• Announcements

• Mako

Union in Chains Pictures   10/14/2017

With union in chains in full swing, everyone wants to upload a few pictures with their battle report (they're highly recommended to ensure your report is accepted as valid). Check the Union in Chains section for some handy advice (and user avatars) before you start!  
Sign in to follow this  
Chud_Munson

Location specific effects

Hey guys,

Over the past few weeks I've been creating a few variants for people to play with that I'd like to eventually incorporate in a compendium of house rules. I wanted to post something else I've been working on to get people's thoughts on. One of the things people have been talking about disliking is the degree to which there's not much exploration in the game. To mitigate that, I thought it would be cool to have different effects based on what location you're in.

Let me know what you all think :) 

Ruined Keep - Each time a player or enemy makes an attack with range greater than 0, roll a dodge die. On failure, that attack's value is decreased by one.
The Forgotten - When destroying a barrel, roll a dodge die. On success, draw a treasure. On failure, spawn a Crossbow Hollow on the destroyed barrel space.
Dark Hollow - Each time an enemy ends an activation without dealing damage to a player, remove one damage from that enemy.
Unlighted Chamber - Attacks have a maximum range of 2. When a model moves to a node, roll a dodge die. Upon failure, you must choose a different node for that model to move to.
Broken Passageway - Any time two or more models are on the same space, roll a dodge die for each model. Upon failure, that model takes damage equal to a blue die roll.
Shattered Dungeon - If both barrels are destroyed, draw a treasure.
Ashen Hollow - If a player kills two enemies on the same activation, gain two souls.
Ghostly Keep - If a player does not kill an enemy on their activation, spawn a Hollow Soldier on the single sword space. Gain a soul for each new enemy spawned.
Forsaken Depths - Enemies' melee attacks have Bleed.
Ash Gardens - When destroying a barrel, search the treasure deck for Firebombs. Place it in your inventory and shuffle the treasure deck.
The Deeps - When a player moves to a node, roll a dodge die. On a failure, that player is poisoned. Spend one stamina while adjacent to the tombstone to remove poison.
Hollow Cave - If there are no models on an enemy spawn node at the end of an activation, spawn a Hollow Soldier there. Gain a soul for each new enemy spawned.
Demon Ruins - Players with Tier 1 or greater Faith deal +1 damage on all attacks. All other players deal -1 damage on all attacks.
Weathered Peak - All attacks have frostbite.
Sunrise Pass - At the beginning of each model's activation, it heals one wound.
Lightless Passage - When a player fails a dodge roll, they take an additional damage.
Black Dungeon - Players cannot heal wounds. Magic attacks deal one additional damage.
Temple of the Deeps - When adjacent to the tombstone at the end of a player's activation, you may roll a dodge die. On success, add a random transposed treasure from the current boss to your inventory. On failure, remove the location and replace it with Desecrated Church, setting up that encounter as normal with player models unmoved and player boards unaltered.
Sentinel's Wrath - While adjacent to the tombstone, you may pay 2 stamina to draw from the treasure deck until you reach a spell. Activate that spell's least powerful ability for free, and then shuffle the spell back into the treasure deck.
Forgotten Gorge - Any time an enemy is on an outermost node and is pushed, that enemy dies. If a player is on an outermost node and fails a dodge roll, they die.
Prison Tower - Once during this encounter, a player may end their turn on an empty violet node to free a prisoner. That player may search through the treasure deck for an Ember, place it in their inventory, and then shuffle the treasure deck.
Burned Gardens - Players may attack the barrel. If they do, destroy the barrel and all adjacent models take one blue die of magic damage.
Lost Labyrinth - Any time a model is on a node adjacent to a wall, they are considered to be adjacent to nodes located adjacent to the opposite wall(s).
High Wall of Lothric - Any time a player moves from an outermost node to a non-outermost node due to a dodge, they take one damage. Attacks by models on outermost nodes gain +1 damage provided the attack is against a model in a non-outermost node. 
Central Irithyll - Each player enters this encounter with a Frostbite token.
Silent Tombs - Enemies do not activate on their turn. Each time a player moves to a node or completes an attack, they roll dodge dice equal to their dexterity tier (minimum of 1 die). If the result of the roll does not meet or exceed the dodge value of an enemy's attack, that enemy activates immediately.
Desecrated Church - When adjacent to the tombstone at the end of a player's activation, you may roll a dodge die. On success, remove the location and replace it with Temple of the Deeps, setting up that encounter as normal with player models unmoved and player boards unaltered. On failure, reset this encounter with player models unmoved and player boards unaltered. All enemies' health values are doubled.
Wretched Gardens - When destroying a barrel, search the treasure deck for Kukris. Place it in your inventory and shuffle the treasure deck.
Empty Crypt - When gaining treasure upon completing this encounter, you may instead draw cards from the treasure deck until you find a gem. Place that gem into your inventory and shuffle the treasure deck.
Lost Shrine - When gaining treasure upon completing this encounter, you may instead remove an equipped spell from the game to draw cards from the treasure deck until you find a spell. Place that spell into your inventory and shuffle the treasure deck.
Dilapidated Bridge - Models may not move onto outermost nodes that are only adjacent to one wall.
Untended Graves - Upon completing this encounter, players may spend one spark to decrease all their skill attributes to Base level and gain the number of souls equal to the cost of their total skill investment to this point.
Profane Shrine - Players with Tier 1 or greater Faith start with one wound. Players with Tier 1 or greater Intelligence gain 3 stamina at the start of their activation instead of 2.
Cemetary of Ash - Each time an enemy dies, place a Poison token where their model was. Models that pass over this token gain it.
Pit of the Dead - Each time an enemy dies, place a damage marker where their model was. Models cannot enter this node.
Perished Depths - Models deal +N damage on attacks, where N is the total number of sparks used by the party since the beginning of the game.

Some of these seem cool, but its quite a bit to keep track of and remember, and how do we know what zone were in? Is this based on a campaign play through where you're in certain areas before certain bosses?

@Squirtis - the names are on the encounter cards, so OP has cleverly matched these conditions to the specific encounter cards.

@Chud_Munson - this seems really cool! Have you tested it much? How well does it balance? It's funny to think it would actually give me a reason to break barrels for once!

11 minutes ago, D S SIRIUS said:

@Squirtis - the names are on the encounter cards, so OP has cleverly matched these conditions to the specific encounter cards.

@Chud_Munson - this seems really cool! Have you tested it much? How well does it balance? It's funny to think it would actually give me a reason to break barrels for once!

Hah, yeah, definitely thought about those barrels. I've gotten a chance to playtest only a few, so there might be some stinkers in here, but I actually don't necessarily want perfect balance in these. You'll notice some of these have no benefit for the players. I sort of want people to be a little nervous when they pull an encounter to see what's on the other side. In my opinion, it better captures the feeling of playing the video game.

Thanks for looking at these, guys :D

This seems like a good idea, but really hard to keep track of. I have a feeling that once we get all our KSE's and mega bosses these encounter effects would be something to consider. Others and myself included are probably makeing some questome scenarions/campaigns where one could use all this! So thanks for doing these.