Adding a single additional mark is kind of a big deal. For the handgun it'd be fine but the knife would suddenly get a 50% chance to do 1 damage. We don't even know how many other weapons look, they might get too strong as well. 

One solution would be if each weapon had an effect beyond the dice rolls, an example would be that 3 successive hits with the handgun grants a free push.

1 hour ago, Mist said:

Adding a single additional mark is kind of a big deal. For the handgun it'd be fine but the knife would suddenly get a 50% chance to do 1 damage. We don't even know how many other weapons look, they might get too strong as well. 

One solution would be if each weapon had an effect beyond the dice rolls, an example would be that 3 successive hits with the handgun grants a free push.

Yes true, but you can counter that by increasing the risk. Make the knife a range 0 weapon :)

Agreed, knife would and should be at Range 0 with one more hit side added to the die. HOWEVER, I can see the problem arising of unable to knife large bosses that take up entire squares.

To retain that 1/3 odd of a 1 damage hit though, if the red die were to get 1 more double-hit side then the Knife could be changed to rolling 1 red die, do 1 damage only on a double-hit roll.

I’ve been thinking it over this morning, and came to the conclusion that a 3rd die color could be useful for this game. The odds being:

-Blue (mostly for dodging and knife attack): 4 blanks, 2 single hit

-Green (average weapons): 3 blanks. 2 single hit, 1 double hit

-Red (special weapons): 2 blank, 2 single hit, 2 double hit

Love that umbrella case :o As for the life I like it how it is right now with the green to red slider. Feels a lot like the game to me. We just need it to be less intense to fight or evade a zombie in my opinion since in the game its really not a big deal. Lickers are another thing :P

• We need that 3 bullets automatically push back 1 square the zombie even on complete miss as @P-Gatt mention.
  • We need some sort of knock over mechanic.
  • We need more chance to evade

The thing is that evasion makes automatic dommage which make sense since its supposed to be like "you go bit on the way", but they can also react afterward. Maybe after a bite we could have another dice roll to knock him over ? Like that it wouldn't feel like that miss dodge was a complete mess and waste haha Maybe it has been told before in the kickstarter comments :P There's like 20000 comments haha

If SFG can come up with something it would be amazing. 

I'm so psyched for this game, so I can't help thinking about it almost all the time. So I'd like to share what's been on my mind so far.

Most of the time I've been thinking of the combat mechanics combined with the handgun. To avoid HP stacking on zombies, SFG have cleverly designed the pistol to have a 1/6 chance to kill a zombie on a fired shot. I believe 6 is the median health of the zombies in RE 2, where their hp could differ from 4 hp to 8 hp. Statistically a 'double hit' should appear within 6 rolls of a die, I.E a zombie should be killed within 6 shots. Falls in line pretty well with the game at first glance, however statistics being statistics, there is still the chance of firing more than 6 rounds into a zombie without killing it. Then again, if a zombie could have 8 hp in RE 2, this interpretation isn't so far off (I.E rolling up to 8 dice to score a kill).

So what's the problem?

An early kill on a zombie, say a first or a second roll of the die that presents damage could be thought of as a critical hit from the later RE installments. However, there is also a slight chance that a zombie can endure for more than 8 hits. It gets even worse if you fight multiple zombies and keep rolling bad. The uncertainty of the zombies (and later on zombie dogs as well) hp can be both problematic and tedious due to bad luck. This is what people have been expressing concerns about the most. 

In the original game you knew that killing a zombie wouldn't be a problem if you had the ammo, despite the varying health. The same thing can't be said here. It's a board game after all so there is bound to be some differences between this and the original. My point however is that there has to be more certainty among the uncertainty in the board game.

So what suggestions are there?

Adding a hit mark on the dice would certainly be a good start. I like the idea of combining pushes to either a knockdown or 1+ damage. @Sharkey's idea of adding one additional type of die is definitely the way to go if you ask me.

As I mentioned before, certain effects could be added to weapons. One example would be like many of you suggested, 3 shots gives a guaranteed  push. Another example of an effect would be the shotgun headshot, where you could add a die to the pool if the zombie (any monster maybe?) is in the same space as you. It could also be +2 automatic damage, who misses with a shotgun up front? ;) With these effects you can at least do some planning that doesn't get affected by the die rolls.

Concerning the handgun and the shot calling, I definitely think that you should roll one die for each shot up to three times instead of rolling 3 dice at the same time. It is logical that you stop firing when the enemy dies and it also gives you a reason to fire less than 3 shots. As it is now, there is no incentive what so ever to fire less than 3 shots, you need every chance you can to do something with the handgun. 3 simultaneous thrown dice should instead go to the custom pistol and its burst mode.

To mitigate these changes, more zombies can always be added to the board. The zombies could also have their hp bumped up to 2 hp, but I understand that many aren't too keen on this.

Lastly, I recently read that someone suggested adding "half-mark" faces to the dice. These "half-marks" could have the special attribute that they can always be combined with other half-marks. By this standard a typical blue die would have the following faces: 1 single, 1 double, half, half, half/blank, blank. This way, weapons can still preserve their ability to stack marks (I believe the bowgun had this ability, meaning that if you rolled 2 single marks, they could be combined to a double mark). I liked this idea a lot, because that gives the feel of a damage build up on the enemy and differentiates the die and gameplay!

Yeah that would be very nice to be able to shoot one bullet at a time ... like in the game where ammo conservation is victory, here the game highly suggest that we waste 3 bullets straight up to have a slight chance to kill a zombie.

I like what I read on the combat system, many things that could help out making the combat more interesting and more forgiving, but I'd really love to have an updated dodging mechanic. In the game dodging is about everything, I can easily get to the police station without any damage and with a minimum wasting of bullets. Dodging in the RE series is extremely important and its not entirely up to luck. I know this might be incredibly difficult to put into a board game, but my suggestion is to at least push the zombie when you get hit and have a certain percentage of knock over (maybe a dice roll) which could prevent its reaction phrase.

I also don't like the idea that you get back to your initial tile. When I get bit by a zombie in the game I push them away and I go forward. I'm not staying in front of him waiting for another bite :rolleyes:

Because, sometimes, getting hit by a zombie in the original game is the way to go ... you might have 1 first aid spray, 3 herbs in your inventory and sadly no more ammo and there a group of zombies. You go straight in and when they stop bitting you you can push them all away and pass.

I'd really love this sort of thinking in the game when I feel I can dodge zombies and if they attack me its not a complete waste and I can still escape while taking in exchange some damage.

19 hours ago, Sharkey said:

I’ve been thinking it over this morning, and came to the conclusion that a 3rd die color could be useful for this game. The odds being:

-Blue (mostly for dodging and knife attack): 4 blanks, 2 single hit

-Green (average weapons): 3 blanks. 2 single hit, 1 double hit

This topic has been brought up in quite a few places and I've decided I am on board and agree with the motion to add a third color of dice. My only issue on this is purely based on my background as a designer and the "form over function" theory...

-Green (dodging, evading and melee attacks): 4 blanks, 2 single hit

-Blue (average weapons): 3 blanks. 2 single hit, 1 double hit

I think this solution accomplishes a few things:

• Allows SFG to make minimal changes to the system they have already designed.
  • Meets the general consensus of the community that evading should have its own dice set
  • Mimics the video game's herb progression too (as per April C)

Just my two cents... now to dodge whatever Sharkey just threw at me, lol.

The problem with the dices is that no one noticed the effect of the weapons were missing.
What is killing me is that they completely failed with the main weapon they showed us :

Example :
handgun = 1 bullet = zombie advances if it's not killed or pushed back = super dangerous
modified handgun = up to 3 bullets at the same time =  the zombie advances. = less dangerous more probabilities to kill.
The demos were based on the modified handgun ... strange isn't it ?

I already see you crying : IMPOSSIBLE TO MAKE IT WITH THE HANDGUN 1 blue dice probability blah blah blah ... okay keep this in mind few minutes I continue to explain where is the REAL problem.

Yeah, you probably doubt now about my sanity but yeah that's true you can spread it around the world : I like the idea to roll 3 blue dices and to push back the zombie with one hit, a double hit kill him and each time he's hit he steps back.

What I saw in the demos is the modified handgun once again and I didn't take in count the random blah blah blah ... why ?
Because the real problem  is ..... tadatatatatatatatatatam ...... the lack of the squares !

- Because miniatures are huge (32 mm) the board sections we saw are "tiny" with probably square between 4/5 cm for the size.
- Because the board sections should have more squares to let the player decide to run or to fight with the weapons he has.
- Because we need zombie hordes to be in RE2
- Because you can fire on the zombies from far away and see what happens when they slowly walk toward you.
- Because there's a range to handle ! For instance the shotgun is a devastating "head exploder".

And each weapon comes with different effects excepted that during the campaign there is a huge error on the handgun which is the modified handgun :

Handgun.png?format=1000w

There is no special effect on each card they showed us too, example with the shotgun :
Shotgun.png?format=1000w

So let's wait ... (hope Sherwin reads this)

I noticed this in a video I watched today. The player cards show 3 weapons the player can use. Since there are a lot of weapons in this game I think it would be better to show the weapons you can’t use. Just my suggestion. 

As I just said in another topic, the problem is quickly solved.

Handgun = 1 blue die. (very low chances to defend yourself against hordes)
Modified handgun = 3 blue dices (more chances but more ammo wasted)

I don't like at all Leon's ability.

As a cop he should have the right to reroll one die when he fires with any weapon giving more sense.
Claire would heal better the wounds for herself and others.
While Sherry can reroll her escape die to pass zombies
Ada can better fight in hand to hand combat etc.

Your character can pass a zombie on a sqaure : roll 1 blue die.

- no hit = okay
- 1 hit you have to stop on the zombie square, you take one damage and can use your remaining action points to fight it
- 2 hits or a double hit or more :  you have to stop on the zombie squares, you take one damage and cannot use you remaining action points.
(be prepared to be devoured)

You roll one more die for each additional zombie on the square you try to pass. (up to 3 I guess according to the square size)