Sign in to follow this  
JacctheInsomniac

Bonesaw... just Bonesaw

I just played a game with the guy, and while he wasn't exactly MVP, he was far and away the most fun. (Also just new model excitement and nice not to have to jump through millions of hoops to get work done.)

It was a small 4v4 game to 8vps against farmers. Obs-BP&M-Bonesaw-Cosset vs Grange-Windle-Harrow-Jack

I received and passed the ball around a bit, Bonesaw ended up with it. He bounced off of Memory and then activated his Heroic, charging over Grange to Unexpectedly arrive behind him and blow his formation apart. Grange went facefirst into Memory and Cosset (who failed to kill that hardy f*cker), while Harrow and Windle were pushed away where they couldn't support him. I had used Confidence expecting one of my Football Dervish kicks to fail, which left me with not enough influence to score, but if he would have he'd have been able to weather Windle's retaliation.

Somewhere along the line he'd lost recovered the ball for a goal, and he'd repeat the Unexpected Arrival to disrupt the enemy team and isolate Grange later on.

As I understand it he's not a particularly favored player, Football dervish is dicey and Morts don't have a lot of exceptional Kickers. He goes down fast if he doesn't score his opening goal, and his Tackle is largely unreachable due to Tac 4 and 1" melee.

So what is Bonesaw missing?

He's good for me.

Max 8 move, 8" kick and 8 dodge with football dervish. 

I think you may need to match him with other 3/x kick player in team.

(like Scalpel, Silence or Grave.)

Football dervish with your picked players, Obs, BP, Cosset  (2/x kick) is very dicey. So the Bonus time is a must. 

His max inf [4] nice too, 

Activation in 1st turn, 1 for sprint, 1 for pass ( 4" or 8" Football Dervish), 1 for meditation and 1 for goal shot

Activation in 2nd turn, 2 for charge (with HP, unexpected arrival or 2" dodge), 1 for meditation, 1 for goal shot ( no problem whether you engaged or not, you can reroll anyway) 

For me, He is a powerful striker. Just make sure that you keep his distance away from enemy

Sorry for my English.

He works best against low def players. (Who doesn't!) Needs a supply of momentum to get the work done. A 'Singled out' from Dirge helps. 4 hits on the ball carrier will do. 6 or more is ideal.

Giving him 2" would do wonders for him as he is effectively held down as a goal threat if he has your average brewers on the wrong side of him.

(If Bonesaw is in striking range of the goal but has a player engaging him, who he is not engaging. Especially if that player is away from the goal he is trying to reach.)

The times I've used him, he is either the MVP of the game, or should be riding pine on the bench. He is probably one of the most fun models to play, and since I have a soft spot for this model, I tend to try and make him do stuff more often than not.

The problem with bonesaw is that he's in a team full of 2/6 kick players. Assuming you're not spending an influence for the reroll that means he needs to stay within 6' of another player and has a 65% chance to not fluff the double pass. If he's passing between a 3/6 player at least that goes up to 75%. To me that's not consistent enough. When a setup that requires the ball, multiple players, and decent banked momentum (No easy feat with Morticians) just straight up fails 25-35% of the time and gives you very little options for a "Plan B", you feel like you've been punched in the gut. 

I played 2 games with Bonesaw ad he scored 2 goals in both. If we are not going to be able to use Union players in the future we will have to get practice using him.

In my last game he scored as Graves had not got the range.        

He is much better with Ghost Shot GIC. That's like 2" of free range. I used him vs Thresher farmers yesterday. He scored my first goal and kept rednecks busy for a while. As fighting Thresher makes no sense I focused on football and scored with Obulus twice. With this GIC Morts feel like broken good football players :D

Only managed to get 2 games with morticians this weekend. However, I played B-saw in both of them and he scored turn 1 in both of them. Play him with Scalpel, Graves, Puppet and you have plenty of 3 dice models to bounce off. Found him to be really handy against Farmers, unexpected arrival can really mess with their setup.