• Announcements

• Mako

Union in Chains Pictures   10/14/2017

With union in chains in full swing, everyone wants to upload a few pictures with their battle report (they're highly recommended to ensure your report is accepted as valid). Check the Union in Chains section for some handy advice (and user avatars) before you start!  
Sign in to follow this  
Vernon_Broche

Surprised to find the game so intriguing and fun when I'm not a big sports guy, let alone soccer fan.

Hello everyone,

New player here, recently picked up the Kick-off set and the Farmers box. I'm in love with the plastic models and I'm finding the game way more fun and intuitive than I realized. I played in the Farmer's release event as the Masons, and with a lot of help from veterans (and probably some kid gloves worn by my opponents) I won two out of three games! 

As my play style slowly develops I'm learning the balance between scoring vs winning by take-outs. I find it supremely satisfying to score a goal with Flint but I also am not afraid to pump up Hammer or Honor with some influence and just smack the crap out of key enemy targets.  

I know it's kind of barely soccer-adjacent, with all the weapons and violence, but I'm surprised the tactics of setting up a goal are so appealing to me given I don't really watch sports of any kind. So I wanted to ask, are there any players here that are surprised they prefer a goal scoring team or strategy, based on their past experiences or what types of games they've played in the past?

That was my experience as a new player too. I think professional football is somewhat pathetic at times given the rampant diving and faking but it's really interesting how the football aesthetic got mapped onto a fighting game to create a MOBA-like experience.

I came from a WM background and went with Fishermen because I liked assassination runs, something that doesn't really exist in competitive WM as it used to.

I started with farmers and realized that I have infinitely more fun playing the football side than the beater side, so I flipped entirely to fish.  I love them. The fact that they're able to balance the two styles is impressive. 

I've been playing Kick Off Masons predominantly through my first few months. While I don't mind the more beat down Brewer style... I do find the balance of goal scoring and a bit of physical mayhem the Masons can bring more appealing. I have yet to dabble with a straight up goal scoring team such as Fishermen though.

Cheers! Good to know you are enjoying the game!

American so football (soccer) didn't appeal to me that much. Came salty from some X-wing nonsense and a community that all moved away. Needed a new game a guy at the store had just seen Guild Ball at an expo. Set up a demo and we fell in love with the game.

Brought it to some former fraternity brothers who are really into football but weren't willing to give a minis game a shot. All of them play and minus one are going to SteamCon with me in December. With everything that GuildBall does poorly it does a lot more things really, really damn well. I kinda sorta toyed around with Warmahordes between X-wing and this but couldn't find a community for it. 40k has 2 dudes that play in our area so it was out by default.

The things that really sold the game for me were the price point, low model count (for ease of assembly and painting,) the fact that it was different from anything else with it's built in objective, and how easy it is for someone with little to no minis experience to pick the game up and even become formidable quickly. The fluff and flavor has next to nothing to do with it for me. It is a great concept in a pretty box and that goes a long way.

Yeah, my aversion to the fantasy soccer and the Victorian setting kept me out of the game until Season 3.  Also the models are way behind the curve as compared to other miniatures companies.  

However, once I played I was hooked.  The mechanics are great.