• Announcements

• Mako

Union in Chains Pictures   10/14/2017

With union in chains in full swing, everyone wants to upload a few pictures with their battle report (they're highly recommended to ensure your report is accepted as valid). Check the Union in Chains section for some handy advice (and user avatars) before you start!  

Ok, @TheLieutenant you knew this as coming after the awful sting of questions I forced upon you at WTC.

The general gist of my question is how does the timing structure of multiple counter charges mixed with counter attacks resolve?

In all the following examples I will be using Masons and Farmers models

Example 1

I trigger both Marble and Bricks counter charge with Grange and I want to make a counter attack. How are these declared and how are they resolved?

Example 2

I trigger both Marble and Bricks counter charge with Grange. Brick's countercharge allows me to trigger Tater's counter charge. Brick declares a counter attack. How are these declared and how are they resolved?

I'm sure there are a ton of permutations of this could you please answer as many as you can think of or at least give me the tools I need to answer judge calls like this in the future.

-Vincent

Counter-AttackAfter an Attack or Charge is declared, the target model can respond by spending [1] MP to declare a Counter-Attack. After the active model resolves their Attack, the target model may then make an Attack against the origin model, if able. A model may only declare a Counter-Attack once per turn against each enemy model.A Counter-Attack does not generate MP from momentous  Playbook results. A model may not declare a Counter-Attack against a Counter-Attack.

Rulebook p.43

Once per turn when an enemy model ends an advance within [6"] of this model, [...], this model may immediately make a charge targeting the enemy model

slightly shortened Counter Charge

These are the relevant rules

Example 1:

http://forums.steamforged.com/topic/35532-double-counter-charge/?do=findComment&comment=103375

Example 2

1. Brick Advance Part of the Charge

2. Tater declares a Charge

3. Brick declares counter Attack

4. Tater moves his counter Charge

5. Tater attack his counter Charge

6. Brick make his counter attack*

7. Brick make his counter Charge attack against the triggering enemy model*

* if still possible

If marbles is added, either he is added to the sequeny completely at the top (before bricks charge) or the bottom (after bricks charge)

If you look step for step, it isn't as complicated as it seems. But you have to be careful which triggers what and intercepted what. A Counter Charge is between the advance and attack part of a (counter) charge. A Counter attack is after.

Declaring is before anything is resolved.

Don't bump threads marked as checking please - if it's been marked, there's a discussion going on about it and you'll hear the answer when it is sorted.

So it's just a LIFO queue ;) A cool example as well could be:

1) Grange walks into Counter-charge range of Brick. 

2) Brick performs his Counter-charge movement and ends within Counter-charge range of Tater

3) Tater performs his Counter-charge movement and ends within Counter-charge range of Marbles who is within 4" of Brick 

4) Marbles performs his Counter-charge

Add the Defensive Stance and Counter-Attack declarations to that and have fun ;)

The events are resolved in sequence as a last-in-first-out (LIFO) queue:

On 9/30/2017 at 7:29 AM, TheCurkov said:

Example 1

I trigger both Marble and Bricks counter charge with Grange and I want to make a counter attack. How are these declared and how are they resolved?

1. Grange ends his advance.
    1. Effects that trigger on the advance ending are declared,
    2. Masons player declares counter charges.  He declares in any order he chooses.
      1. After all counter charges are declared, Grange declares Defensive Stance/Counter Attack for each attack as he wishes
    3. The first charge advances and Attack is resolved
      1. The counter attack (if declared) for this attack is resolved
    4. The second charge advances and Attack is resolved
      1. The counter attack (if declared) for this attack is resolved
  2. Grange continues his activation
On 9/30/2017 at 7:29 AM, TheCurkov said:

Example 2

I trigger both Marble and Bricks counter charge with Grange. Brick's countercharge allows me to trigger Tater's counter charge. Brick declares a counter attack. How are these declared and how are they resolved?

1. Grange ends an Advance, within Counter-Charge range of Brick and Marbles.
    1. End-of-Advance triggers occur
    2. Brick declares Counter Charge
    3. Marbles declares Counter Charge
      1. Grange declares Defensive Stance and/or Counter Attack for each Counter Charge
    4. Brick Advances for his Counter Charge, ending within Counter Charge range of Tater
      2. Tater declares Counter Charge
        1. Brick declares Defensive Stance and/or Counter Attack for Tater's Counter Charge
        2. Tater Advances for his Counter Charge
        3. End-of-Advance triggers occur
        4. Tater performs his Attack, with Charge bonus
        5. Brick resolves his Counter Attack, if it was declared 1.4.2.1
      3. Brick performs his Attack against Grange, with Charge bonus
        1. Grange resolves his Counter Attack, if it was declared at 1.3.1
    5. Marbles Advances for his Counter Charge
      2. Marbles performs his Attack against Grange, with Charge bonus
        1. Grange resolves his Counter Attack, if it was declared at 1.3.1
  2. Grange continues his activation, if able

The steps that resolve Attacks only occur if the game-state allows it (e.g. attackers are not KD, are still in melee range etc).

Credit to @WCWW podcast and @TimW for actually putting sequences together, I'm really just copy-pasting from internal discussion.