Sign in to follow this  
kaladorm

Matchup Listings + Tournament 10

I have a tournament coming up, and I picked a list of 10 based on my gut feeling. Then I realised it would be far better to take a methodical approach. I listed out teams and the matchups I see more commonly in my meta, and then picked my ideal Butchers 6 against them. Summing the columns I can see which players I choose most often and build the 10 around that.

At the moment the sum is unbalanced, as I have some lineups with more variation than others. Taking only the opponent list's I 'expect' to see means I can metagame based on my personal preferences and choose the best tournament 10.

If you want to help contribute, you can suggest common team lists, or your opinion on an optimal 6, you can find the (very much WIP) here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uqFdofsEMfrewugw7G2a88-2wWhoAmonfa-Q6-H12i0/edit?usp=sharing

Going through this process also made me realise some things about my choices in general:

• I tend to take Boiler/Princess as a pair or not at all
  • Princess goes in as a deterrent to AoE bombing like Hoist/Ratchet and Smoke teams
  • I thought I liked vBrisket more than oBrisket in practice, but often ended up choosing oBrisket in theory when seeing a male heavy team. Something I need to remind myself of
  • I don't tend to pick Boar without vBrisket as often as it leaves him open to getting shut down
  • I take vOx vs weaker teams where he will survive through his harrassment. This works out well since I take Captain Ox against fightier teams like Brewers and Farmers and out-fight them
  • Understanding when to take Tenerizer depended on how easily the opposing team can get around his counter-charge (e.g. Acrobatics, Tidal Surge). 
  • Of the Union models I feel most comfortable with Minx, followed by Rage, then Harry and Decimate in specific matchups

Though unfinished, I think my tournament 10 looks like

Fillet
Ox
Princess
Truffles
Boar
Boiler
vBrisket
Meathook
vOx
Minx

The lists I expect to face at our tournament are typically:

Tapper, Scum, Hooper, Spigot, Friday, Stoker/Mash

Honour, Marbles, Brick, Harmony, Flint, Mallet

sBrisket, Strongbox/Coin, Mist, Hemlocke, Minx, Decimate

Ballista, Mother, Ratchet, Hoist, Velocity, Compound

Midas, Flask, Katalyst, Vitriol, Mercury, Calculus

Small possibility of Farmers (starting 6) and Butchers (Ox, Princess, Boiler, Meathook, Boar, oBrisket)

Wow, I've never seen this level of preparation going into a event (A spreadsheet to work out your most likely matchups?), a twitter poll decided who I play for this weekend on a guild level as I couldn't decide, let alone a 10 player roster. 

My only advice is to go with what you know best, you make must better decisions as a player when you feel comfortable that they are the correct ones. 

I agree I wouldn't say allow the data to override your feelings, more as an eye opener to some of those traps we fall into in emotional rather than critical thinking.

My gut remembers those times that Boar solo steamrolled a whole team, wheras picking lists like this allows my brain some input along the lines of 'could be a risky pick in teams that shut him down or evade him'. 

Try it yourself with some other team lists and see if you surprise yourself. You just might learn something even if you stick with your originals :-)

On 10/19/2017 at 8:22 AM, AaronWilsonCB said:

My only advice is to go with what you know best, you make must better decisions as a player when you feel comfortable that they are the correct ones. 

This is by far the best advice. If you know the entire butchers line-up then use them based on matchups but do not try and force someone onto your roster. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

I do think GB is balanced enough to go for what you like.  For instance I have had great success without Boiler, V.Ox or Boar in most games still relying on good old Shank though he seems to be out of favour.

is the dual Mascot worth having or could that be another spot for an outfield player?

I think a lot of this depends on your playstyle. Personally I prefer to have a 6 player team that I play pretty much all the time. I experiment a lot in getting there, but once I've found a team and a playstyle I'm happy with I tend to stick to it. Whenever I've toyed with the idea of opponent-specific swaps it's always left me wishing I hadn't and I'd just stuck with the team I knew how it operated.

This is more than likely a me thing, but I can see it being a bit if a butchers specific thing, too: the way butchers adapt to the enemy plan is to kill the players you think are going to cause you the most problems if they stay on the pitch. A specific guild rarely deciates far from the team that gives you the most efficiency in doing that.