Sign in to follow this  
Slackerbrig

Using Crucible

Hey I’m new to forums, so help me work through this!

I’ve been playing alchemists for about 6 months now and can find a decent slot for every player on the team in almost any team comp, with the exception of Crucible... How are you guys playing with Crucible and what team comps are you playing her in?

Any advice or thoughts are appreciated!

I believe Crucible pairs best with oKatalyst.  He can knock down and burn a player and push them away, then Crucible makes it cost two momentum to get back into the game.  She's very fragile, so you have to be very careful positioning her.

For me she needs a 2" melee and change slip past to stay within melee range :P She has great potential, a Goal Threat range similar to Smoke and Vitriol but much more depending on the placement of the opponents players. Also MOM 2DMG would help a lot

I think she is great. swapped her in for Vitriol after that nerf. 

Forcing your opponent to spend more momentum is very handy. if you can, stick her right in the middle of the fray, activate her first so she can get her defence up and position her within range of a snap shot. she can generate some easy momentum then freely dodge away waiting expectantly for the ball.  

My issue with her is the execution of her design. Totally dig what she is meant to be doing. Psuedo Striker is neat, Slip By allows for some sneaky goals, 3/6 kick is solid and she is pretty fast. The problem I have with her is to make use of her ability to force the opponent to pay extra to clear momentum you have to be within 4". She's 4/0, 5/0 with nimble, so okay ideally you run her last activation or second to last and end with something that spreads conditions to people within 4" of her. 

Then, in the dream world you get first activation, put up nimble and go "Nerr nerr you have to pay 2" momentum. Here is your problem now - She's within 4" of people, 5/0 and no armor. You've just given the opponent a person to kill, which doesn't require much work. Secondly, it's a terrible first activation and almost gives up the reason for taking the initiative. 

So say you don't do that and want to use her a pseudo striker? Well Decimate, Mist, Vitriol, or even Venin just do that roll better. (Mist is a pure striker, to be fair) but when you only get 6 players on a team I really, really struggle to find a place for her. 

7 minutes ago, AaronWilsonCB said:

My issue with her is the execution of her design. Totally dig what she is meant to be doing. Psuedo Striker is neat, Slip By allows for some sneaky goals, 3/6 kick is solid and she is pretty fast. The problem I have with her is to make use of her ability to force the opponent to pay extra to clear momentum you have to be within 4". She's 4/0, 5/0 with nimble, so okay ideally you run her last activation or second to last and end with something that spreads conditions to people within 4" of her. 

Then, in the dream world you get first activation, put up nimble and go "Nerr nerr you have to pay 2" momentum. Here is your problem now - She's within 4" of people, 5/0 and no armor. You've just given the opponent a person to kill, which doesn't require much work. Secondly, it's a terrible first activation and almost gives up the reason for taking the initiative. 

So say you don't do that and want to use her a pseudo striker? Well Decimate, Mist, Vitriol, or even Venin just do that roll better. (Mist is a pure striker, to be fair) but when you only get 6 players on a team I really, really struggle to find a place for her. 

Put her next to a couple people and use Katalyst to apply KD + Burning at once. Can't jump on Crucible and kill her if you can't move.

She works in a perfect world. But in real life I can't justify her in my 10, not even mentioning 6... There are so many better players. Why would I take her over Vitriol, Decimate or Calculus? Even Compound is better choice in most cases.

PROS:

- great looking model

- cool aura

CONS:

- super squishy without nimble, with nimble she's just squishy

-aura range is too short

- 1" melee, good playbook results are at 4 and 5

What she needs is 2" melee (or at least Extended Reach) and either 1 ARM or 6" aura. :><: could also be more accesible.

She can deal a surprising amount of damage to models by just pegging off basic attacks near the end of turns, but it's not enough to overcome the afformentioned issues, especially when she's actively aiding her opponent's abilities to kill her.

I had Crucible in my line-up and finally beat my buddy who has had an undefeatable Engineers team in our circle. My team was Smoke, Naja, vKat, Vitriol, Calculus, and Crucible. 

I needed someone on my team to proc off Vitriol's 2" dodge and didn't want to use oKat so I opted for Crucible. I also knew my opponent wasn't going to give me Vitriol's 2" dodge by keeping his conditioned models near me so I needed someone on my side to do it. 

In the game Crucible did the following:

- Allowed Vitriol to 2" dodge into Pin Vice, tackling the ball and sprinting away to get a goal.

- Took Velocity down to 3HP (after Reanimate and my opponent had healed her for 4HP) setting up Smoke for the legendary kill.

Could oKat have done what she did? Yes. But I needed vKat for the Witness Me takeout which won me the game. Crucible almost always threatened that extra momentum cost for clearing conditions/healing too.

This is only my 3rd game with her and the first two times she was a liability. But with careful positioning this time around, she was a game changer for me.

So I say don't give up on her too easily. I think her potential is up there.

On 24/10/2017 at 5:25 AM, jnkmoua said:

I had Crucible in my line-up and finally beat my buddy who has had an undefeatable Engineers team in our circle. My team was Smoke, Naja, vKat, Vitriol, Calculus, and Crucible. 

I'm still new to the game, but that's an usual line up to me. You play with no fire AOE ? I always feel like it is even more important than poison because of the MOV reduction.

About Crucible, I really want to like her because the model is great, her profile is really different from our other players, still didn't tried her.

On the part of allowing Vitriol dodge, do you keep a condition on Crucible all the time just for that ? because the difference with Okat is that if he's already in Vitriol's melee range, you don't even have to activate him before her to proc the dodge

On 10/23/2017 at 9:25 PM, jnkmoua said:

I needed someone on my team to proc off Vitriol's 2" dodge and didn't want to use oKat so I opted for Crucible. I also knew my opponent wasn't going to give me Vitriol's 2" dodge by keeping his conditioned models near me so I needed someone on my side to do it. 

In the game Crucible did the following:

- Allowed Vitriol to 2" dodge into Pin Vice, tackling the ball and sprinting away to get a goal.

- Took Velocity down to 3HP (after Reanimate and my opponent had healed her for 4HP) setting up Smoke for the legendary kill.

Could oKat have done what she did? Yes. But I needed vKat for the Witness Me takeout which won me the game. Crucible almost always threatened that extra momentum cost for clearing conditions/healing too.

This is only my 3rd game with her and the first two times she was a liability. But with careful positioning this time around, she was a game changer for me.

So I say don't give up on her too easily. I think her potential is up there.

Any chance you took any pics? I’m curious how you got a Crucible up the pitch. If she has to activate and condition herself, yet stay within 2” of Vitriol t get her dodge did you wait till turn 2 to get Crucible into the mix? Or were you just taklking about once Crucible was already in the mix you had her help Vitriol? Glad you are having success:)

my fiercest opponent is also an Engineers player that runs (usually) Ballista, Mainspring, Locus, Colossus, Hoist and Velocity. The last 3 can vary a little, but the first 3 are always there and they cause me so much pain with reanimate and armor when I’m playing a condition game. I still need to try ‘the curkov’ against him because it’s been working really well for me, and previously I didn’t have enough experience with Smoke to really play the match up well.

ill definitely try your style and team to see if that helps me see things in a different light

On 10/24/2017 at 6:29 AM, MechMage said:

@jnkmoua Glad to hear you found some success with her.  How do you think Venin would have done in Crucible's place?

I think Venin would have also been a fine choice instead of Crucible. However I think I'm more often than not able to maximize all of Crucible's traits and character plays, and sometimes even playbook results, more than I would Venin's. Maybe that's just me. Venin wouldn't have been able to dodge out after putting a condition on someone nor could he threaten the additional momentum for healing/clearing conditions.

17 hours ago, Mezawockee said:

I'm still new to the game, but that's an usual line up to me. You play with no fire AOE ? I always feel like it is even more important than poison because of the MOV reduction.

About Crucible, I really want to like her because the model is great, her profile is really different from our other players, still didn't tried her.

On the part of allowing Vitriol dodge, do you keep a condition on Crucible all the time just for that ? because the difference with Okat is that if he's already in Vitriol's melee range, you don't even have to activate him before her to proc the dodge

I like fire AoEs and usually like to take them when I can. However I found that with this particular opponent it didn't really matter. I'd try to handicap Velocity by putting a fire aoe right in front of her and she would dodge around the fire and still be able to make a goal on turn 1. I'd try to handicap Pin Vice too and found that my opponent had no problem spending momentum clearing the burned condition away immediately.

What I did find, though, was that if I poisoned his characters he was less likely to clear conditions until he really needed to. This kept conditions on his models and gave me more opportunities/choices to threaten with vKat. Which in later turns gave me the "momentum" I needed to turn the game my way.

As for conditions on Crucible, I usually start her with a burn condition and keep it on her so she can spread burn around. I find that she can reliably do so, which is great. That being said, it's not just for the Vitriol dodge.

5 hours ago, Slackerbrig said:

Any chance you took any pics? I’m curious how you got a Crucible up the pitch. If she has to activate and condition herself, yet stay within 2” of Vitriol t get her dodge did you wait till turn 2 to get Crucible into the mix? Or were you just taklking about once Crucible was already in the mix you had her help Vitriol? Glad you are having success:)

my fiercest opponent is also an Engineers player that runs (usually) Ballista, Mainspring, Locus, Colossus, Hoist and Velocity. The last 3 can vary a little, but the first 3 are always there and they cause me so much pain with reanimate and armor when I’m playing a condition game. I still need to try ‘the curkov’ against him because it’s been working really well for me, and previously I didn’t have enough experience with Smoke to really play the match up well.

ill definitely try your style and team to see if that helps me see things in a different light

I think my buddy, @Seacitygamer took some pics. I'll have to ask him and see if he has any good pics of the Crucible action going on.

To further clarify - for the kickoff, I kicked the ball with Smoke. The reason I do this is so that Calculus could comfortably move as far as she needs to in order to poison and blind and still gain momentum. This also helps just in case Smoke gets the ball, she can actually be in a position to score on turn 1 (I know most people prefer to kick off with Vitriol for the goal threat - you do what works for you).

During turn 1, Vitriol activated early on, jogged about halfway up the pitch, threw out a smoke bomb 4in from Smoke (to get Smoke in range of Velocity, who had the ball) and then Vitriol stayed in cover. Shortly after, Crucible activated, burned herself, and sprinted to be next to Vitriol.

I won initiative roll and opted to go first. At this point, Pin Vice (PV) had the ball and was in cover near Vitriol, but not quite close enough for Vitriol to just start swinging. Because Crucible was close to Vitriol, Vitirol got her 2" dodge to engage PV (out of PV's 1" melee) and thanks to cover, Vitriol easily got the ball back, generated momentum, walked up the field, and scored.

It has taken me over 15 games against this PV team to finally beat them. There were some major mistakes made by my opponent (e.g., Turn 1 Velocity goal was measured incorrectly, he was trying a new model out and that model became a liability, etc.). In the end, did Crucible make me win? No, not really - I don't want any one of my models to be the sole reason why I win. That'd be too easy. But Crucible did indeed do some good work that game.

I've been experimenting with her a bit recently, her aura is useful but due the short range only really useful about once or twice a game.

She is so squishy that she gets smashed easily forcing early an activation to put nimble up which is not ideal with her.

I have been playing against teams with a lot of reach which may skew my view but her counter attacks leave her a bit vulnerable. It would be nice if she had something to make her a bit more slippery to pin down or a tac bonus against models suffering conditions. Slip past on two is nice but it still leaves you in your opponents melee zone unless she is being ganged up on.

I want to use her more but I struggle to know who to leave on the bench to take her as she doesn't bring all that much to my game.

shes awesome in scoring goals when the opponent has the ball. with momentous tackle and slip past on 2, she can easily retrieve the ball and then position herself to score. With her 3/6" she can then actually score reliably.

While she waits for that opportunity, she can support our brawlers in winning fights, simply by going in, applying damage/conditions, and then dodge out. When playing her in a team with A&G or harry and Kata and/or Venin, she can really shine.