Lumpyseven

When to pick Shark or Corsair

I can only speak from a German meta point of view and we are a little strange :-)

When I play fish or play against fish I almost always see this:

Shark, Tentacles, Siren1, Sakana, Greyscales, X

X can be Jac, Angel, sometimes Hag.

Corsair, Tentacles, Sakana, Siren1, X, Y

X and Y can be A+G, Jac, Greyscales, Kraken, Hag. Mostly A+G and Hag.

So I'd say Sakana and Siren1 are seen basically always.

3 hours ago, Lumpyseven said:

This is great stuff, thanks for everyone's responses! I guess this leads on to the next natural step - when playing Shark and Corsair, are there any players that find a place in both captains sixes most of the time? 

Second question - which players are almost always ONLY played with 1 of the captains, and not the other?

I run Sakana and oSiren with both just about every game. Sakana is just insanely self-sufficient and dynamic, so he can fill a variety of roles (striker, set up, momentum generation) while I don't really like vSiren much with her changes and Seduction is still huge even with the nerf. Mostly I run Tentacles with Corsair to help with ball control and gang ups in fights, but I've been playing around with Salt more and more recently with Shark even though I think the octopus is generally stronger. Hag and Greyscales also work with both, but not necessarily in every match up. Hag gets left behind by Shark's team super easily, but can really facilitate the early game while Greyscales for me is just a solid general model that you never really have to feel bad about bringing.

I've run Kraken with Shark and he works as a sweeper or lead blocker to clear annoying models off of your goal scorers, but his lack of speed and 1 influence generation makes him a niche pick who is generally more suited to play with Corsair. I also really like Gutter with Corsair as another 2" melee model with access to KD and plenty of damage and tankiness with the right set up. I've been playing around with Angel with both, but I think she's generally more useful with Shark since Corsair frequently likes to just control the ball until he's ready to shoot a goal to win the game. I don't play with Jac all that often, but when I do, I run him with Shark since he can clear out bunch enemies, which slows down fighting teams like Brewers, Farmers, and Fish by forcing them to set up their scrum fresh an extra time or two every game.

So to sum up:

Primarily with Shark: Salt (still need to test with Corsair), Angel (definitely not every game), Jac (don't run him much with either, but I think he's slightly better here)

Primarily with Corsair: Kraken, Gutter, Tentacles, vSiren (if I was going to play her)

With both: Sakana, oSiren, Greyscales, Hag

5 hours ago, Banjulhu said:

...personally I dont think Dread Gaze alone is enough.

If you're running Corsair (3/1), Kraken (3/0) and A&G (3/0) then I feel like Dead Gaze is still absolutely worth it. At least, I still bring Siren2 in most of my matches. She's also got a ton of movement and a decent kick, so you could use her as a goal threat in a pinch.

I guess I'm not sure why people love Sakana so much more than Greyscales in these lineups.  If you run Shark, you should run both imo.  If you run Corsair though, you probably only have room for 1. It seems like against low armor units I'd want to run greyscales.  Against high armor, Sakana.  They both have very good mobility and shooting in their own styles.  Neither can damage very well.  Sakana can throw cover I guess for Corsair? Is that why he's so much better with Corsair?  I'd play either of them on a wing. 

1 hour ago, Sunny Ravencourt said:

If you run Shark, you should run both imo.  If you run Corsair though, you probably only have room for 1. It seems like against low armor units I'd want to run greyscales.  Against high armor, Sakana. 

Yep... this is generally my current lineup strategy, depending on my captain.

Sakana can get stuck in and put down, albeit small, momentous damage as well as providing the team a decent goal scoring piece with Corsair.

I think with Shark however the momentous damage and scrumming down is not a requirement and Shark himself provides a much stronger goal threat that Sakana could.

I'm also a sucker for JAC because he can cover the backfield alone and move Salt so I tend to go for Shark, Salt, Greyscales, Siren1, Jac and X, and at the moment X is Hag because of the out of activation dodges she provides the rest of the team.

Jac is the man. Tough hide and Trident Tested is all he needs. A playbook that isn't a crapsicle would be nice but isn't totally necessary. Ramming speed is a sweet bonus to punish the fools on the edge of the board.

Sakana is the man because if there is any cover the man is an 18" goal threat with 2 influence (which includes the 1inf to shoot.)

Siren2 is the man because dread gaze is absolutely worth it if you bring the goon squad and want to layeth the smackdown.

Kraken is not the man.

On 10/23/2017 at 12:50 PM, GoonieLaw said:

Having never played Fish until my current escalation league, I don't see a problem with Shark (the nerf meant nothing to me as it happened before I played the Team).  I absolutely love fielding Shark into a 1 inch melee heavy team...touch me if you can.  He can reliable grab the ball off any model who only has 1" melee and then bounce away at his leisure.  I've found Corsair quite capable into most teams, he just needs a reliable winger or two that can grab the ball and score....but Shark is my go to guy.

This is so true. I ran Shark into Theron led Hunters last night, and he did fantastic. I lost the game 4-12, but I consider it a success...because I had a chance, and missed a snap shot with Greyscales, needing to roll only two 3's, I rolled a 3 and two 1's.   I truly felt that missing the snap shot changed the game, since I had Greyscales and Jac and Shark ready to grab the toss in from the crowd.  

I never had any trouble getting momentum, and dodging all over the board. My initiative rolls were shite, and I only won one roll off. 

vSiren was a weak spot, as well as Kraken, and I wonder if Hag would have been a better choice, and even Fangtooth. I would run A&G, but don't own them.