Sunny Ravencourt

Tater is overrated

Clickbait headline!  But seriously, I've played about 5 games with him in my lineup and people see him a mile away.  True, he makes my opponent adjust his gameplay to avoid his countercharge, but only a little and not to any serious detriment.  Plus, when he does do his mow down, he often knocks my own guys down, or with his scything blow he sometimes clips off 3 from my guys.  

I ran him instead of Harrow in a Grange Windle Peck  Tater Jack Grace lineup and tater was by far the weakest link.  If I put him outside the pack, people will engage him immediately.  If I put him inside, he ends up doing almost as much harm as good (or I just don't mow or scythe at all).  I'd never replace Harrow with him again, but I think I underestimated Harrow's usefulness. 

I just can't get value out of Tater at this point.  Maybe with a Thresher lineup?  

Thresher is practically auto include in my opinion. You do have to think carefully about placement however so that he doesn't hit your own models (when you can't afford it).

Counter charge is huge for Farmers. They lack much in the way of any real threat extension or ranged plays, so you need to be able to cover yourself as you advance. Even if it never triggers, you can use it to manage threat ranges and engage on favourable terms. 

I don't think much of that list though - I would definitely want Harrow in instead of Grace with the rest of that team. Basically you are looking to scrum up and Tater covers you while you do. Grace doesn't seem to add much in that line up - speeding up Windle is so so in my experience- you don't want him to get too far away from Grange anyway...

Hahahahahah! Yes Tater is amazing. The CC is really only one part of his toolkit. The main part is his low MOM DMG and reach coupled with 4+/5+ (girls) DEF and his special sweep abilities. I bloody love Tater. I find he works in Grange and co because Grange Honest Labour is just as good for him as everyone else and he guards Windle (who you probably take with Grange) and he offers another threat point - they can't kill Grange, Windle and Tater and if they have Harrow nearby for Tooled Up, you're off to the races.

I really like Tater with the Honest Land box - really tweaks them to 10 (Thresher is 11 obviously...)

Using him with Grange highlights the problems I have.  I want honest labor up right away, so Grange ends up going in first, right?  Then they're either going to attack grange and stay out of tater's range, or engage tater.  If I do get to charge with Tater, I don't get to mow down, because that mows down Grange and scything blows usually hurt my team just as much. 

I know he's supposed to protect Windle, but people just play around Tater and he becomes a guy that doesn't use his tools.  

I put Grace in there because her ability to get windle to jog 5 is massive.  Windle doesn't want to charge, and god help him if he's blinded.  Grace has been pretty useful. 

That's part of why Farmers have the best healing and KD clearing in the game. KD and hurt your own people just fine, cause you'll heal it, transfer it to millstone, or clear it with peck

Any model with a 4 inf cap, 2" reach, 10" threat, momentous 1 and 2 on 1 and 2, and CC to avoid is going to be cash money. Don't get CC just send him in tooled up for an automatic 12 damage on basically anything, 15 if in honest labour too. 

51 minutes ago, Sunny Ravencourt said:

So you're loading up Tater with 4inf and having him charge in, scythe, and attack twice more to put as much damage down as you can? 

Yes, give him 4 as much as you can. Leading off with Grange for set up is standard and then your opponent has to decide wat to deal with - risk Counter charge from Tater, come into Windle's threat range, try and kill a model with 26 health, tough hide and sturdy - there aren't any really good options there...

Tater is there to keep people honest, and he has a great playbook for damage...

To the OP, I'd say if you are constantly hitting your own team with Tater's skill/traits, you are probably positioning him wrong. I've never played with Tater, but I've spent all three years of GB's existence playing Alchemists and Masons, when you are playing with counter-charges, it's all about positioning and measurements. Granted, Tater is harder to organise due to issue of harvest markers, but you've gotta think out his threat area, coverage of friends (if a friendly is within 4" of Tater, they can't be attacked without triggering the counter) and charge lines. Don't forget the charge has to be in a straight line, but you have a 2" melee which reaches in all directions, even backwards. Also, about 90% of the benefit of a counter-charge is to make life difficult for your opponent, not to actually do damage.

4 minutes ago, Sunny Ravencourt said:

I think one of my problems is that I haven't been loading him up.  So I always have maybe 1 charge and no follow up. I'll bet with 4 inf on him I would have more flexibility on decisions. 

He's never a bad spot for influence- his momentous 2 is very reachable in a Guild with lots of crowding and this adds up quickly with tooled up and Honest Labour...

He's not as Killy as a properly set up Windle, but he has none of the down sides either, and actually covers a lot of the rest of the team's down sides...

1 hour ago, Sunny Ravencourt said:

I think one of my problems is that I haven't been loading him up.  So I always have maybe 1 charge and no follow up. I'll bet with 4 inf on him I would have more flexibility on decisions. 

Probably! I have always run pure guild so I never have INF woes, but I think he's always a great player to load up. Good luck on the next time you use him!

I had my first games with tater today and he's very odd and more difficult to use than I thought. Mow Down and Sweeping Charge make it seem like you want to put him in a big scrum full of opposing players but losing the tac makes hitting Mow Down much harder than I originally anticipated.

I see OPs point. He's much harder to use in practice than he appears to be on his card, but I think he's worth the learning curve. Its just steep

On 17/09/2017 at 2:09 AM, Mr.G said:

I had my first games with tater today and he's very odd and more difficult to use than I thought. Mow Down and Sweeping Charge make it seem like you want to put him in a big scrum full of opposing players but losing the tac makes hitting Mow Down much harder than I originally anticipated.

I see OPs point. He's much harder to use in practice than he appears to be on his card, but I think he's worth the learning curve. Its just steep

If the opponent has a lot of 2" players to can be hard to hit yes. When a bunch of 1" models gather together it's obscene :)

It certainly takes a bit of careful positioning and timing to get the most out if his charge though.

This last game I finally remembered he had cropping, which helped immensely in keeping him alive once he'd barged his way into the fight.

1" melee teams and 2" melee teams were the difference between living the dream or just playing a good model.  Even against 2" melee, countercharge is good.  It's always good. On 6/8 model it's amazing. Playing into lots of 2" melee means you have to pick your targets better and maybe not engage two or three. Depends on the situation. 

Quite enjoyed Tater in the two games I've tried him in. First one he messed up a charge into Tapper and Hopper, falling to land a single hit, but later was able to make use of those low momentous damage results and the counter charge to put the hurt on and gain me enough MP to get back in the game. Today, thanks to a counter charge he found himself in just the right position to walk around :KD:'d Marble and Honour (thanks to Grange) and place himself between Brick and Mallet, then hit Brick with a bonus timed attack to :KD: Brick, Mallet and Flint, removed Grange's :KD: (thanks to Brick) and leave his entire team open to the insanity of Windle... Two Windle activations later, Brick and Honour are dead and I've gained 6VPs (yay, Snack Break!). Tater just feels like he does so much more than Bushel (I've only played 3 games with them so far), although Farmers do lack for goal threat.

On 9/15/2017 at 1:03 AM, EpicChris said:

Hahahahahah! Yes Tater is amazing. The CC is really only one part of his toolkit. The main part is his low MOM DMG and reach coupled with 4+/5+ (girls) DEF and his special sweep abilities. I bloody love Tater. I find he works in Grange and co because Grange Honest Labour is just as good for him as everyone else and he guards Windle (who you probably take with Grange) and he offers another threat point - they can't kill Grange, Windle and Tater and if they have Harrow nearby for Tooled Up, you're off to the races.

I really like Tater with the Honest Land box - really tweaks them to 10 (Thresher is 11 obviously...)

I agree, Tater with tooled up just does insane damage.... i play honest land with Tater in for Windle, and grace in for Bushel.... its 13inf (15) with grace, and just deals heavy damage

I've been playing Farmers in the Kick-About League at my FLGS and I played Grange, Peck, Harrow, Jackstraw, Bushel, and Tater tonight into Fillet, Vet. Ox, Boiler, Princess, Boar, and Shank.  Tater was an absolute rock star in the match.

The thing I'm learning about Farmers is to keep them bunched up whenever possible and advance steadily up the field; tonight I led with Grange just an inch or two in front of Harrow and Jack, with Bushel running the ball nearby, Peck just sort of flopping around adding on gang-ups/crowd-outs, and Tater off to the side a little bit ready to countercharge as needed.  That formation was able to take on Boar and Fillet by backing each other up and careful use of buffs and counter-attacks.  I found the 2" reach and the Farmers' playbooks to be great for this- you can easily counterattack and push a 1" model back out of range if they're not careful.  Tater also seriously punishes those who try to charge in on your team- remember, you don't have to set the world on fire with him for your countercharge to be really effective.  Mowing down Fillet on a countercharge means she'll just use momentum to bounce back up.  Pushing her back out of melee basically means she's done for the turn (and given the influence she usually packs, that can straight-up waste your opponent almost half their resources for the turn).

Keeping Tater on the wing of your formation helps make sure he can get those countercharges off, but it also opens up another option- he's got a very respectable 14" goal threat on a 3/6" kick.  I was able to close out the game tonight by passing him the ball with Bushel at the very end of a turn and taking a 4" dodge upfield.  I won initiative, charged Fillet (who had just returned to the pitch), staying at 1 1/2" away but within 6" of the goal.  With momentous damage on 1, I basically couldn't fail to generate the two momentum I needed for the shot and bonus time to ensure it went in.

In short, I was really impressed with him!

It's hard for me to talk about Farmers when I see peck as the chosen mascot (I know, the second is still not out, but the donkey is so insane as a mascot that it's hard to put in words). Tater is insane when put together with Millstone, Harrow and Thresher. Millstone keeps Tater safe from any nasty conditions, Harrow gives him Tooled Up and then a turn that Tater gets a counter charge and then a 4inf activation ends with a dead player, simple as that. On Threshers legendary play turn, Tater is sic!

I feel like your line up needs adjusting.  Tater isn't a problem and as has been stated is pretty amazing.  

Also You only really need one reaper and let the ~18 influence do the heavy lifting.