Sign in to follow this  
Silversmith

Engineers: Control Team?

It seems odd to think of my Engineers as a control team but they kind of function that way.  They aren't great at takeouts.  They aren't very fast (for the most part). In some ways they make the other team play a more control game than they normally would.  They'll never be able to go head-to-head with Butchers or Brewers in a straight up battle.  Fish and Alchemists will out-football the Engineers if given an opportunity.  So where does that leave us? A weird hybrid that smacks of control? Thus far this season I have won far more games with 3 goals than anything else.  However, I have also won with 4 takeouts and a goal. And 2&2.  So how do Engineers play "control"?

Knockdown.  One of the foremost methods available to Engineers is KD.  Ballista with his Dead Bolt or on 3 or 5 on his playbook.  Locus on 1. Colossus on 2. Even Pin Vice (5), Compound (4&5), and Ratchet (4) have KD with a suitable dice spike. Knockdown allows the Engineers to require spending of movement or momentum to stand up, causes the ball to scatter, possibly allowing pick up or kick by Salvo, Mother, or Locus.

This leads to a second form of control.  Ball Control.  There are several types of Ball Control in Engineers.  Locus, Mother and Salvo all have an ability to manipulate the ball from a distance.  Even Colossus has the ability to snap the ball from 2" With his long legs trait.  This means that teams that like to kill the ball can't do so by kicking it into a corner.  They have to dedicate a player to hold the ball which removes them from the game, otherwise. Velocity and Pin Vice both have Close Control, a trait that keeps the ball from being taken by one successful tackle.  They are arguably the best ball handlers in the game.  Most of them have 4 dice kicks. Velocity and Salvo both have 8" kicks and Ballista has 10" under his Legendary. Pin Vice allows an opportunity for a goal from almost anywhere with careful planning and some luck.

Going right along with this is the position of Tackle on Engineer's playbooks.  5 of the 12 have Momentous Tackles on 1. The others have it on 2 or 3. To your opponent this means if they have a person holding the ball he better have a high def/ARM or close control.  The Engineers can strip the ball and kick it away or into the goal very quickly. I have scored with Pin Vice after activating Controller on Velocity and tackled the ball off of the opponent's ball carrier after throw in and scored again without a chance for him to respond.  It only worked once but it was glorious.

Last is Colossus. He has a singular ability to control and reshape the field.  Locus and Compound, or even Velocity can do this to a lesser extent, but he is the master.  On a charge he can regularly hit his 4th column and use his character play U expected arrival.  This 4" mass push directly away from Colossus can do wonders to break up a scrum or less commonly, push models off the pitch.

These threats really mean that the Engineers are a control team, to some extent. The control is more indirect than Obulus, but it works well if you can get a handle on the tools.

Good post, agree on the points you mentioned. You forgot one other method of control - ranged damage and rough ground. Engineers can put out 11-13 momentous damage at range, with about 8 of it being aoe damage. The damage and momentum alone are a form of control as they force your opponent to engage you or end up losing their models over several turns. You then add on top of that that almost all of the ranged damage CPs have either rough ground or a push associated with them, and you now have even more control.

Excellent summary overall. I'm surprised to read (and not only here) that Engineers aren't considered the 'fast' guild.

With the obvious exception of Locus (MOV 4"/6" - most teams seems to have one slow-poke!), most of the Engineer's lineup have top-speed of 8" when Sprinting. Hoist (MOV 5"/7") and Compound (MOV 5"/7") are marginally slower, but on the whole it's nearly as irrelevant as Memory's 0"/0" MOV statistic due to the copious amount of "jank in the tank" available to Engineers. Pin Vice (MOV 7"/9") and vVelocity (MOV 7"/9" when using the Fly Keeper Character Trait)  share the top-MOV stat available to any non-mascot player on any team. Granted, Engineers do not have access to the much-loved Where'd They Go?!, but oVelocity and Hoist (via True Replication...the most "broken" Character Play in the game IMO) have access to Acrobatics. And then there Pin Vice, the Queen of Speed. Alternator (which is not even a Once Per Turn play! :blink:) makes even the slowest on the team (Locus) a respectable MOV 6"/8" or can send either version of Velocity, Mother, Mainspring (lol), or even Pin Vice herself on a Turn 1 goal-run. 

The Mainspring goal run is one of my favorite plays. I really think both Engineers mascots are broken. A 3d6/8" pass for free any and every turn.  No influence on Mainspring? No worries.  He'll still run get the ball and pass it in for a snap shot. Then the fact that his defense is 4/1.  That ain't bad.  Coupled with Ratchet and overclocked a free charge and tackle with a free kick back to the home team is kinda strong.

@dtjunkie19 Thank you for reminding me of my massive oversight.  All good points.

1 hour ago, Ridiculus said:

I can't see the use for Mainspring as long Mother is as it is. (Please no nerf SFG!).

I wish I could blow up Mainspring more reliably.

That's the very reason why Mother should get nerfed. Or Mainspring needs a buff. Far be it for me to say which it should be, but I put it to you that the Mother nerf seems more likely.

Edit: How about Ratchet loses tooled up and gains a character play that allows him to remotely blow Mainspring up?

6 minutes ago, Selfy said:

That's the very reason why Mother should get nerfed. Or Mainspring needs a buff. Far be it for me to say which it should be, but I put it to you that the Mother nerf seems more likely.

Edit: How about Ratchet loses tooled up and gains a character play that allows him to remotely blow Mainspring up?

We really need Tooled Up.

I miss old Overclocked.