would be reasonable, +1 DAM, +1 TAC would help every animal player do what they like but keep it from spiraling out like linked would.

If you were going to make changes I would be interested to see how a legendary play that could link to any other team member would work.

It would have value under both captains and as once per game I don't think it would be OP.

However I'm assuming that she still has MO. Without that it's pointless and for me she never gets on the pitch ahead of her current incarnation

2 hours ago, JacctheInsomniac said:

Current Zarola can let models make jogs out of turn, what if vetZarola let models use Character Plays or make Attacks out of turn?

Make it her Heroic. BotSF that works out-of-turn!

I was also looking at the stat card for Cast and thinking, “wouldn’t it be cool if Chain Bolas also forced ball scatter?”

Because, for real, how do you hold onto the ball with your legs all wrapped up?

I would continue to make her a support model. Give her Second Wind to continue her movement and an ability I am too proud of. I present...

Master Baiter: Target model gains isolated target.

I don't think we will see Tooled up in our Guild, but this could be our runner up. Not sure how you balance it. Make it ranged self? Make it cost 2? Beats me, I just know Steamforged owes us a character play with this name after the ever so cringy "Arrow to the Knee."

2 hours ago, Anudem said:

I don't think we will see Tooled up in our Guild

If you had both it would be a dirty dirty game. :)

I'm Tooled up and Master Baiting.

Just a real dirty move.

10 hours ago, Mistergone said:

I was also looking at the stat card for Cast and thinking, “wouldn’t it be cool if Chain Bolas also forced ball scatter?”

Because, for real, how do you hold onto the ball with your legs all wrapped up?

Knockdown would make more sense. That's more or less what bolas are designed to do.

4 hours ago, Anudem said:

I would continue to make her a support model. Give her Second Wind to continue her movement and an ability I am too proud of. I present...

I don't think we will see Tooled up in our Guild, but this could be our runner up. Not sure how you balance it. Make it ranged self? Make it cost 2? Beats me, I just know Steamforged owes us a character play with this name after the ever so cringy "Arrow to the Knee."

If she had an ability like this I think range 4 and 1 influence is perfectly reasonable. Isolated target does not apply to character plays and it already is reliant on the opponent having a clearable condition.

I like second wind as a general ability but compared to MO, its a hard one to sell. 

The balancing act for veterans is a tough one.

The only interesting part of Zarola right now is Midnight Offering, and possibly UM. If you make another Zarola, you're going to have to remove Midnight Offering because if you keep it, she's going to be strictly better than Zarola1, or vice versa.

If you're removing Midnight Offering, the character is basically a blank slate and you could do pretty much anything with her and have her be interesting. I think it would be most interesting to have her as a straight up striker - since you can't have her in the same team as MO you can give her a better inbuilt threat range without her being excessive.

6 hours ago, Myyrä said:

Knockdown would make more sense. That's more or less what bolas are designed to do.

It would make more sense, and the thought has crossed my mind. But I worry about suggesting improvements that seem overpowered- like there will be some karmic retribution for so much as making the suggestion.

”Oh the Hunters want ranged Knockdown? Time to nerf Jaecar!”

40 minutes ago, Benito said:

Why speculate on a veteran version of Zarola when she may never see the light of day?

Because it's fun?

No one here are designers for Guild Ball but that doesn't mean no one here are designers. Brainstorms like this are fun exercises that can sometimes get people excited for the design space of the game they enjoy playing. I dunno if SFG has the, "not allowed to look at designs from outside the company," rule that some companies do, but if these threads give SFG things to pick at, all the better.

:P

On a personal note, I really like Zarola. Rather than a veteran version, I prefer a change of Playbook and the transition to 2/4 influences for it to be more autonomous. Being able to run then Midnight offering herself then shooting at goal (without a Blessing) would be really good.
Today she only provides support and I would like her to be more active.
So that's my wish for season 4. ;)