Sign in to follow this  
Lickerbait

Puzzle Ideas

To those interested in the puzzle aspects of Resident Evil, does anyone have any ideas of implementing puzzles onto the board game?

So I had an idea. If there are Item As and Item Bs in the game to represent ammo, keys, weapons etc., what if Item Cs represented Files and puzzle pieces. 

Picking up these files and pieces gets you to roll the 6 sided dice. Each puzzle has 6 ways to solve it, so you choose the variant you rolled from a puzzle deck. Unfortunately I don't have an example to thing of yet but I'll update this as ideas/suggestions come to light. 

Edited by Lickerbait
Ideas

@Lickerbait I want to be honest with you, I have no idea how to properly transfer puzzles from RE2 to the boardgame. I don't think a lot of people want to have any more fetch quests besides the usual fetch-key-and-unlock-door mechanic that is already there.

But if this can't be avoided I would assume that one mission will see the group split up and perhaps utilize the item boxes to quickly transfer key items between the two sub groups and locations. Another idea could be to make a character stuck in a certain location, having to roll multiple double hits with a blue die to open or deactivate something. At the same time some zombies/cerberus/lickers will spawn and the rest of the group has to protect the puzzle solving player...

Mansions of Madness shows ways of how to implement puzzles, but the characters in that game have skills that benefit or hamper the solution. I believe SFG don't want to overcomplicate the game by introducing such mechanics now (they also don't feel very Resident Evil'ish to me). Maybe puzzles require steps to solve and each action allows you to do one such step?

So one solution for puzzles I had really simplifies the process...

• A: In the Item Deck there are three cards... lets say the Red Gem, the Blue Gem and the Statue card... 
  • ...if you manage to draw all three cards you are awarded a predetermined prize; ammo, weapon, key, etc.
  • B: A token on the board representing the statue, and you have to have both Gem cards in your inventory to access the token...
  • ...and then you are awarded a predetermined prize; ammo, weapon, key, etc.

This addresses puzzles, places relevant items in your inventory, and doesn't clutter up the board, and should alleviate some backtracking.

Just a thought...

@Egghead that reminds me of the optional room with a shotgun in the demo play. No one will force you to do it, but if you have the time to spare, you might end up with a bonus item. Nice!

(mind you, the shotgun shouldn't be optional ~ going without that is like signing your death warrant)

Just now, Flohsors Redfield said:

@Egghead that reminds me of the optional room with a shotgun in the demo play. No one will force you to do it, but if you have the time to spare, you might end up with a bonus item. Nice!

(mind you, the shotgun shouldn't be optional ~ going without that is like signing your death warrant)

Yeah, my thinking is more item tokens on the board, maybe you solve a puzzle, maybe you don't, just like in the game. But if you do... you get something extra, and it's all item tokens and cards in the item deck... little to no backtracking so you don't tick down the Tension Deck in the backtracking process, and all SFG has to do is make some more Item Deck Cards and print more item tokens...

Lol, I hope they are listening, ha ha ha....

5 hours ago, Egghead said:

So one solution for puzzles I had really simplifies the process...

• A: In the Item Deck there are three cards... lets say the Red Gem, the Blue Gem and the Statue card... 
  • ...if you manage to draw all three cards you are awarded a predetermined prize; ammo, weapon, key, etc.
  • B: A token on the board representing the statue, and you have to have both Gem cards in your inventory to access the token...
  • ...and then you are awarded a predetermined prize; ammo, weapon, key, etc.

This addresses puzzles, places relevant items in your inventory, and doesn't clutter up the board, and should alleviate some backtracking.

Just a thought...

I like the idea of rewards after solving the puzzles. And I prefer plan B cuz that means players have to spend more time on moving which will bring more danger.

11 hours ago, Lickerbait said:

To those interested in the puzzle aspects of Resident Evil, does anyone have any ideas of implementing puzzles onto the board game?

So I had an idea. If there are Item As and Item Bs in the game to represent ammo, keys, weapons etc., what if Item Cs represented Files and puzzle pieces. 

Picking up these files and pieces gets you to roll the 6 sided dice. Each puzzle has 6 ways to solve it, so you choose the variant you rolled from a puzzle deck. Unfortunately I don't have an example to thing of yet but I'll update this as ideas/suggestions come to light. 

I have similar ideas about different deck of items, following is from my comment on KS:

In RE video games, most of the puzzles are put something into a hole or somewhere. So, this “something” is from another room, one hidden place or after you kill a monster. We can implement them on the board game: 
1. Another room: we have got this implemented now. Just put some items (keys, gems …) as one of the tokens faced down on one tile. 
2. Hidden place: maybe we can put the item in the deck of items? Or Maybe we can separate items into 2 decks:one is for consumable items : ammo, herbs and so on, another is for weapons, puzzle items needed ...? 
3. Killing a monster: this can be fixed in the scenario, or just draw 2 -3 cards from item deck after we kill a monster? 
4. We also can put some box or heavy weight tokens on the tile, we can use “push” action to push it into a hole/somewhere to trigger a door open or something like that. Of course, this “Push” action need consume 2 actions points? 
All above ideas can be implemented in the board game. Only one thing: how to sort the order of the items seeking in one scenario, this part need to be designed and tested a lot. And I think this will increase the setting time somehow. 
Anyway, I guess these ideas would match the original RE video game’s feeling: you have to optimize your order to bring an item, and later you find the key items, more dangerous you got (cuz the limited tension deck and more and more monsters spawn). 

Puzzles in the Board Game

Collecting various items only to insert unto a statue or mantle

All this can be easily implemented like collecting keys, we will use Item Tokens

The item tokens are the same as Item A/B decks
The tokens when picked up draw from the Item Deck C

The Puzzle Room will appear on the scenario instructions and the color is light purple

In this room, the Tension phase pauses and players will no longer have to draw from it unless Zombies or any other enemy enter the same room/tiles

The player can push or pull statues or bookshelves but will cost 1 action point

Statues will be square shaped Tokens like corpses. In some cases the player will insert the Gem Items into it to open a secret door/path or to receive an Item/Weapon that does not draw from the deck but rather from a discard pile of cards used like Ammo/Herbs

Bookshelves will be Tokens like the Door Tokens, pushed around to unlock a path

If we do get Statues or Bookshelves, we could get 3D models for the Terrain pack

I think the one thing we collectively need to be careful of is too big of a change. The focus of the game is not puzzles... the focus is a one or two objective scenario. There are people who could care less about puzzles, so puzzles shouldn't interfere with basic game play or we risk irritating the people who are not focused on puzzles. Asking SFG to rework every scenario they have already designed to include an Item Deck C, extra cardboard tokens, terrain miniatures, puzzle markers and so on is a sure fire way to get them to scrap the puzzle concept entirely.

The more easily and simple the mechanics are, the easier it is to implement and the less bearing it will have on the main portion of the game, especially the parts they have mostly completed. One of the simplest ways to accomplish this with the least amount of impact is:

• No change to how the tension deck works
  • No changes made to the scenario sheets
  • No Item Deck C
  • No extra cardboard tokens
  • Add extra cards to the existing Item Decks
  • Add tiny icons on the game board to indicate where puzzles are.

This could be implemented by simply adding additional cards to the two existing Item Decks, and printing an icon like a small white puzzle piece directly on the game board itself. (Similar to the tiny Umbrella symbols that indicate where zombies spawn.) 

Some examples are:

1: Short scenario: 1 gem into socket, 1 gear into machine, 1 limb to a statue, etc.

• Players can collect 1 puzzle items from the A deck
  • The item must go to the square with the white puzzle icon printed on the board.
  • Success means drawing a card from Item Deck A.

2: Medium scenario: 2 gems into sockets, 2 crests on to a mantle, 2 keys to a double lockbox, etc.

• Players can collect 2 puzzle items from the A/B Item Decks.
  • The items must both go to the square with the white puzzle icon printed on the board.
  • Success means drawing a card (or two) from Item Deck A. (maybe one from A & one from B.)

3: Large scenario: 3 keys to a triple lockbox, 3 body parts returned to a statue, 3 parts to repair a crest symbol, etc

• Players can collect 3 puzzle items from the A/B Item Decks.
  • The item must all go to the square with the white puzzle icon printed on the board.
  • Success means drawing a card (or two )from Item Deck B.

4: Extra Large or complex scenario: 4 chess pieces to the chess board, 4 keys to a special chest, 4 colored lenses to a prism, etc.

• Players can collect 4 puzzle items from the A/B Item Decks.
  • The item must go to the square(s) with the white puzzle icon printed on the board.
  • Success means drawing two cards from Item Deck B.

That seems to be the easiest method to get puzzles in the game, not require a ton of rework on SFG's part, keep the primary focus of the game on the scenario but still allow players to solve puzzles, while not affecting scenarios or the Tension Deck, etc.

As for 'flavor' it can be printed on the cards: "After moving a dusty old book case you found a Ruby crested gold key shining in the darkness. What could it go to? Hmmmm, I wonder..." and now you've essentially created a narrative that requires no extra physical pieces on the board to clutter up game play.

Players should have the option to tackle these challenges if they want, but they should also be able to discard the items, or place them into Item Boxes.

Some puzzle element cards 'could' be found after defeating a mini-boss or villain NPC ( Brad, Marvin, Irons, W. Birkin, etc. )

There may still be some backtracking involved, and you may find two puzzle elements, pass the white puzzle piece icon on the board, and later find the third element and have to decide whether going back is worth the reward or not. This streamlined solution keeps the board clear of clutter, requires the least amount of additional pieces added to the game, and allows player the option to do them or skip them. The only true physical additions are the extra Item Deck cards with the necessary puzzle solution items, and some extra icons printed on the board.

Yes, this is just my two cents, but having read almost every related post dealing with puzzles here, in the KS comments section and on the FB group page I am very confident that this solution offers originality, practical rewards, less clutter on the board, and the least amount of rework for SFG. 

(Can you tell I've spent QUITE a bit of time fleshing this all out in my head and on paper, lol?)

16 minutes ago, P-Gatt said:

Not sure if you saw this new post on BGG. Martin got a chance to play a demo and caught a glimpse of the puzzle ideas. To be honest, I'm not too thrilled by what they came up with if Martin's post is accurate.  The pressure plate idea is kind of cool and sort of follows the game a bit. 

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1871459/if-you-demo-essen-please-let-us-know

Here's his post just in case you can't follow the link.

I went to their booth today to get some answers. I told the demo-guy that I have seen the tutorial beeing played and thus I have some additional questions. Firstly I asked about the other missions in the campaign and if they feel the samey (basically get to the door fast). He told me that the other missions will have buzzles to be solved. So I asked for him to give me an example of the buzzle and how it is implemented to the game. He gave me an example of the stone statue buzzle, where you have to turn the statue. Turning the statue is implemented in such away that the statue is represented by three cards which are shuffled and put face down. And then the player spends an action to pick a card. In order to turn the statue the player has to pick a card which has a key symbol on it. So basically you just pick cards randomly until you find the key card. In my mind this is not a buzzle. Other example was a memory game where the player has to find two identical cards among other cards. I suggested that they should consider looking at the buzzles in Mansions of Madness (second edition). He replied to this that the buzzles cant be too difficult or else the intended audience will not like the game. This made me think who this audience is? Also he gave me example of other mission goal. For example in some missions two of the players have to open the final door together. And in some missions there will be pressure plates where the players have to stand on in order to open the main door. All in all I think this game will not be the game I thought it will be. This game honestly is not worth the attention. They have no idea what they are doing.

12 hours ago, P-Gatt said:

Not sure if you saw this new post on BGG. Martin got a chance to play a demo and caught a glimpse of the puzzle ideas. To be honest, I'm not too thrilled by what they came up with if Martin's post is accurate.  The pressure plate idea is kind of cool and sort of follows the game a bit. 

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1871459/if-you-demo-essen-please-let-us-know

I agree, the pressure plate idea is interesting (I pointed that out previously, didn't I? :D) But randomly drawing cards for a key to solve a puzzle? More random luck? Seriously SFG please reduce the amount of RNG... I like that Martin mentioned the Mansions puzzles, those are really well implemented... they are too complex? I believe a child can solve them... and even if you don't get the hang of them, you can always brute-force them which would then simply require more actions. 

Disappointing for now. I think those who wanna make this game easier would like a monopoly of RE theme.. so sad.  SFG always focus the light users. Please, make this game more complex and it's too simple now, really like a monopoly game (no offense). I feel not good : ( Board game's quality depends on the rule and strategy. I know RE is just a simple dungeon crawler game but even so it's too simple and many randomness right now.

Do not judge something that doesn't exist yet Lux Liu !
Just wait since demos were different in 2 months and are not representative at all of the final product.
Steamforged Games realized there is hard work to do. Just keep faith and hold on.

Puzzles are easy to do and remember that there are cards for the specific items (jewels etc) the players have to find by searching everywhere.
It's also easy to understand that :
1 action point to push an item (3D or a cardboard token) to a specific location
1 action point to activate/desactivate an electric/informatic panel
1 action point to check / combine items
etc

More, as I previously said, they can also include some basic stats (dexterity, speed, intelligence etc) to get more interesting choice between characters and get more interesting interactivity with the puzzles.