Zirenius

Escalation league starting team

Dear butchering brethren,

long story short: what are your opinions on viable three-man teams for starting out the escalation league?

I am pretty new to the game, so anything is helpful here. Currently, I am drawn towards playing Ox and pairing him up with Boar. fluff-wise (as of S1 and S2), Brisket would obviously be great. Meathook seems to be the stronger choice though...

Anyway, did you already play an escalation league and which picks did you prefer for the first games? 

Thank you all very much and have a nice evening!

You should be fine starting with just about anyone.

3v3 games aren't particularly indicative of how full games feel, so you should be going in just looking to get a handle on the rules and what the models do. 

I would think Ox, Meathook and Boar is shockingly good I in 3v3. You've got no major influence conundrums either. Boar gets 1, Meathook gets at least 1, Ox gets at least 3 and you've got 2 left to stack up Ox or Meathook as you see fit. You can even happily just keep everyone with the INF they generate if you want to keep options open.

Original Brisket will want at least 2 and vet wants a full stack, so Meathook is much better for flexibility. 

41 minutes ago, malladin.ben said:

I would think Ox, Meathook and Boar is shockingly good I in 3v3. *snip*

Agreed, I'd swap Meathook for Boiler though just to use him as a support piece. Marked Target and Swift Stance will be great with Boar.

37 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Agreed, I'd swap Meathook for Boiler though just to use him as a support piece. Marked Target and Swift Stance will be great with Boar.

Boiler depends a lot on Princess to be have good damage and IMO Marked Target and Swift Stance aren't really all that efficient after turn 1, especially when the rest of your team starts at def 3+.  I'd bring him in with 4 players definitely but 

Swift stance has saved Ox for me a lot. Ox then uses tough skin on himself to go to a 4 def 2 arm. Boiler can get 3 damage on 2 hits under The Owner and boar can go in to clean up. That's my take on it anyways. 

Here's my take: Go for the cheesiest setup ever with Ox, Meathook and Boar.

Turn one, go first with Meathook, tool up Boar. Go second with Ox, walk forward, pop the legendary play, try to get Butchery on whoever came forward. Then go with Boar and if you're lucky you can maybe take out two people? If you got the Butchery off then you're getting +4 to all your damage results. It's probably overkill, but something tickles me about doing 25-30 damage in one activation even with poor dice rolls. 

Our local group started Escalation a few weeks ago. What I found was that during the first week (Captain plus two players) I almost couldn't lose, especially if Boar was on the team. Butchers don't have the uber-synergies that the other teams have, but each Butcher individually is pretty nasty to face one-on-one. Partial teams seem to hurt the other teams MORE than it does us.

The point of the escalation league is to experiment with different combos. It's a perfect excuse to drag in new players (me!) or to start a new team, especially since the win/lose record doesn't matter. It's all about those agendas. Experiment. The ONLY player I don't recommend trying on a 3-man team is Tenderizer because he has such a narrow niche.