WhiteYin

General Blacksmith tips

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

Being able to tackle with Cinder from 6" away is huge, and I mean huge. I was able to close the game with a Cinder goal.

[yay first post!]

Welcome!

Just curious, how did you get to 3 net hits with TAC 5?  Was it a lucky roll?  I love the 6" melee, but I've never been able to hit 3 hits from that attack without other gangups or singled out benefits.

Lucky rolls on mother with bonus time. Mother missed a tap in and the ball stopped at the goal post. Mother was two inches away and snapped it. Activated Cinder who was 6 inches away and did my ranged attack and tackled the ball. Then I charged hoist and flubbed that but got enough for a double dodge. Got within 8 of the engineers goal and shot it in for the game. Yay for camping one momentum lol. Originally I was gonna get Iron set up for his heroic but saw I was in shooting range with Cinder and went that route.

Although Hot shotted nearly every activation (even just to chip out burning) I've only used it twice for Tackling and only 1 managed it. But yeah dodgey goings with no set-up.

Before Hearth I typically used Cinder to generate an early MP via the dodge result or possibly to apply Burning to an opposing player.

As others have stated, the +2 net hits that Hearth can provide let her hit the 3 success Tackle pretty reliably.  

I've been having a blast so far with the forged from steel box. This is honestly the team I've always wanted. So far every game I've won has been with goals. People forgot how good at football Furnace and Cinder are! They are my main point getters and get me a goal every game. The 3/8 kick they have is so good and is easily bonus timed to 4. Ferrite is good for obvious reasons. She always opens the game for me with an early goal and her disarm and weak point on 1 is deadly. I've yet been able to use Iron properly though, still waiting for the opportunity to use his heroic... One day! Now for the other two... Anvil and Sledge. With Hearth and Alloy coming out the Sledgernator and Anvil are odd men out. I find them to work great and are a total mind game with your opponent. Anvil is insanely durable and Sledge is one hell of a play maker. Tackle on one and long bomb??? Hhhngh.

How is everyone else doing with the box set?

21 hours ago, Tiberius said:

I've been having a blast so far with the forged from steel box. This is honestly the team I've always wanted. So far every game I've won has been with goals. People forgot how good at football Furnace and Cinder are! They are my main point getters and get me a goal every game. The 3/8 kick they have is so good and is easily bonus timed to 4. Ferrite is good for obvious reasons. She always opens the game for me with an early goal and her disarm and weak point on 1 is deadly. I've yet been able to use Iron properly though, still waiting for the opportunity to use his heroic... One day! Now for the other two... Anvil and Sledge. With Hearth and Alloy coming out the Sledgernator and Anvil are odd men out. I find them to work great and are a total mind game with your opponent. Anvil is insanely durable and Sledge is one hell of a play maker. Tackle on one and long bomb??? Hhhngh.

How is everyone else doing with the box set?

I think the set is really strong, even without drafting options. 

Ferrite and Iron are my MVPs mostly. Momentous disarm on 1 hit is outright broken. I usually score a goal with Ferrite or Furnace/Cinder and Iron. 2 takeouts, 1 from the Anvil and Sledge duo, and one from tooled up Iron. 

Well thats me had my first tournamants with my Blacksmiths, 8 games 2 days. Loved it.

Having played the first tournament with Hunters I felt that with experience I had potential than slaving away making sure your plan (which I was trying to make up) goes correctly.

Anyway I'm not going to throw up 8 game reports, especially since I lost most of them (some closer than others) but for experience gaining I did mighty well. I also tried to do things differently each game whilst trying to win obviously but wanted to test each "Gimmick" or trick I knew smiths could.

Day 1 saw me face 3 Masons (16 attendances 7 of which were Masons) back to back. First opponent was the one to become last and thus my first win against Hammer. Believed I picked Furnace as my Captain. This was the first time I was able to use Kill the Ball from Cinder which was fun. Anyway I basically wailed on his guys for this win.

Game 2 saw me against Honour and yeah didn't know how to handle that so lost. I ended up on table 2 which was a never for me so knew I was going to be taken down a peg :D That 10 INF activation from Honour and Harmony can get whatever you want done and her legendary threw me (although I knew all these capabilities)

Game 3 saw me hopefully against another Hammer but was yet again Honour. This time though saw it goe closer than my last and I think it finally twigged what to perhaps do in this match up.

Game 4 was my virgin breaker against Alchemist (and the person who stole my painting trophy, the only one I was actually trying to win :D but hell even I voted for him so...) Anyway yeah, was against Smoke and although yet again knowing capabilities, I got properly hosed. I couldn't touch who I needed to touch and conditions erodid my apprentices. With zero momentum gain I couldn't do much to save them. Once the slaughter was done I've came to the conclusion of, Iron bump your team, Whilst the Iron is Hot and Ferrite's Captain legendary and just get the hell up the board ASAP. You'll take a hit from Katalyist (witness me was half my points :D) but you'll be in a position to touch them than be shot at. Regardless was good to get a game against them as well only way to learn.

Day 2 saw a much smaller crowd of 12 but still had the 2 big wigs Fraser and Timmy (both No.1s in their respective tables)

Game 1 saw me face an old nemesis with my Hunters, the brewers. Again another virgin breaker and yeah I rather fell for all his plans and couldn't make any of my own. Would blame being tired but I did make some rather obvious dumb plays giving him 2 goals back to back. Hey ho, another time.

Game 2 was against Union and the host of these tournaments. Despite my usual sparring and best mate's main guild, I hadn't actually got any experience against Union (Oh and said friend was on table 2 with Timmy, our German No1 so he got some experience to say the least, got 4 points out of him to be fair :D) Anyway my game saw me go 8-12 with basically an activation out of winning for me. Blackheart missed the game winner a couple of turns before with 4 dice. And despite getting the ball miles away saw it always back in his hands. Was a fun game and also my first ever Ferrite turn 1 goal (which i proceeded to do for the next 2 games :D)

Game 3 saw me face a good Guildball friend from my hunter days (faced him, lost (time out), came back the following game for me to win) this time though saw me against Masons again and Honour at that. Was a closer game than my previous but time out (WHY lol) didn't help me nor did the slow whittling of my guys. By the time I had the proper upper hand it was too late.

Finally Game 4 saw me face previously mentioned good guildball sparring partner against his Union. We were both pretty tired but i was warned that if he started cheating it wasn't deliberate, apparently he'd been accidently reading wrong cards and miscounting his dice (against him) for half the day (unlike him), so promised to be a fun game :D) Well if dice gods exist it seems his previous mess ups with dice counting rather pee'd them off as he missed litterally 3-4 goal attempts back to back, both 4 dice needing 3s or 3 dice needing 3s, regardless the ball was just not wanting to do in the net ,one even putting it a milimeter away from going off pitch behind my goal. I felt bad to be fair as really he should have won by this point. But the game went to me after 2 goals and a rather frantic dice rolling second kill with Furnace (throw the dice and call out 2 MOM damage strategy to kill a 6hp gutter otherwise he'd win with me timing out)

Overall was a good weekend if not an endurance slug fest. Got good experience with my guild and basically solidifies them as my No.1 Team. Hopefully now that I can learn the game (I feel) than my Team (Hunters) I can come back to Hunters being much better with them...... oh and I now have Farmers :D So there is a queue forming now ha ha.

Sorry for the necro but wanted to update now that i've had my new toys out :D (for some reason I can't copy paste a grammer checked version.. I'll see if I can get it up later)

So overall, love it entirely. Nice sculpts (as to be expected, bolt is fine but I feel he's just a bit too high up, might make a wall trim it and get him going over that... or just get the Usain one :D) and love the idea of owning a football team.

So nitty gritty (pinch of salt I've only had one outing) and I'll start with who I used most to least in said game

Alloy - Good swiss army knife like approach to him. You can make him fairly combaty with little set up (with hearth but I'll mention pairings later) or with set up he can get all his toys and shine in combat (or should have in my game). He hasn't touched a football but he's got obvious potential in that feild.

Cast - Like her, though I feel she isn't a sledge, which is good like variety. As combat she feels like she would go before the better hitters go in and JUST get out using swift strikes. Good support for footballers but it's unreliable, but the odd time it goes your way however it lands, it can be an unexpected for both players :D

Burnish - Actually liked him better than I thought I would, he isn't stellar by a long shot but I've not had an AOE damage thing in my time with Guildball so it's fun to have. Furnace is going to be his best friend I feel with tooled up on that front, niche but damn it'll be good to exploit that niche the once. Does he do a lot outwith? eh, he killed the ball for me since he was fairly up field which can throw people through a loop (as really you look at him and wouldn't think "ball killer"

Bolt - Flash made guild ball manifest. weak? should be really. Priority is to make sure he doesn't get tied down otherwise that's him (you can take 1 person thanks to Shoemerang) reduced pretty segnificantly i feel. Sadly that was my result with him, he got up, freed the ball (which burnish later killed) but got bruteally dog piled shortly after.

Hearth - Does what you want her to do, hunker down and help out, nothing more to ask of her and nothing less she'll do. Does mean that leaves situations you donn't want to/can't give her INF which in it's own way helps your team. Nothing much to add to her, easily though the best concept for a model I've seen for Guild ball.

Farris - AAAH the beloved horse rider. It's early days and brewers MIGHT not be the best match for her, but feel I'm missing the obvious with her. Master so i know she's support more than anything but she couldn't do much for me in that game. Feel she's more an outrider, skimming the sides of the pitch for runners, sprinting up snagging the ball off them (likely more through Legendary?) then Polo-ing it back to us and really only such. Which is fine, perhaps made the mistake making her my captain but my logic was if it's going to be a scrum, kicking a free ball is going to be more helpful than having to control it and get it out that way. I also think she might be good for helping Old Anvil out, turn 1 give him her speed boost before iron bumping and Whilst the Iron is hot, gets our tank where you want him, so like that idea (Love Anvil I want to get more out of him)

So thats indivually, not the best write up but it is one. But smiths are Pairs so thoughts on such are

Hearth and Alloy, yeah think everyone agrees you don't split this pair up so shant say more

Burnish and Cast - yeah think everyone agrees there is no "Pair" here, well not a mandatory one. She like's Furnace and Cinder's company just as much, having all 4 of them? Think it would work in a "on paper" deal but as an actually team that's a lot of bodies I don't think will do a huge deal. You'd likely take her with Hearth if you want to drop Burnish

Farris and Bolt - Well I had a hope but after using Bolt I think this is another mandatory pair. Bolt is fairly self reliant but his character plays are just such you need tutilege. Don't get me wrong, you needed something like that otherwise Bolt would likely be too much (if not easily shut down). I guess really if you slowed him down a bit (ie don't sprint relying purely on his 2 jogs) you don't NEED Farris, but defo feel she helps him more than not having her there, plus she's really the only one who can get up the board to give him Sentinel (which I guess she is good for as well)

Anyway spent enough time on this, hope it makes sense and good to see what other's dig out of the lot (I'll start mixing once I've had another game or so out of the box solo)