Sign in to follow this  
Silversmith

Engineered to perfection: Qualities of the Engineer's Guild

My thought here is to begin a dialogue regarding qualities of the Engineers.  It may be a one-off but I plan to come back to it regularly.  I could start a blog but I like the interactions with the community here on the forums.  I don't claim to be good at the game.  I just don't finish last. So the next post will be about a key quality of my team.  I'll use this post to link that one and any more I happen to write.

1. Engineers: Tough and Tender

2. Engineers: Control Team?

3.  Engineered to Perfection? Mascots

I didn’t write this original post but it is a good argument and links to my thoughts on the subject.

I started as an engineer player and gravitated towards the hunters. I do like the engineers and I feel they are a great guild. However I feel they are very reliant on the "setup" style of play, where a big part of your game is having a specific plan on winning points (hoist:burrow goal for example) and makes me feel they are not as effective as a reactive guild.

Your thoughts on this?

1 hour ago, Gorion said:

I started as an engineer player and gravitated towards the hunters. I do like the engineers and I feel they are a great guild. However I feel they are very reliant on the "setup" style of play, where a big part of your game is having a specific plan on winning points (hoist:burrow goal for example) and makes me feel they are not as effective as a reactive guild.

Your thoughts on this?

That is correct... to some degree ;) Yes, if you have a plan, the game can be quite easy for you. On the other hand, there are many ways in which you can react to various changes on the pitch. Hoist is extremely versatile - he can burrow for a goal, but also for a kill, to get a ball or to kill it. Pin Vice's legendary lets you score from unexpected angles and distances. And even when the ball is dead, you can just cast Deletion on Ratchett & Hoist and deal 12 DMG from up to 12" away.

I started playing the Cogs, because their firepower was quite impressive. I think now this title belongs to the Hunters. Engineers under Ballista are too slow to stay at distance and just keep blasting, while I think the Hunters can do that easily. Also, you don't want to get separated while playing Cogs.

We have KICK 4/6" on most our models and I would say that reliable and flexible ball play is the most accurate defining quality of the Cogs.

Engineers and Hunters both require setup.  You don't get the best out of either if someone messes with your order of activation.  If I can get my hands on Blacksmiths I will see how far to the extreme they can take "needs setup".  Lol.  I also think Engineers are quite adaptable.  Yes a quick three goals is our bread and butter play style. However, they can brawl a bit.  Not the best at it but still available if they get caught out.

The big strength of Hunters is their unique ability to split up. Jaecar, Zarola or Minx can wander on their own and still do their job just fine. The Cogs cannot do that. We need Momentous Inspiration, Tooled Up, Overclocked, True Replication and so on. Also, if you miscalculate your distances, you're gonna be very sad.

I agree with most of your points except the ranged damage the hunters put out cannot compare to the engineers. However on a model to model basis, the hunters have much stronger individual models and have access to decent 2 inch melee (which I personally believe is the strongest single factor a model can possess) the real area the hunters lack are good kicking models. When I switch from hunters to engineers, velocity feels like a powerhouse. The engineers also suffer in the TAC and playbook department I feel.

Typical really, when I play hunters I miss hoist and velocity and when I play engineers I miss Jaecar and Seenah.

Velocity has a nice playbook for a striker. Hoist has easy momentous ><, Colossus has early KD and SO. Ballista has mom 2>> on just 3 successes, which is great! Compound has T>. Just add Counter Charge to that ;) Most of the playbooks have 1-2 results I usually look for, and that works for me.

Oh! And Pin Vice only needs 1 DMG. With her buffs, thats enough to kill many players ;)

I'm not saying their playbooks are flat out terrible but I feel they are at their weakest when they are attacking and almost always need buffs and a stack of influence just to get decent damage. That's where I feel they are weak, that need to play a football game due to how much set up they need on the damage end.

Disclaimer up front though: I do or play the entire engineer roster, my crew are Ballista, Mother, Mainspring, Hoist, Velocity, Salvo and Ratchet.

32 minutes ago, Johan said:

Turn one?

Not a bad idea.  I can go through my normal T1 sequence for both captains and people who are actually good at the game can tell me what I do wrong.  Lol.  Also thinking team composition depending on which team I am facing. Though to be honest, I only have 1-2 flex players. 

15 minutes ago, Silversmith said:

Not a bad idea.  I can go through my normal T1 sequence for both captains and people who are actually good at the game can tell me what I do wrong.  Lol.  Also thinking team composition depending on which team I am facing. Though to be honest, I only have 1-2 flex players. 

There is no wrong, only different ways of doing things. Just put it all down and don't worry about what people will say.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:41 PM, Silversmith said:

So, what do I talk incessantly about next? Hmm...

I'd like to see an experienced eye look at how cogs play into other guilds.  Which of our players give other specific guilds issue, and vice versa.  What choices go through your head when drafting a lineup? 

I personally struggle in the "what the hell do I do into..." for most other guilds.  Insight is always appreciated!