Sign in to follow this  
pufftuff

Help bp+mem

I've used B&M for last 20+ games with Morticians and I really rate them. 

I typically use memory as a beater, he requires little set up and does reliable 8+ momentous damage. I tend to try and activate him late first turn after someone has been dragged in, or early in a turn for a reliable kill. Peoples counter-attacks are often no good on the puppet as 5-0 and can dodge back in. Don't forget the dodge each turn as he normally wants 1-2 players applying Ganging Up to really hit the M2/3 reliably. 

Memory can be fantastic as well just to be a nuisance. He can be used to charge block lanes, tie up a furious player or generally apply Crowding out & Ganging up across the board. Memory can do all of this while Brainpan stays safe in the back to midfield!

Lastly they can be used to score goals but this does require Brainpan to be midfield and memory a bit deeper, but the goal is solid with Brainpan kicking to Memory for the 4" dodge, paying for 2 more dodges and the goal kick. It's reliable at 3 dice needing 3s and doesn't really risk Brainpan to heavily.

All in all they're my favourite players in both design and execution of design. They're a fantastic toolbox which can do pretty much anything you want and Memory often ends up doing the most damage out of the whole team - you MUST remember to make the dodges and make most use out of memory's positioning. He's a pain for your opponent to remove and often it's for no reward. 

Last word on them is to avoid match ups where there is a lot of KD across the table. Once memory is KD the only way to stand him is up is pay 2 momentum which can leave Brainpan rather useless! Hope this helps. 

So, I"m getting ready to field this duo as well...what I'm understanding is Memory gets to dodge at the start of each player on your teams turn/activation? Meaning he can just move up and down the pitch basically on his own accord, and gets to do stuff as long as he's in Brainpan's range?  So you get all the benefits for a real model, but they opponent gets nothing for taking him out? 

I've played against A/Greed, and they are craptastic to face...i'm hoping this duo is just as painful for opponents to face.

Opponent is getting momentum for taking puppet out but no VP. He's not as good as true model, has no activation so can't remove conditions for 1 momentum, can't move outside the dodges, can't attack or shoot when he's away from Brain. And he is fun to play, unique model. Remember that only friendly guild models proc the free dodge so taking union You reduce his range slighty.

17 hours ago, Ragnar Rok said:

So, I"m getting ready to field this duo as well...what I'm understanding is Memory gets to dodge at the start of each player on your teams turn/activation? Meaning he can just move up and down the pitch basically on his own accord, and gets to do stuff as long as he's in Brainpan's range?  So you get all the benefits for a real model, but they opponent gets nothing for taking him out? 

I've played against A/Greed, and they are craptastic to face...i'm hoping this duo is just as painful for opponents to face.

Pretty much Ragnar. He dodges 2" at the start of each models activation but note it has to be freindly guild, so he doesn't dodge off a Unions model activation. For Brainpan to make him attack or kick Brainpan has to be within 8" of Memory.  

Your opponent will get momentum for inflicting the Taken Out condition on a player, but get no VPs. His short playbook is amazing for wrapping and it's all momentous. 

On 11/8/2017 at 3:32 PM, pufftuff said:

I'm so bad with this duo but i know they can crush. I'm just terribad. Crash course?

Can you elaborate  a little on this? What is going wrong?

I basically start every list with Graves and Brainpan and Memory.  I think they are our only models that are always going to be useful in some way.  Once I started seeing them as a utility piece that would reliably generate some damage and some momentum, with the potential to score rather than a model that was going to obliterate someone in a round I became much happier with them.  First off, I'd avoid trying to buff Memory up, as he just won't survive to use it.  I think you have to be happy with the base damage he does along with the momentum he generates.  I also don't think creating a big scrum is in our best interest, so I tend not to try to set up massive crowdouts for him hoping to wrap.  If I get Sic Em, occasionally I will try to get that going with the singled out from Dirge, along with that crowd, or maybe another, but I don't like to bunch up, as I think most other brawling teams come out ahead in that style of game.  I like to use memory early in turns to try to bait out attacks that could be targeting other players by dodging him into the way of the opponents pieces.  If he lives, generally he becomes a crowdout for a tooled up obulus hopefully on a lower defense piece, or someone that I have knocked over with Ghast previously.   If they kill him, by saving Brainpan until late in the turn, I can pop him back out Usually within a dodge or two of getting back into someone.  The biggest issue you tend to run into with him is knockdowns limiting his usefulness. Even that isn't really the end of the world though.  He still has dodges to position him in the way, and if your opponent doesn't kill him for you then the 2 momentum to stand him up will usually become 4 off of his attacks.  You do need to pick your targets with him though.  Avoid attacking into people able to hit 3+ damage or a knockdown onto a defense 5 model. 

This point of not buffing Memory makes me think... Mortician's strength is the ability to control the opponent and get incremental gains to account for their weaknesses. I look at Puppet Master and say 'did I get more than 4 influence of value from this play?'

Suppose buffing Memory supports this strategy. Give him tooled up costing 1inf. The opponent decides they have to deal with it, and waste, what, 2-3 inf in taking him out. Brainpan hasn't activated yet (obviously, since why would we tool up Memory otherwise), so can recreate him 4in away, or with just over 6in threat. In other words, we have spent 1inf from Graves to waste 2-3 of the opponents inf. Seems exactly a Morticians plan to me

1 hour ago, kaladorm said:

This point of not buffing Memory makes me think... Mortician's strength is the ability to control the opponent and get incremental gains to account for their weaknesses. I look at Puppet Master and say 'did I get more than 4 influence of value from this play?'

Suppose buffing Memory supports this strategy. Give him tooled up costing 1inf. The opponent decides they have to deal with it, and waste, what, 2-3 inf in taking him out. Brainpan hasn't activated yet (obviously, since why would we tool up Memory otherwise), so can recreate him 4in away, or with just over 6in threat. In other words, we have spent 1inf from Graves to waste 2-3 of the opponents inf. Seems exactly a Morticians plan to me

I guess the thought might be that 'Tooled Up" could have had a better return elsewhere. But these things are always situational.

Perhaps a little contrary to some posters I fully believe in tooling up the puppet and making the most of early ganging up bonuses with a view to killing an opponent  and allowing the other model to move on afterwards.

The ideal setup would be a 2 inch melee model engaging somebody with Brainpan using his movement to come in to with Memory joining. TAC already longer than the playbook with an extra 2 dice being added so wraps more than possible. 3(4) + 1(2) x 4 = 24 points of damage on a lower defence model. I've taken out Boar this way much to the surprise of my opponent.