Chud_Munson

Extended Ruleset Compendium (with printable rulesheets)

EDIT:

I ended up reworking these into a proper PDF from an amazing template that @cabezazo shared with me which can be found here. Many thanks to him for that and some really valuable clarification feedback! A few updates are there too for clarification, but the big thing is the text looks a lot more crisp and prints out looking a lot better. Sorry they're not here, but the PDF is too large to host on SFG forums. Further updates will be made on the PDF in the BGG link above rather than here.

Thanks again for looking at these everyone, and if there's anything that can be done to make these rules clearer, don't hesitate to let me know.

-----

Hey everyone,

The last few weeks I've been posting some custom rulesets that I've been playing with lately and floated the idea of including them all in nicely formatted rulesheets. I decided to take a bit of time to get them all in there, so just wanted to post them here so everyone can enjoy them. Let me know what you think, and feedback is of course welcome :) 

I updated the sheets with a few new things:

• Updated the Extended Ruleset to add a little danger to Additional Attacks. This should help mitigate the fact that this feature makes the game much easier. This little change cranked the difficulty back up to a sensible level in my playtests.
  • Added a whole slew of new effects to encounters. I wanted some more interesting barrel and tombstone effects, so I added those and split the wall of text into two pages.
  • Fixed some typos.

Damn son, I'm blown away by the encounter events. Not sure were you got all the ideas, but there crazy good!

• When resting are you re-drawing new encounter cards or keeping the same ones?
  • Are you using the core game spark system?
  • If the encounter requires as to add hollow soldiers and all availabe models are in play, what then? - Nothing?
  • Could you explain lvl 3 encounter "Dilapidated Bridge" little more?
  • Lvl 3 encounter "Silent Tombs" what how to you choose what enemy model attacks?
  • Lvl 3 encounter "Perished Depths" if sparks work per core rules then I think this fight is impossible - If resting is free or players have some other ways to rest without spending sparks, then this fight should work.

I have an idea for resting were you don't have to use sparks. I'm still figuring out the details, but it uses humanity instead of sparks.

Not sure how important it is to add extra move and attack actions. What I've done is enabling the ability to two-hand weapons, dual-wielding, parry, stagger, stability. Probably gonna make a post down the road about those things once everthings been playtested.

4 hours ago, Dizn said:

Damn son, I'm blown away by the encounter events. Not sure were you got all the ideas, but there crazy good!

• When resting are you re-drawing new encounter cards or keeping the same ones?
  • Are you using the core game spark system?
  • If the encounter requires as to add hollow soldiers and all availabe models are in play, what then? - Nothing?
  • Could you explain lvl 3 encounter "Dilapidated Bridge" little more?
  • Lvl 3 encounter "Silent Tombs" what how to you choose what enemy model attacks?
  • Lvl 3 encounter "Perished Depths" if sparks work per core rules then I think this fight is impossible - If resting is free or players have some other ways to rest without spending sparks, then this fight should work.

I have an idea for resting were you don't have to use sparks. I'm still figuring out the details, but it uses humanity instead of sparks.

Not sure how important it is to add extra move and attack actions. What I've done is enabling the ability to two-hand weapons, dual-wielding, parry, stagger, stability. Probably gonna make a post down the road about those things once everthings been playtested.

Thanks for having a look, glad you like these :) Answers to your questions:

I reset with new encounters personally, especially since I only generally use two tiles per spark.

I use the same spark system as the core game with half tiles and double soul rewards for encounter completion.

Ideally, they'd keep coming. You can always use some other marker to represent the soldier. Or just stop placing them, whatever works better for you.

Admittedly Dilapidated Bridge is phrased a little funny. It just means that models can only move to the corner outside nodes.

For Silent Tombs, every enemy whose dodge value you don't exceed activates.

Note that on Perished Depths it's that all models gain this effect, including players. This fight could be really difficult if you don't kill the enemies quickly, but it should be possible.

Looking forward to seeing how your ideas work out too :)

I updated this again a bit. A few small things:

• Updated the character abilities to beef up some of the options. Some of the previous ones were kinda lame and I felt like a few were obviously better than others. I mostly beefed up the ones that focus on using particular item types (armor without dodge, one handed weapons, etc.) This way people actually want to use each of the abilities rather than being stuck with ones that feel weak or too situational.
  • Changed the description of Speed Run so that it's a little clearer how the encounter cards work.
  • Changed Lightless Passage so it gives you a couple ways of completing the challenge and gives you a reward that's good for more than just one build. Also allowed players to choose the poison spell rather than the gem for completing the Deeps challenge.
  • A few small aesthetic updates.

9 hours ago, Chud_Munson said:

Changed Lightless Passage so it gives you a couple ways of completing the challenge and gives you a reward that's good for more than just one build

Since when can you block traps or have I been playing the game wrong all this time?!

3 hours ago, Dizn said:

Since when can you block traps or have I been playing the game wrong all this time?!

Oh, nope, I've been playing it wrong. Just checked the rules where it explicitly states you can't block them :-P I'll go in and change that back.

18 hours ago, Dizn said:

Alright, I went ahead and updated Lightless Passage so it complies with the rules now. Also clarified that each find can only be used once. I realized that if people aren't replacing encounters, they could easily farm for items in some cases.

Hi there,

After playing through our first DS dungeon I came to the forums looking for rules clarification but found your extended ruleset instead, which got me really excited. Very nice!

I am going through the set one piece at a time but I'm already liking the Ability Bars rule. I'd like to ask for a clarification though. It states:

• Intelligence – During an attack or block, you may use this ability to add/remove the magic attribute to/from the attack/block.

Would this entail subsequent points 1 and 2, or 1 only?

1. During your character's activation, turn a physical attack into a magical one or the other way round (so you have a greater chance to dealing damage to an enemy).
  2. During an enemy's activation, turn his physical attack into a magical one or the other way round (so you have a greater chance to blocking/resisting it).

Additionally, no matter what case it is and assuming I'm not totally misinterpreting the rule, you can only alter attacks, right? If so, just to make things clearer in my mind, would it be enough if the rule text said "you may use this ability to add/remove the magic attribute to/from the attack/block"?

Thank you in advance and keep up the good work!

14 hours ago, cabezazo said:

Hi there,

After playing through our first DS dungeon I came to the forums looking for rules clarification but found your extended ruleset instead, which got me really excited. Very nice!

I am going through the set one piece at a time but I'm already liking the Ability Bars rule. I'd like to ask for a clarification though. It states:

• Intelligence – During an attack or block, you may use this ability to add/remove the magic attribute to/from the attack/block.

Would this entail subsequent points 1 and 2, or 1 only?

1. During your character's activation, turn a physical attack into a magical one or the other way round (so you have a greater chance to dealing damage to an enemy).
  2. During an enemy's activation, turn his physical attack into a magical one or the other way round (so you have a greater chance to blocking/resisting it).

Additionally, no matter what case it is and assuming I'm not totally misinterpreting the rule, you can only alter attacks, right? If so, just to make things clearer in my mind, would it be enough if the rule text said "you may use this ability to add/remove the magic attribute to/from the attack/block"?

Thank you in advance and keep up the good work!

Thanks for having a look, and that's a really good point. The reason I thought about it as attack or block is because thematically it felt weird for a character's ability to influence something about an enemy attack. Plus, I want to avoid any potential unforeseen implications of changing attributes of an enemy attack. Although you're right, a block doesn't "have" magic, it's just a resist.

I'm thinkin this instead: "During your attack or block, add/remove the the magic attribute to/from the attack or switch your block/resist values for that block".

Edit: Updated rulesheets to reflect new phrasing.

9 hours ago, Chud_Munson said:

Thanks for having a look, and that's a really good point. The reason I thought about it as attack or block is because thematically it felt weird for a character's ability to influence something about an enemy attack. Plus, I want to avoid any potential unforeseen implications of changing attributes of an enemy attack. Although you're right, a block doesn't "have" magic, it's just a resist.

I'm thinkin this instead: "During your attack or block, add/remove the the magic attribute to/from the attack or switch your block/resist values for that block".

Edit: Updated rulesheets to reflect new phrasing.

Thanks for your quick response! I understand your concern with regard to affecting enemies' attacks, I'd rather avoid that as well. Making sure I understand the rule if what gives me peace of mind, so what comes next is just me being picky. The rulesheet states:

• "Each space on the track represents a once-per-spark action the player may take on their turn ... Each ability may only be used once on the player's turn."

Strictly speaking, you'd be defending (and maybe feeling inclined to use your Strength, Dexterity or Intelligence abilities) during an enemy's activation, not yours... So maybe stating "once per turn (or activation)" would suffice? Then, I'd wonder whether I could use the Faith ability during an enemy's activation as well...

6 hours ago, cabezazo said:

Thanks for your quick response! I understand your concern with regard to affecting enemies' attacks, I'd rather avoid that as well. Making sure I understand the rule if what gives me peace of mind, so what comes next is just me being picky. The rulesheet states:

• "Each space on the track represents a once-per-spark action the player may take on their turn ... Each ability may only be used once on the player's turn."

Strictly speaking, you'd be defending (and maybe feeling inclined to use your Strength, Dexterity or Intelligence abilities) during an enemy's activation, not yours... So maybe stating "once per turn (or activation)" would suffice? Then, I'd wonder whether I could use the Faith ability during an enemy's activation as well...

Another great point! Please do be picky, want these to be as clear as possible. :)

Would this make more sense? "Each space on the track represents a once-per-spark action the player may take .... Each ability may only be used once by the player until the beginning of their next activation".

1 hour ago, Chud_Munson said:

Please do be picky, want these to be as clear as possible.

You've made a big mistake my friend. You've unleashed a beast! :)

1 hour ago, Chud_Munson said:

Would this make more sense? "Each space on the track represents a once-per-spark action the player may take .... Each ability may only be used once by the player until the beginning of their next activation".

Now, things may be harder than I anticipated in terms of usability and game balancing.

I think using the empty spaces on the progression track is pretty neat, so I'd prefer not having to keep track of when was the last time cubes were placed on abilities in order to know whether they can already be used again or not (I can imagine players forgetting this more often than not).

Which could lead to balancing issues:

1. What would happen if you allowed players to spend abilities as fast as they liked (as long as it was once per activation, which is easy to describe and keep track of)? 
  2. Taking your previous rule text into consideration, would that allow players to use abilities during teammates' activations as well?

On another note, it could be worth mentioning that abilities' spaces are restored when the party rests at the bonfire, that is, there are no other requirements or possibilities to do so, such as spending souls.

1 hour ago, cabezazo said:

You've made a big mistake my friend. You've unleashed a beast! :)

Now, things may be harder than I anticipated in terms of usability and game balancing.

I think using the empty spaces on the progression track is pretty neat, so I'd prefer not having to keep track of when was the last time cubes were placed on abilities in order to know whether they can already be used again or not (I can imagine players forgetting this more often than not).

Which could lead to balancing issues:

1. What would happen if you allowed players to spend abilities as fast as they liked (as long as it was once per activation, which is easy to describe and keep track of)? 
  2. Taking your previous rule text into consideration, would that allow players to use abilities during teammates' activations as well?

On another note, it could be worth mentioning that abilities' spaces are restored when the party rests at the bonfire, that is, there are no other requirements or possibilities to do so, such as spending souls.

No mistake at all! I love this, thank you for digging in. I'm a software dev for a very large tech company that does rigorous code reviews, so I'm very used to extreme pickiness.

The reason I'm shying away so much about "once per activation" is because I want to clarify on whose activation. In the heal example, does that mean I can do it once per each model's activation)? That at least wasn't my original intention. What about Alternate Path? How do activations come into play there?

Basically, I'm trying to balance two things: 1.) The fact that some abilities are used outside of a player's turn, and 2.) the fact that I don't want players to be able to use their abilities on other players (ie., there are some abilities that shouldn't be used outside of a player's turn, like things that buff attacks). I'm thinking the best way is to use your "once per activation" phrasing and just be more explicit in the abilities when they can only be used on the player's turn versus during other turns. Maybe just an annotation that indicates an ability can only be used on the player's turn who's using the ability. I'll have to mull this over.

In terms of ability space restoration, that's implied by the "once per spark" phrasing. I suppose I could make it really explicit though.

I updated the Extended Ruleset and Character Abilities sheets to incorporate feedback. Phrasing has been changed so that the abilities don't stipulate that they must be used on a players turn, and that skills can be used once per activation. Some individual abilities have been updated to clarify that they must target the player using the ability through phrasing like "when you...". 

10 hours ago, Chud_Munson said:

No mistake at all! I love this, thank you for digging in. I'm a software dev for a very large tech company that does rigorous code reviews, so I'm very used to extreme pickiness.

The reason I'm shying away so much about "once per activation" is because I want to clarify on whose activation. In the heal example, does that mean I can do it once per each model's activation)? That at least wasn't my original intention. What about Alternate Path? How do activations come into play there?

Basically, I'm trying to balance two things: 1.) The fact that some abilities are used outside of a player's turn, and 2.) the fact that I don't want players to be able to use their abilities on other players (ie., there are some abilities that shouldn't be used outside of a player's turn, like things that buff attacks). I'm thinking the best way is to use your "once per activation" phrasing and just be more explicit in the abilities when they can only be used on the player's turn versus during other turns. Maybe just an annotation that indicates an ability can only be used on the player's turn who's using the ability. I'll have to mull this over.

I have a background in software engineering as well, so that's where expectations related to order and clarity most likely come from :-)

I also thought "once per each model's activation" probably wasn't your intention. That's when I started thinking how someone may try to trick make the most out of the ability bars system; for example, multiple players repeatedly healing a teammate during consecutive activations so he could safely spend extra stamina running + on stronger attacks during his turn.

Regarding activations coming into play with Alternate Path, wow, I haven't even made it to the expanded character abilities module yet! :-) I guess it all comes down to realizing that:

• Some abilities would play like extra actions in addition to moving and attacking (e.g. healing or looking at encounter and treasure cards), which means they can be used during your character's activation only.
  • While other abilities just provide bonuses to actions (e.g. reducing stamina costs, or adding extra dice or pips to specific rolls), so they can be used whenever those actions are played, that is, during your character's activation or that of an enemy, as appropriate.

As you already noted, explicitly stating when each ability can be used is probably the route to go. If I'm not mistaken, as per the original game rules, a player can't intervene in any way during other players turns, and your extended ruleset isn't changing that. 

A few more doubts now that I keep inspecting the ruleset:

1. Would you be able to use the Strength ability bar to reduce the stamina cost of performing an additional attack, additional move or adding an extra die to an extended dodge?
  2. What does "forced to move" in the Immovable Object and Falling Somersault character abilities mean exactly? Movement as a consequence of being pushed? If so, what if your character is pushed because of a enemy's movement that deals damage (attached image) and you decide to use Immovable Object? Would the character still be hit but stay in the current node?

attack-moving.png

5 hours ago, cabezazo said:

A few more doubts now that I keep inspecting the ruleset:

1. Would you be able to use the Strength ability bar to reduce the stamina cost of performing an additional attack, additional move or adding an extra die to an extended dodge?
  2. What does "forced to move" in the Immovable Object and Falling Somersault character abilities mean exactly? Movement as a consequence of being pushed? If so, what if your character is pushed because of a enemy's movement that deals damage (attached image) and you decide to use Immovable Object? Would the character still be hit but stay in the current node?

attack-moving.png

1. Yep, that's right. Any reason the player would use stamina is a valid reason.

2. Yeah, you interpreted that correctly. The situation you described is exactly why I worded it that way. I didn't want people thinking they could negate all effects of a push icon; this ability's primary focus is tactical positioning and acting as an effective meat shield rather than avoiding damage. So in short, yes, this mostly comes up when you're being pushed, and yes, you would still take damage in the situation you described.

Keep em comin! :-P

Updated the linked PDF to include a Weapon Arts expansion. This is a module that includes special mechanics that are specific to each weapon. When I could, I tried to simulate how each Weapon Art behaved in Dark Souls 3. For example, Lothric's Holy Sword has a projectile like it does in the video game. I tried to err on the side of making them not overpowered but still useful enough that people would spend their souls on them. Let me know what you all think :)

Update

One of the things I've noticed is some people don't like the fact that the treasure deck involves so much randomness. I know a common thing people have done is to split up the treasure into a tiered deck, but at least when I've played, this makes the game way too easy because you very quickly get optimal gear for where your character is at at a low cost. To try to address this, I've added an Item Shop variant to the extended rules.

What I tried to do with it is give people some predictability in terms of getting items that are useful for them, but at a fairly steep cost. The idea is you can pay a premium to be ensured that you get a piece of gear you can use, so in a sense you're never going to be completely screwed by the item draw.

Additionally, I've added a module for people to be able to face main bosses and mega bosses right away rather than needing to go through a mini boss first. Since the game takes a while, one of my concerns is that it's exceedingly rare I'll have the time to do a full run through the miniboss dungeon, and then do a main boss (let alone again for a mega boss). To make sure my main bosses (and ordered mega bosses) don't just look pretty on my shelf while they collect dust, I've come up with a way to set up a reasonable pre main/mega boss game state to jump right in.

Since these modules rely heavily on soul economy and how powerful bonuses are or aren't, I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't get the ratios quite right the first time. Would love to hear from people trying this out and seeing if it works for them and what needs tweaking.

The updates are here: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/155076/extended-ruleset-compendium-pdf

Update

I added a pretty good bulk of lore to the Location Events. I realized reading through them that while there were different things happening in different locations, it wasn't always obvious why they were happening thematically. Hopefully the inclusion of some flavor text helps to elucidate that.