Skalde

Farmers & Stuff

Grettings everybody,

so, a good two weeks after Grace and Benediction, The Honest Land finally arrived! I'm very excited to start working on them, as I have some conversions planned. I will post updates here whenever I have something interesting to share. I also took some pictures of the Farmers fresh out of the box, so if anyone is interested in that, tell me and I will share them.

So, first off, Grace and Benediction in their current iteration:

DU7ptcv.jpgsjm843M.jpg

Benediction is obviously further along; I usually start with the bigger minis because I find it easier to get a feel for the colours I want. I aimed for very earthy tones, you know, humble clerics' robes and such. The armour is not supposed to be NMM but some kind of bone or ceramic (I'm not quite sure, mainly it was supposed to be brown...), but came out looking a little like that anyway. I think that effect will pass after future glazes.

Next up, Grange:

Q7fxycz.jpg

There is probably no real reason to rebase him, except that he was standing too far back for my taste (I like my minis square in the center). Besides, the texture on the original base has a little edge towards the lips, which bothers me with most inlays and bothered me here. Otherwise, I wanted to cut off his saws' handles, drill holes and insert some wire, but my drill is to big so I had to dismiss that idea. I am still thinking about cutting all the upper details off to make it a clean blade, since I don't know what those knobs should be good for... Anyone got an opinion on that? Additionally, the missing eyes the Farmers suffer from have been filled with milliput.

More updates coming soon, tell me what you think! :)

I like the idea of Grace and Benediction in earthy colours ... now that we know they can play for the farmers that makes an interesting alternative theme.

21 hours ago, Skalde said:

Otherwise, I wanted to cut off his saws' handles, drill holes and insert some wire, but my drill is to big so I had to dismiss that idea. I am still thinking about cutting all the upper details off to make it a clean blade, since I don't know what those knobs should be good for... Anyone got an opinion on that?

I guess Grange is carrying two two-man saws on his back ... ideal for the team to chop up firewood after the match!

http://www.flinn-garlick-saws.co.uk/acatalog/One_and_Two_Man_Cross_Cut_Saw.html

1 hour ago, ADG said:

I guess Grange is carrying two two-man saws on his back ... ideal for the team to chop up firewood after the match!

...or bits and pieces of the Engineers team... :P 

@ADG yeah I thought so too. And even the most pompous cleric would probably wear a little more rugged travelling clothes if their destination is the Farmers Guild's dugout, right? :D As to the saws; yeah but I just don't understand why they haven't made the upper handles slightly thicker, so they could be full length. I mean, there are some pretty flimsy parts on some of those models...

@Malritch ... or, regarding my regular opponent, Theron's damned forest. :P

Anyway, here is yesterday's progress:

U8sfHxj.jpgeKuht34.jpg

I finished the purple and beige parts on Benediction and begun work on the metal ornaments, which will be the next step, along with the grey trousers. I must say, I'm pretty happy with it so far!

Also, I started putting my own saw to good use:

7kARRAu.jpg

Jackstraw is one of my favourite models in the box, but I didn't like the pose at all. So I repositioned the arms, aiming for a more puppet-like look. I'm not sure about his right arm and might reposition it further. Additionally, his legs bent in a very strange place which caused him to lean forward. So I chopped it apart, causing him to lean backwards a little, like a puppet on strings. This will also lead to him being a good bit taller, but I like that effect, because it makes him look even more creepy. 

@Malritch Thanks! ^^

So, here is the first (ahem) "Farmer" finished:

YR1mnqN.jpg?1Rkx4tL9.jpg?1

I was fiddling with glazes and touch-ups for days until I finally decided I would probably only make it worse at some point and declared him finished. I'm quite happy with the result! The model was really nice to paint up, I must say. However, even though she is already base-coated and being painted in the same scheme, I think Grace will have to wait a bit; her arm already broke off twice and I have little motivation to fiddle mith the metal again (man, I'm glad about the change to plastic)... Plus, I think it is time to paint an actual Farmer.

So, next up will be:

SiMqKGB.jpg?1

Grange will be the first, since he is not being converted in any way. I think I will ignore those over-the-trousers trousers (no native english speaker here, I have zero idea what those things are called) that many of the farmers have, because I want to paint denim since I have a reason to, and that those things would leave me with rather small areas to do that. I'm not completely sure about the general colour scheme either, but right now I'm thinkink trousers in denim, grey shirts, lots of brown and then some detail in orange. But we'll see.

64zcHS6.jpg?1

The Pumpkin ball is almost done, only missing the basing, I think; it will have a brown base, something I don't usually like for my minis, but since the ball is a central playing piece that can only profit from visibility, I decided to try it.

So, after a short hiatus, another game and the spoilered Fallow got me motivated again. Enter the finished Grange:

pKuFUOj.jpg?14qujqWt.jpg?1

I actually only recently got the season 3 book and read the fluff. I was very surprised to learn that Grange is supposed to be in the younger spectrum of players. I always imagined him to be this gruff but fatherly guy in his fifties or something. Consequently, I painted some grey patches in his hair, which is visible in real life, but not on the foto (sorry). Overall, I'm quite happy with him, even though I don't paint faces very often and could probably have spent more time on that.

So, the current progress of the team:

F0PC1CI.jpg?1

Yay! Next up will be finishing Jackstraw, who currently looks as follows:

UTEV3hN.jpg?1

He underwent some repositioning, because I didn't like his original pose and wanted him to look more like an actual, technically not alive scarecrow.

More updates coming (hopefully) soon, tell me what you think! :)

So, this is Jackstraw finished:

bDNL72c.jpg?1u1T4tei.jpg?1

I'm pretty happy with him overall. the foto doesn't really mesh well with the varnish; I apologize for that.

Next up is Windle, who will also be repositioned. I am leaning towards this pose:

Tvqq94X.jpg

Looks big and menacing; also, I felt his torso was a bit too short. However, I am also considering this:

QAp2vbp.jpgK3xoZhI.jpg

It looks a little more dynamic and much more interesting from more angles; however, I'm afraid it might look TOO dynamic, him being such a slacker and all...:D

Has anyone got opinions on that?

Second one is certainly a more "Come at me Bro!" pose.... as opposed to the box pose of him looking like he's just frustrated that he only stabbed a carrot/turnip and not his intended prey. :P 

Interesting. So the problem of being "too dynamic" does not really seem to be a factor, huh? Okay then!

I also considered chopping him up completely, straightening his legs (since he does have a very low stance) and have him just standing there calmly, towering over everybody. I mean, if the boy would just straighten up already, he'd be a good two heads taller (is that a thing you say in english?:huh:) than Benediction! That would capture the slacking instead of the berserking thing (and make him essentially look like a giant sloth, which I'd enjoy). The counterpoint to that idea would be that it might make him look daft, which I actually don't think he is from a fluff perspective. Also, much more work, which is meh.

Thoughts?

Hi ho, tonight will be a small update after a long hiatus (almost a year? whew...). Guild Ball was on the backburner lately, but the new season gave new motivation! I intend to continue working on the Farmers in the coming weeks, but for now, behold:

jxeFTFW.jpg?1

My sister and I recently had the idea to add little felt mats to our miniatures, like you can sometimes find on chess pieces. I applied them tonight and I am very happy with the result. It really adds a finishing touch and a really nice feeling to both handling and playing with the miniature. I will definitely continue doing this for all my GB minis.

Anyway, expect more updates coming soon!