Sign in to follow this  
Flohsors Redfield

Skills and abilities

I have been toying around with this idea for a while now and was trying to come up with a solution that is not very intrusive but could lead to some options during play for each of the characters without losing too much of their uniqueness.

Instead of having abilities attached to characters, provide a set of cards or cardboard sheets with skills printed on them. Each skill comes with three levels and costs one skillpoint (SP) to acquire. Leveling them up costs also 1SP per level up, but grants improved abilities. For starters you could say that each character starts with five SPs and successfully finishing a scenario in a campaign gives one additional SP. In order to avoid overpowered combinations it might make sense to provide certain abilities in a very limited quantity, so that only one (or two) player can choose it and also to increase the costs for leveling up abilities. Acquiring the initial ability could then cost 1SP while the first level up might cost 2SP and so on...

Some abilities cannot be learned by certain characters (for example Sherry can never pick a gun based ability), while other abilities are limited to a few characters only (for example Ada's Intrigue ability) to keep the unique feeling of each character.

I admit I took some inspiration from Descent which has a really nice simplified skill tree that still allows for some variety and distinct 'builds' and lets your characters 'grow' a little over time. And if you have played Resident Evil 6 or Revelations 2 you might remember this kind of leveling up of abilities or skills and assigning them to a limited amount of slots.

Here are some examples of abilities I had in mind:

• Agility (level 1 lets you roll one additional evade die when dodging, level 2 gives you one extra move action per turn, level 3 lets you automatically dodge Zombies without rolling for evasion, regardless of the number of zombies)
  • First Aid (level 1 lets you revive a fallen character in your space for +1HP and will cost you 4 actions, level 2 increases the healing to +2HP and costs 3 actions, level 3 increases healing to +3HP and costs 2 actions)
  • Handgun Expert (level 1 allows you to equip handguns, level 2 allows you to reroll one attack die per attack action, level 3 gives you the Steady Aim skill that allows you to spend two attack actions for a single fired bullet that gains an additional red die)
  • Herbal Lore (level 1 heals +1 HP when using green herbs, level 2 heals +1HP when using blue herbs, level 3 gives a red + green herb mix the same effect as a First Aid Spray)
  • Sneaky (level 1 lets you ignore corpse markers, level 2 makes Zombies unaware to your presence unless you cause noise, level 3 lets you reroll the threat die when entering yellow or amber rooms for the first time)
  • Survivor (level 1 increases your inventory by two slots, level 2 makes attacking with a knife at range 0 an automatic double hit, level 3 grants you the ability to heal +1HP but you have to skip your entire turn)

Those are all custom abilities for now... although I might have more later. Please let me know what you think and/or post your own suggestions :) 

Edited by Flohsors Redfield
spelling

You know, I'd rather have each skill belong to one character only. To keep them nice and characterful. Being able to mix & match works well with descent because all the characters are pretty much blank slates.

However what I would like to see is alt skills.

Maybe make the character boards double sided with one skill on each side to keep it simple and cost effective for steamforged games ?

Unfortunately I agree with ChubbyCop on this one, even though I like the skills you've imagined. It feels more thematic if they have skill unique to themselves. Regarding a progression system in form of experience.. That's something I have to think about whether I want or not! ☺

However, I do find a few of the character skills a bit lackluster, where some of them also have a one-time-use per senario. I would prefer passive and once-per-round skills. Perhaps each character could have two skills,  where one of them is once per senario? 

Hah, didnt mean to hurt your feelings flo, but yeah, I think that custom skills anybody can get would diminish the uniqueness of each character.

I also agree with Mist, the skills do sound useful, but at the same time a bit boring, like "we're playing it safe, we wouldnt want them to unbalance the game" I wish they had more impactful skills that would make every character unique. Like you've got this bad situation somewhere and one of the players suddenly says "hey. That sounds like a job for Robert Kendo !!!", and out he comes with the perfect skill to use for situation X.

instead we get "I can use that item now without fear of the zombie retaliating. Yeepee" or "I can choose what the next tension card we draw is... But I also have to discard cards so the clock is ticking faster. Yay"

As for leveling up, same thing, I'm not sure I like that, feels like something you'd add to diablo the board game but RE2 ? Eh. Take it or leave it.

@Mist @ChubbyCop but I wrote some of the skills would be unique to a certain character and that not every character can use every skill :( you also would get some form of progression that way. Resident Evil on the Playstation you can play over and over and memorize the item locations and best paths. You can practice shooting and evasion and get slowly better at it. In this boardgame you get nothing of that. No matter how many times you play you still roll the same dice with the same odds, absolutely bound by luck or doom... sigh.

Homebrew I know... I wish I had @HeroQuestFrance's patience and just make awesome boards myself :) 

I think that character evolution, much like it was in the original game, will just be driven by the evolution of your arsenal and loadout. I think that's brilliant.

Really not sold on a leveling system.

Heh, HQF is a mad man. An absolute mad man. The amount of custom stuff he made for Heroquest is legendary, awe inspiring even !

Leave the leveling system out, just make separate abilities.

One of my concerns is also that the game would not scale with leveling abilities... 

Regardless, we at least agree that some of the skills need rethinking @Mist @ChubbyCop

Claire's necromancer skill? Marvin's die for the group and come back next scenario skill? Absolutely breaking the immersion for me... give me replacements for those and I can live with a simplistic ability implementation.

Yeah, Claire's is a little weird. And for Marvin, I'd devinitely houserule that he cant come back next scenario if he sacrifices himself.

But I really do wish each character had two different skills to pick from, so maybe Marvin could have a non self destructive ability ? :P

I think I complained too much about Marvin's character in the past. My initial idea here was to give players a way to fix skills they don't like by themselves. It was never my intention to shove it into people's faces ;) 

@ChubbyCop Two abilities to choose from would be a great first step into the right direction! And as you suggested before, just print each of them on one of the character sheet's sides.

Heh, nah, that's fine. I liked Revelations 2 quite a bit. I'm not really into these "raid" or "mercenary" modes personnally. I like the narrative adventures. The rest is worthless to me :)

I don't know if I'm hating on the idea of a character changing throughout gameplay. Honestly some of my best tabletop experiences involve leveling a character up in a campaign setting over multiple sessions. I'm also hoping that SFG creates a good campaign. So, I wouldn't throw out Floshers' idea outright. Perhaps each character's skill would get just a little better as the campaign progresses? I DO agree with @ChubbyCop that the video game is driven by a better weapon loadout (not player stats) so I'm not sure where that leaves us. 

Haha, @ChubbyCop you don't play video games with other people? I must be a weirdo because I'm always playing video games online and play boardgames solo whenever I can :P. Scythe and Viticulture have a good automa system! There are other good solo board games too. (I'm poking fun if you can't tell). 

Well, I can play multiplayer vidya, but, like, local. With a buncha friends in the same room. Some LAN-ning, or something like splitscreen mario kart. When I'm playing a videogame, I usually play for the story so I dont want to hear some 12 years old breaking my sweet immersion by yelling racial slurs in my ears, yknow ?

I do play a few board games solo. Shadows of Brimstone is so huge and sprawly that carrying it at my friends' is pretty rare.

(man Viticulture sounds neat as heck but I just bought Champions of Midgard and I'm not sure I need another worker placement game so soon. Oh and the essential edition vs tuscany vs whatever the hell confuses the hell out of me)

Back on track now haha. There's something of not I mentionned to Flohsors in a private message : I own tons of dungeon crawls (it's probably my favorite genre) so maybe having one without a level up system would be a breath of fresh air "for me".

@ChubbyCop I can repeat it : make the skills and leveling optional ;) The only way for me to comprehend your aversion is because you think this stuff would take away from SFG developing the game in more important areas .. ? They have a deadline after all...

@P-Gatt The weapon loadout is how the characters improve, that is true. But nothing in this game reflects your increasing skill at playing it. I am pretty sure most people's first attempt at any Resident Evil game was disastrous (I know mine was) but as you keep starting over you learn the layout, know when to run and when to gun... all that is pure luck based in the board game. Remove the leveling up, just let players pick different skills for their characters in the beginning and their tactics will change.

I will just playtest it on my own and share the results at one point. And whoever cares is welcome to join and participate :D 

@Flohsors Redfield

The problem with "optional rules" is that, in development, you have to balance the game for multiple playstyles then. And in a boardgame that usually results in a cluster*beep* of rule exceptions and "if you are playing with this module this happens if you arent playing with this module X and Y happens" and this scenario was designed around the idea of your characters doing this and that"... Do you see where I'm coming from with this ?

@ChubbyCopand I always thought that optional rules were kind of a "try at your own risk" kind of thing :) 

Also I don't see how these skill rules could break the game unless the heroes become too powerful later in the game. I think I get where you are coming from... but still, I don't see any risks here beyond the aforementioned one.

Edited by Flohsors Redfield
added more words

Maybe I will be on Flohsors' side. .. I am no a guy prefer a high weight board game but for now this game looks too simple for me.:P

I think Flohsors just wanna introduce a variable player ability mechanic for this game. I'm agree with him on this point, but I'm agree with Chubby's point as well cuz it's a weird to let characters level up and change their abilities, I mean in RE theme. That's why I had another post to discuss the extra action cards (I know they are from RE 5/6, but still RE aren't they? :)) ---- to add replay-ability and deduct randomness. 

And I like the idea of changing /adding  ability when go scenarios further. At least it's better than now ---- only one fixed ability for each character. :ph34r:

5 hours ago, Lux Liu said:

Maybe I will be on Flohsors' side. .. I am no a guy prefer a high weight board game but for now this game looks too simple for me.:P

I think Flohsors just wanna introduce a variable player ability mechanic for this game. I'm agree with him on this point, but I'm agree with Chubby's point as well cuz it's a weird to let characters level up and change their abilities, I mean in RE theme. That's why I had another post to discuss the extra action cards (I know they are from RE 5/6, but still RE aren't they? :)) ---- to add replay-ability and deduct randomness. 

And I like the idea of changing /adding  ability when go scenarios further. At least it's better than now ---- only one fixed ability for each character. :ph34r:

Yes that was my idea! Thanks a lot for the support ;) 

I think the "level up" side of this game is turning around the way you handle your gear, ammos, health items you keep in the box for later, to let this weapon for the other players or not in respect of RE2 video game.
It's not in some hours (one night in the game) you acquire super powers, make 3 side kicks now on the poor zombies, dodge the fast tongue of the licker and rip his head off in few second with the knife because your reach the 7 sense and woke up to the knight killer ability spirit ...

Well naaaaaw

Once again, I repeat myself (I'm getting older and wize), but each character sheet come with one different ability that seems to be especially made for the scenarios which are planed. But once we'll get the game may be we'll get some surprises, may be not. If not, we'll see how to improve this properly.
Remember also something : the game is only available in english. It reaches right now the english people & americans and few europeans.
If they completely miss and deliver a cheated game, no one will want it even in their own language.