Sign in to follow this  
Lux Liu

How to decrease the randomness in RE game?

A lot of people who watched the play through said there are too much randomness in this game. The core rule is just roll dice to doge or to shoot. Only these 2 actions you can do.

I have to admit they are right. Even in different scenarios maybe we will have different mechanic but no body knows now. I have a new idea for this:

Add one new type of cards: action cards/tactic cards: evade, kick, rush, squat... and players can get them when they search, and every one only can keep limited action cards (3?)

For example: when you need roll dice to doge zombie, you can choose use evade card or just your luck to roll the dice. When you have no ammo, if you have kick card, you can play it (within 1 space) to push a zombie  like you roll a 1-hit dice. 

So when player search from cards deck,  if we separate action cards from item deck, they have to choose which type they wanna draw. This would bring more thinking during play. And more , some characters may have some abilities can boost these cards which can bring more fun. 

@Lux Liu that is an interesting idea. But how about instead of drawing these during the game everyone gets three random cards at the beginning of the scenarios that they can use. In campaign mode you could refresh these cards in each scenario or let players draw five at the beginning and they need to consider carefully when to use them.

Yeah, I thought of it and yes, we can do that, the different scenario has different start action cards quantity. 

I just worry about how extra work SFG need to do. If it's too much means maybe the shipping dates would be delayed. lol

I'm not a huge fan of having an additional deck for such actions and those actions are not really close to the original game experience, but more close to the later installments such as RE5 and RE6 ... mostly RE6 where can literally slide in zombie groups and kick the hell out of them haha And that would also change a lot the core game with a new set of cards and rules.

What I'd like is a new rule system where dodging a zombie is more forgiving : 

1. If you miss your dodge, you are not pushed back to your initial tile, you get to pass the zombie but that a hit of damage;
  2. If you miss, there could be an additional dice roll to check if you push the zombie back or if you managed to knock him over (prevent its next reaction phase).

I think adding something that simple would greatly improve the dodging idea in the game and be more faithful to the original game where dodging enemies wasn't THAT hard and when you got bitten you knew you would push the zombie away and sometimes it fell over.

+1 @dadajuice. I think your new rule system for dodging is in line with how your character interacts with zombies in the game. Plus it'll make it less annoying and grindy (i.e. your actions become more meaningful).

The idea to have some sort of stat system is nice, but aside from later games where you could upgrade character and weapon "stats", its not something that ultimately feel like the original RE2 game. 

But, adding a simple solution (pretty basic rules of passing zombies when dodging and pushing them away) that works in the current game setup seems more possible than going with an RPG style solution which would greatly change everything. Because, it would not make sense to have a solo stat for dodging and nothing for health, some sort of defense, speed, and so on and so on like so many RPG style games.

You can simply scan the character sheet, keep the main ability SFG gave to the character, and add :

Main stats :

- Strenght
- Dexterity
- Constitution
- Intelligence
- Speed (action points)

Skills :

- Investigation
- Medecine
- Survival
- Perception

On a D10 or 20. 

@HeroQuestFrancethat's a very classic approach. Did you play Elder Sign before? There characters' stats go as high as five and start at as low as one. The number tells you how many D6 you roll when performing a check or test. A 5 or 6 is usually a success, so rolling five D6 gives you a really high chance to pass. Some items will buff certain stats while some monsters or injuries will debuff you (which means you roll even more or less dice... but always at least one!) Needless to say I like that system a lot.