DaNkho

Resident Evil boardgame

Hello friends

Only 31 hours remains until Resident Evil 2 boardgame backing is closed. And i can't make up my mind so i would like to hear opinions of fellow gamers who went trough all that troubles with Dark souls boardgame.

Will you be getting RE2 boardgame? SFG is tossing some bad light on this project, making new game while so many troubles are still presistent with DS, delays, lack of proper testing and balance of ruleset, launching card game in between etc etc. 

But still time is running short and i don't know what to think about SFG and this game. Will it be another delayed untested and unbalanced hype? I believe SFG are experienced enough by this point with various troubles and mechanics of board games they stubled upon while creating DS so it could be better.

At another hand i am afraid if it woudn't end up as complete luck game of hit or miss/risk. I love miniatures and Resident evil though...

Your opinions are very wellcome.

4 hours ago, DaNkho said:

Hello friends

Only 31 hours remains until Resident Evil 2 boardgame backing is closed. And i can't make up my mind so i would like to hear opinions of fellow gamers who went trough all that troubles with Dark souls boardgame.

Will you be getting RE2 boardgame? SFG is tossing some bad light on this project, making new game while so many troubles are still presistent with DS, delays, lack of proper testing and balance of ruleset, launching card game in between etc etc. 

But still time is running short and i don't know what to think about SFG and this game. Will it be another delayed untested and unbalanced hype? I believe SFG are experienced enough by this point with various troubles and mechanics of board games they stubled upon while creating DS so it could be better.

At another hand i am afraid if it woudn't end up as complete luck game of hit or miss/risk. I love miniatures and Resident evil though...

Your opinions are very wellcome.

I personally did not back the game for a few reasons.

The biggest and simplest reason is that I feel a little bait-and-switched on the Dark Souls gameplay. If you read the FAQ that came out when DS was first put on KS, it's a little like you're reading about a different game. Many of the core mechanics are the same, but the resultant game was immensely simplified in a way that makes the game rote and uninteresting. Part of this probably has to do with needing to cater to lots of audiences, but I  think not really having a specific target market hurt the gameplay. I was too worried that even if RE2 sounded like a phenomenal game, I'd end up getting a game that was a different animal by the time it was in my hands.

I've houseruled this game into oblivion so that it resembles the game I really wanted in the first place, and a game I'm excited to play, but I don't think I'm willing to do that again. Until Steamforged puts some effort into addressing the core gameplay concerns that many, many people have had with DS, I think I'm going to hold off a bit on buying stuff from them until I really know what experience I'm getting.

Also, and I realize this is a silly reason, I really don't like aesthetically that it's specifically an RE2 board game. It smacks of being a tie-in for an RE2 remake launch. A more pressing concern is that if that's true, it means the game needs to be ready by a particular date, so it's going out whether the gameplay is ready or not.

Finally, I have every card for the Resident Evil Deck Building Game already, which isn't a spectacular game, but it's loads of fun and gives me my RE fix.

7 hours ago, Chud_Munson said:

Also, and I realize this is a silly reason, I really don't like aesthetically that it's specifically an RE2 board game. It smacks of being a tie-in for an RE2 remake launch. A more pressing concern is that if that's true, it means the game needs to be ready by a particular date, so it's going out whether the gameplay is ready or not.

You do realize that the Dark Souls board game was a tie in for the Complete release of Dark Souls 3 yes?

39 minutes ago, Norintha said:

You do realize that the Dark Souls board game was a tie in for the Complete release of Dark Souls 3 yes?

I do, but it's not the Dark Souls 3 Board Game. It may have been meant as a tie-in, but the game itself doesn't make it that obvious. 

At the time, I don't think it was was known that the intention was to launch alongside the DS3 complete release, or at a minimum I didn't realize it at the time. Maybe I would have reconsidered buying had I known that, maybe not. Regardless, that constraint very likely had an impact on the gameplay polish of the final product so I'm not itching to take that gamble again.

12 minutes ago, Norintha said:

Which is totally fair. Experienced tabletop gamers with a lot of hobby already don't really need to monkey with fixing up a 3/4 of the way there game. 

Yeah, for me, I have enough love for the DS franchise that I'm willing to put in work to make a really cool game out of it, whereas I already have a RE game I think is fun. There's probably a bit of sunk cost fallacy there too. I spent nearly $300 on DS and a ton of time, so it's easier to not want to give up on it.

You bring up a good point though. If this is your only board game, putting some work into making it a better game is probably fine for most people. If you have dozens of boardgames, that's a harder thing to want to do just because there are so many games that are just great fun out of the box.

1 hour ago, Chud_Munson said:

Yeah, for me, I have enough love for the DS franchise that I'm willing to put in work to make a really cool game out of it, whereas I already have a RE game I think is fun. There's probably a bit of sunk cost fallacy there too. I spent nearly $300 on DS and a ton of time, so it's easier to not want to give up on it.

You bring up a good point though. If this is your only board game, putting some work into making it a better game is probably fine for most people. If you have dozens of boardgames, that's a harder thing to want to do just because there are so many games that are just great fun out of the box.

As well as this is a fairly easy to modify game. The base game speeds up a ton just by sorting out the stuff that takes more than 3 levels for at least one class to wear. Pretty much cuts the deck in half and removes the lack of fun from pulling something that needs 20+ souls to wear from every pull. From there if you want to make it less like Shining Force/Fire Emblem and more like Dark Souls it's a few easy changes. 

On 10/28/2017 at 7:20 AM, Flohsors Redfield said:

Sorry for reviving this topic, but @Chud_Munson could you give me an overview of the houserules you have in place to change the Dark Souls into the game you wanted?

@Norinthathis is also a great idea that my group and I will try the next time we play :) 

Edit : sorry I think I found it.

Sure, these were the ones I was referring to: 

Not sure if those were the ones you ended up finding; I've posted a few iterations on here, but this is the thread that compiles the final versions of the ones I've been working on.

13 minutes ago, Flohsors Redfield said:

@Chud_Munson yes that's the topic! Thanks a lot for all the effort you put into this :) 

My pleasure! I had a lot of fun writing the extended rules, so it's cool to see other people enjoying using them and hearing their feedback.