Chud_Munson

Weapon Arts

Hey all,

I was thinking yesterday about one of the things I recall someone saying about some of the weapons and gear feeling "samey". I personally like the way the weapons are, but it did get me thinking a little; would people be interested if I came up with a Weapon Arts houserule expansion (for non-DS video game players, this was an addition to Dark Souls 3)? Basically it would be an individual little perk that each weapon has to make each of them stand out a little. It would look like the Extended Rules PDF I made and posted on here, but would include an alphabetized list of weapons with their associated Weapon Art. A few questions though before I work on something like that:

1. Would it be too overbearing? That is, is it too much mental heft to have to look up each weapon's Art in a rulesheet when you're playing the game?
  2. How would you prefer they work in terms of cost? A couple ways I've thought of:
    1. Flip the Heroic Action token to use a Weapon Art instead. I kinda like this because it's straightforward and has an inherent cost so it doesn't necessarily make the game any easier. The downside is it's pretty minimal in terms of strategy impact; just a minor quirk to gameplay.
    2. Characters can buy Weapon Art cubes at the Bonfire for a soul a piece that can be used to activate Weapon Arts. This is nice because really great Arts could cost more than one cube. The downside is now there's a cube economy to worry about which is a little more involved to balance with dozens of weapons. I don't mind putting work into this, but it does make the whole concept a little more involved. Also, it's likely people are going to need to buy extra cubes or have some other way of tracking this. What I do like about this is it's a little more intriguing and lets people make builds that utilize Weapon Arts specifically and can choose whether they want to invest in this heavily and make it a part of their strategy.
  3. Would you want a Weapon Art for each weapon, or Arts that apply to classes of weapons?

Weapon arts were indeed used in Dark Souls 3. http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/skills - page for all the weapon arts in the game

It would probably be easier and more Dark Soulsy if you made the Weapon Arts weapon class based, but this could of course change for individualt weapons.

Buying Weapon Art cubes is the way to go in my opinion.

Try to include shields, spells etc aswell. Weapon arts for shields could be "good" parry, normal parry, maybe somekind of taunt, spell parry for ranged attacks, bigger bulkier shields could use shield bash to add stagger tokens or something.

Using rulesheets for encounters you made wasn't that difficult or overwhelming. However, with so many different weapons this could get to a point were there's just too many rules to follow.

I used weapon arts to change some of the ability bars you made a while back, so I could probably help you figuring out which weapons does what.

PS: could you send me the page you used for your house-rules? Would like to make my house-rules little more presentable.

About using weapon arts on shields to parry etc. Not sure if this is a great idea to be honest, since its seems a little wierd to pay souls to enable parry in the game. They way I've handled that atm is somewhat better, but using this and my rules set we could probably figure something out :P

1 hour ago, Dizn said:

Weapon arts were indeed used in Dark Souls 3. http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/skills - page for all the weapon arts in the game

It would probably be easier and more Dark Soulsy if you made the Weapon Arts weapon class based, but this could of course change for individualt weapons.

Buying Weapon Art cubes is the way to go in my opinion.

Try to include shields, spells etc aswell. Weapon arts for shields could be "good" parry, normal parry, maybe somekind of taunt, spell parry for ranged attacks, bigger bulkier shields could use shield bash to add stagger tokens or something.

Using rulesheets for encounters you made wasn't that difficult or overwhelming. However, with so many different weapons this could get to a point were there's just too many rules to follow.

I used weapon arts to change some of the ability bars you made a while back, so I could probably help you figuring out which weapons does what.

PS: could you send me the page you used for your house-rules? Would like to make my house-rules little more presentable.

Yeah, I actually did start on this a bit, and I think buying the cubes is the way to go too. Could do something like either buy cubes or flip your Heroic Action, so that way you can use it on your first dungeon tile if you want.

I keep going back and forth about adding Weapon Arts for shields. In my mind, shields are kinda inherently unexciting, so for them to be samey is totally fine. I'll play with the idea a bit though. I might end up doing something like only adding one or two for different shield types. I did add Arts for spells though.

Good to know the ruleset is manageable. I guess I'll just go for it, people don't have to use it all, right?

The ones I came up with I actually cross-referenced against the Weapon Arts in DS3. I hope when you see the sheet, you'll notice that the rules for some reflect what the weapon did in the video game, more-or-less (some didn't translate that well, so I came up with new ones).

I actually just grabbed the background from the official DS rules PDF, and then used Optimus Princeps/Adobe Caslon Pro fonts, loaded it up in GIMP and voila.

So also, to be totally clear, my idea was that the use of a cube was to use the weapon art once (one time use per cube). So basically, you have to either sacrifice your Heroic Action or pay a soul to activate the ability rather than either option giving you the Weapon Art on the weapon forever. I don't want them to be totally overpowered, but exciting enough that people are willing to spend a soul to use it. This is also kind of an alternative way of mitigating the weapon lottery. If people want some certainty, they can instead invest souls in their Weapon Arts, making their weapons have a little more oomph when it matters. Your starting weapons still aren't going to kill any bosses for you probably, but at least you won't feel useless for the first half of the game.

For parry, I ended up making this an Art for the Long Sword, and I think it was something like "Before blocking, you may guess a number. If this number is equal to your Block roll, use this Art to make a Long Sword attack against the model that attacked you at half the Stamina cost."

I did actually end up adding this. Check it out here.

I ended up tending toward mild/moderate effects for the Weapon Arts. Even though a soul (or two souls in some cases) is a lot to do a single action, my feeling was I could see people getting lucky with a weapon draw, and then just spending the rest of their souls so that they can keep doing the Weapon Art and tearing enemies/bosses to shreds. The only exception is that the boss treasure Weapon Arts are a bit better than the rest of them. I suspect I struck a good balance between cost and usefulness of the Art in most cases, but let me know if you guys feel like there are problematic ones.