Sign in to follow this  
dadajuice

Tension Deck

Wanted to know if I'm the only one concerned about the Tension Deck being some sort of "countdown". I understand the feeling of urgency they are striking for, but RE2 isn't "The Mercenaries". I love the concept of the Deck, but not the idea that if you run out of cards its game over. 

In RE I love to explore ... its feels like going for the shotgun (as seen in the demo) might burn a lot of tension cards plus spawning a great deal of foes. So ... exploration is like not really recommended which goes against what RE is. I really love the idea of rooms with random spawning enemies like the shotgun room, but I'm really not sold on the tension deck being a "counter".

Maybe its just the demo, but I hope most game sessions will have PLENTY of tension cards to be able to have some fun exploring the map.

I see the cause for concern and it led to a lot of discussion in the comments section about how to deal with it, and possibly how to house rule it, etc.

Fortunately with the inclusion of the typewriter and ink ribbons, it now has a means of refreshing itself. Also add the mechanic of managing your time and when to use a typewriter, etc. Do you back track & save/refresh the tension deck, or can you finish in # turns, etc. That combined with the tension deck not being used in some places like boss rooms, I think it's going to be ok. I'd also think bigger scenarios had larger tension decks, etc. Would be silly to have a 10 card deck for the streets leading up to the Police Station, and then also have a 10 card deck for inside the station, both floors, etc. Surely SFG have already thought about this... I hope, lol.  :P 

@SharkeyI am looking forward to the battle log after that session. Please consider sharing it!

@EggheadI think the initial demo scenario has 20 cards in the tension deck and the Yogscast demo had like 30ish? They mentioned adding more cards as the player count increases (which was not mentioned up until that 4 player demo!) so I think we can rest assured that they are still tweaking it.

For me personally I think I would replace 5 green cards with cards from the hard tension deck and shuffle it ;) that should be enough extra tension.

Yeah I'm sure SFG will come up with something that feel natural :) I really don't want to feel as I'm only at 3-4 rounds before dying haha What traumatized me in one of the demo video is that they were really hesitating to go in the room with the shotgun and they kept looking at the tension deck and it was kind of tight when they entered the William fight :P It surely add a feeling of urgency, but we are normally not rushed in classic RE, you can take your time exploring and taking out enemies as you wish (it will lower your rank tho haha).

EXCEPT for the final countdown ... I clearly see this tension deck countdown behavior for the final scenario when the self destruct has been activated :D That will be SICK haha

But well, I want the stress to be "if I enter this room there may be 4 dog zombies and I can die"  rather than "if I enter this room this will drain my tension cards too fast".

Really love the solution to drop a Mr. X when tension runs out hahahahah

Yeah I think the "add your own house rules" is pretty simple indeed and that's something nice with board games. It can easily be expanded as you wish :P But I think what we are striking for is a global solution from SFG that would work directly. Like I said, I'm sure SFG will come up with something great, I just wasn't a big fan of the overall "countdown" feel like if we were in Mercenaries mode :P And I'd really love to keep this nice urgency feeling for like the final scenario with the actual countdown before the explosion :D

You forgot the HARD MODE ... we've unlocked it so what is it : less clear tension crds more ennemies on the map, less ammo, monsters have more life points ? mmm
To do a such mode, as you previsouly said, SFG must have a solid base in the rules.