Sign in to follow this  
JustinRoley

Farmers Escalation League Choices

I am going to an escalation league event on Saturday and will be using Farmers, proxies are allowed however I am wanting to use painted models only. I have all the released models available as well as Tater and Ben and Grace. Keeping in mind the format (game with 3 players, then add a mascot, then go to full 6 man) and my desire to use real models, what do you think my best option for the 3 would be, keeping in mind the 6 I would building into later. So Grange(and later Peck) is already chosen by lack of options, beyond that I have been pretty sure i want Tater in the three (for his versatility as a scorer, beater and annoyance) which would likely leave one in the 3. If Bushel becomes my second reaper in the 6, some added goal threat and mobility in a 3 on 3 might help cover the pitch better, Windle is right out in 3 v 3 because of pitch coverage I would think. Alternatively, I could add another planter alongside Tater, to either give a goal threat and more active harvest markers OR Harrow to supplement damage until I can get up to a full squad and possibly use Windle. Another option could be adding Grace to the 3 man roster, adding efficiency and pitch coverage, but feeling less fluffy and not as desirable in the 6 man I would think. So there you have it, my dilemma. If you have any thoughts or suggestions I will look back here prior to the escalation league. Thanks in advance for your help!

FearLord, thanks for the advice, seems pretty sound logic. That last spot is hard to love because we are so used to playing 6 it always feels something is missing with 3. That said Harrow is a 2" melee, that can always contribute something while being happy to pass his portion of the resources to a teammate.

I'm in week 2 of an Escalation league with Farmers, and Fearlord is exactly right for a 3v3. Thing is, until the league cup at the end, winning doesn't matter. Hidden Agendas are all that matters - the league is decided on agenda points, and there is a seperate certificate for the cup (3 round tournie) at the end. Tater is still a good choice for cards like 'Have 4+ more MP than your opponent' or 'Deal 12+ damage in an activation', but if you draw 'Win without any takeouts' or 'Score a Screamer', he's not gonna be great. Go Grange, Tater and Harrow as your default, but be prepared to change it based on your agenda cards.

Remember you can play as many games as you like each week but you can only record 2 on your sheet, so record the ones you scored the most AP in, and try to maximise variety of opponents (you get 2 AG at the end of the league for each different opponent you played, and a bonus if you play against all the different opponents).

SATS I should have clarified, this is a one day escalation league so each "week" I actually restricted to one game. I have not looked at the cards yet, I was just planning on playing some GB so I guess I need to do my homework! Thanks for the suggestions. Sounds like two smart guys agree, so I will take both of your advice.

I had my escalation league experience Saturday and it was certainly a fun time. I will give a brief rundown of my games here. First round I used Tater, Harrow and Grange(remember I restricted myself to actual models, no proxies). He played Masons, using Flint, Honour and Harmony. I received, passing the ball around to score agenda points and made him come to me. I wound up getting the 6 VP all off of Tater kills, but Grange did alot of work. Harrow stood in the back. Next game we added a mascot and I played against Butchers. He was running Ox, Princess, Brisket and Boar. It was a very tight game with me holding the ball deep in his end needing a goal to win(none of his players anywhere near me), but him threatening a returned Grange to win on the takeout. I ended going after Brisket in cover with grange to get my momentum to score, but wound up in Ox's threat by a fraction of an inch(no way around it), but I crucially forgot to put up constitution. Grange died on the last hit (would have lived with tough hide up), while Tater was waiting for a bonus timed tap in by himself if Grange survived. 3rd game was a Farmer off, him playing all proxies from second box except Harrow. I received again, making him come to me(only option against Thresher). I played Honest Land box swapping Bushel for Tater. I sacrificed Grange to Thresher to end a turn, but in return was able to take out his Tater and Thresher. Rest of game was jockying for position. Won 4-2.  Last game was kickoff masons against my same lineup, it was a slog with me winning 6-0 when time hit (his first tourney so played pretty slow). Farmers Honest Land had a lot more play in it than I expected, finished 2nd with no one undefeated and my loss being the other 3-1. Really looking forward to the second box now more than ever!