Sign in to follow this  
AaronWilson.

A new blog dedicated to the Hunters guild

5 hours ago, angyi said:

Yeah that way you successfully denied his first-turn-game-over modus operandi. But also his posse farts a fistful of harvest markers, he builds up his lines a bit, and going second means he'll have an easy way to clear conditions if Millstone fails to protect him, ignore rough ground etc. To me that's the backside of Theron vs brawlers (not exclusively Thresher but vRage and the likes): you denied his turn, but practically did nothing to collect VPs either, and contact can't be avoided for ever.

Ok, so let's go with Thresher and company get into position with harvest markers for turn two because Thresher didn't kick off and another model did.

There are a lot of variables here, because I don't know who he kicks off with. My guess is Jackstraw or Tater. Regardless, the starting strategy remains pretty similar as you use Sun Strike to win the initiative for round two, which you should as I see no way for Farmer's to generate momentum unless you feed them a player (don't...unless it's Egret, she deserves it).

Also, I don't think you've done nothing to earn VP's in your scenario. Some model is taking damage via character plays and you're setting up for a round two goal. 

Turn two you still Pin and control Thresher. Problem is keeping your models spread out. If you can strait up trade Theron for Thresher, that's as good as you're gonna get.  Meaning if Theron is going to get nailed by Thresher, make sure Theron is the only model that will be threatened by Thresher's 3" reach. Honestly I would try to get Theron the ball for him for the top of two turn so he can hopfully Pin/Snipe/chip damage Thresher and get a goal.  No one on that team is going to dish any real damage outside of Tater and Thresher. 

Before the Farmer's game I never tried to use Theron as a melee beater. Theron is a turbo murdering S.O.B. into Farmer's. Thanks to their crap defensive stats, Theron can charge in, hit the KD and snare with a damage so you can hopfully be able to hit the momentous 3 on five successes consistently. 

9 hours ago, Anudem said:

1) My opponent is a pretty good player but I did catch him flat on his feet. We talked about it and even if he didn't kick with Thresher that is still preferable for me because Thresher is not in a position to threat. 

2) Failing to Pin would suck. Suck a ton. But we play a dice game, so I'm gonna try regardless. If Theron fails to Pin Zarola would pull Theron back to safety as I curse.  I also get two tries at Snipe to build momentum so I can bonus time Pinned on a hopefully snared Thresher so odds are pretty favorable to land the Pin.

3) I don't fail to Boom box, it's too important. If I do, hopfully Thresher is still chipped up enough to take out on the first activation of turn two. 

4) Egret sucks. 

It's really hard if you have to kick to Thresher.  The Farmer team out threaten the Hunters by a long long way (Thresher is base 11, 2 for Millstone and 4 for a give 'n go, if you kick to them they'll bunker up, plant there harvest markers and only engage when it's favourable for them. Slowly crawl up the field under counter-charge bubble & Harrow aura. We either give them a player to engage or let them get a free goal, Theron can't just walk in and Pinned grange as first activation Thresher is tooled up, whenever he activates he hands the ball to Tater so he can then Give 'n go for extra threat.

I can confirm after playing Thesher, ALOT that it's currently VERY hard for Theron if Thresher gets to recieve the ball. Go watch Botts v Peter Williamson on the World Champs stream, botts plays it perfectly with a very slow cagey game which forces a mistake out of peter. It's vey tough.

4 hours ago, Anudem said:

If you can strait up trade Theron for Thresher, that's as good as you're gonna get.  Meaning if Theron is going to get nailed by Thresher, make sure Theron is the only model that will be threatened by Thresher's 3" reach.

I think sooner or later (most likely sooner) you'll have to accept this deal, but you're right it can be a reasonable one. And Zarola makes the difference, forcing your opponent to seal the deal under unfavorable terms. I still wouldn't call it anti-tech, but visible odds that many other factions can only dream of, in this Age of Thresher. Now if you're kicking, it's still doom and gloom, but you can't have everything :)

6 hours ago, ForestRambo said:

It's really hard if you have to kick to Thresher.  The Farmer team out threaten the Hunters by a long long way (Thresher is base 11, 2 for Millstone and 4 for a give 'n go, if you kick to them they'll bunker up, plant there harvest markers and only engage when it's favourable for them. Slowly crawl up the field under counter-charge bubble & Harrow aura. We either give them a player to engage or let them get a free goal, Theron can't just walk in and Pinned grange as first activation Thresher is tooled up, whenever he activates he hands the ball to Tater so he can then Give 'n go for extra threat.

I can confirm after playing Thesher, ALOT that it's currently VERY hard for Theron if Thresher gets to recieve the ball. Go watch Botts v Peter Williamson on the World Champs stream, botts plays it perfectly with a very slow cagey game which forces a mistake out of peter. It's vey tough.

Sorry if my first point is vague. I'm still talking about Farmer's kicking off but just not using Thresher as the kick off model. 

I'll admit, I do not have a solid plan of running face first into Thresher should I kick to him. It's likely Skatha as she is one of the strongest kick off models in the game and you can work at out threating Thresher via fast ground and snowball. But kicking into Thresher sounds a lot tougher. And again I still really worry about Grange. 

Now get back to your blog, Captain Blogey McBlogface. 

What about a series on plays and counterplays into a specific guild or team lineup/captain. It might be nice to get some your insight and then follow it up with some discussion. Understanding what players do/work into certain matchups is a big deal... especially for new players or players new to any guild. 

9 hours ago, UTasteSoSo said:

What about a series on plays and counterplays into a specific guild or team lineup/captain. It might be nice to get some your insight and then follow it up with some discussion. Understanding what players do/work into certain matchups is a big deal... especially for new players or players new to any guild. 

This is a good idea! I shall do this :D

Or, if you have any, I'd be interested in your clock management tactics. I hate losing 9-12 all the time, where 9-9 is the hard earned VP count.

I really like your blog.

I also like O Hearne over V Hearne. I use BOTSF almost every game and usually put 2 or 3 on him in turn two and 3. He generates good momentum and can put out good damage with 3 inf plus heroic. It is also a lot of fun to set up Fahad for a singled out snared target.

Great blog, thank you

1 hour ago, ForestRambo said:

I'ma write up a article on clock management tomorrow

Word! With my butchers I can recall a single match which I could have won, but lost on the clock. (Those games don't count that I'd have lost anyways, and the clock just sealed the deal.) But with hunters, I seem to burn my time with the most silly things.

Sorry for being a few late guys! Christmas is busy

Hey guys, today I'm back with a article requested from a few forum readers. I take a look at clock managament today and I throw down my top 3 tips of minimising the time wasted on your clock.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter, so drop some comments in the thread.

On 12/26/2017 at 6:21 AM, ForestRambo said:

Sorry for being a few late guys! Christmas is busy

Hey guys, today I'm back with a article requested from a few forum readers. I take a look at clock managament today and I throw down my top 3 tips of minimising the time wasted on your clock.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the matter, so drop some comments in the thread.

Nice job. 

19 hours ago, ForestRambo said:

Thanks man! I hope you found some of my ramble useful :D 

I am learning a lot from it, and other posts. I actually had the day off, and played a solo game against my Fish, which I lost to my own Fish...lol. I played a very fair game, on both sides.  Fatty Corsair kicked in the game winner. It felt so comfortable playing Fish, but I told myself to give Hunters at least six months, so I am.

The time piece article was really good, and there are some great tips in there.  

26057871_10215371883160644_1084460134_n.jpg

Those 3 are fair points and apply to the whole game, no matter which faction you are playing. Do you have any hunters-specific observation? I, for, one, tend to burn too much time with measuring, because hunters' goal runs (and generally their whack-a-mole style) seem to be really tight, every 0.1 inches count.

https://forestrambo.blogspot.co.uk/

Happy new year all! Today on the blog I'm back, I take a look at how 2017 was for me in Guildball as well as look forward to 2018 and what my plans for it are.

I really hope 2018 is a awesome year for you all and wish for good health for everyone here. You're the best community about 1f642.png:)!

On 29/12/2017 at 1:45 PM, angyi said:

Those 3 are fair points and apply to the whole game, no matter which faction you are playing. Do you have any hunters-specific observation? I, for, one, tend to burn too much time with measuring, because hunters' goal runs (and generally their whack-a-mole style) seem to be really tight, every 0.1 inches count.

I don't really do anything unique to Hunters to save time that I do with any other guild. Hunters require more set up then most guilds and like to be able to roll turns over to make the most of that set up. My best advice would be to just keep playing games and get to use the ranges we deal with in Hunters.

So I have a event on Sunday which I'm of course taking the Hunters to and will be writing up. During the week I will have should have the time to put a article up, does anyone have any requests on what they'd like me to write about? 

59 minutes ago, ForestRambo said:

So I have a event on Sunday which I'm of course taking the Hunters to and will be writing up. During the week I will have should have the time to put a article up, does anyone have any requests on what they'd like me to write about? 

You should do a post about the Hunter's GICs, and which one(s) you prefer to use. I'd also like to see which Captains you would take into which teams.

21 minutes ago, ningu said:

You should do a post about the Hunter's GICs, and which one(s) you prefer to use. I'd also like to see which Captains you would take into which teams.

Great idea, thanks mate! 

www.forestrambo.blogspot.com

I'm back today taking a look at the GIC's and my thoughts on them as well what captains I play into what teams. Check it out as ever and let's get some discussion going. 

15 minutes ago, ForestRambo said:

www.forestrambo.blogspot.com

I'm back today taking a look at the GIC's and my thoughts on them as well what captains I play into what teams. Check it out as ever and let's get some discussion going. 

Now I just need to work out how to use this info against you :D