S_A_T_S

Beginners tips for Farmers?

Played my first game with Farmers tonight and got destroyed by Brewers. We were playing with GICs, which didn't help (Spigot giving him +2"/+2" every turn is harsh) but still I felt like I spread out too much and put the wrong players in the wrong places. Bushel didn't seem to do much of anything (I realise now I need to leave to the ball on someone else then use I'm Open to get hold of it) and low defense leaves you so open to :KD: and disruption (again, Brewers probably a hard matchup for a first game...).

Does anyone have any beginner tips for playing Farmers to get me off to a good start? After that game, I'm pretty sure keeping them together is a must, and I need to work out how to score with Bushel (Jack seems to need more set up on T1 & T2 to get his first goal). Any other tips/strategies to try out?

Bushel can be deceptively tanky. If you can position Harrow 4" behind her, she can be the forward model that absorbs the first wave. If needed you can stand her up with Peck, give her sturdy or tough hide with Grange,etc.... But even "just" a 5 def 1 arm model with all the farmer heals is pretty resilient, jackstraw can jump in and add a crowd out then you can send the team in to the tarpit and finish a model. Of course I was only able to do this because I received and passed the ball around between peck and straw behind my front line. Being able to entice your opponent to engage is half the battle.

I have definitely found that Farmers want to scrum up in the middle of the pitch.  Crowd outs, gang ups, and healing are the essential ways to keeping the damage dealing crew alive and dealing out enough damage of your own.  Spreading out the 2" melees to create zones of "don't run through here" helps.  I also have been using the harvest markers as poor mans Stoic.  Bushel can hit deceptively hard, tank, or score.  Jackstraw can bounce around the field with the ball and pass it or give easy dmg and gang ups.  Windle is a bit pre-meditative and I think I might be dropping him from my roster once Thresher and his crew come out unless Grace becomes my union player.  I love Farmers as a theme, but really wish they would have released both boxes cause I feel like the standard box lacks a bit.  I love both Captains and like the difference in game play.  Oh and don't be afraid to put tooled up on Peck,  wrapped momentous 3s is a thing.

One thing I haven't really figured out is how to stop flank goal scorers from getting easy T1/T2 goals.  Actually really looking forward Ploughman helping in that area maybe (if the strategy works as well in real life as it does in my head).

Also haven't tried the GICs yet.  Interested to see how they play out.

Yeah I suffer from early goal runs as well, so far I've just sucked it up and put a fort around the ball.

Biggest adjustment I found was the lack if an aggressive opening play. The new GIC that hands us 2 markers to start with should balance that out though.

With using only the Honest Land box, I found being super aggressive with Jack when kicking off to work well. I have Jack kick off toward centre of the pitch. When I get activation I use Jack first, crop dust to the middle of the pitch (near the ball) and teleport Jack there to hold centre while my team slowly moves up the Windle train. 

Having a 5/0 model with 2" melee and re-animate I found can be surprisingly hard to displace. Best case Jack gets beside the model that picked up the kick off and goes for a tackle. Worst case Jack gets some hits on him and next turn you can teleport away.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:47 PM, Luthon1234 said:

new farmers player: How do we deal with tough guilds like blacksmiths and masons, had a game the other day against blacksmiths that lasted 5 hours long and I still lost the game.

I kind of felt like the Blacksmiths were easy targets in my two games against them. Between Honest Labour and Tooled Up, they can overcome the tough hide and feast upon relatively low HP apprentices. The crowd outs help to generate enough dice to overcome the armor on a few models. Farmers, in my opinion, are all about setup and with the low basic move stats and desire to be close together, the Blacksmiths play into the scrum Farmers want to create. You do need to make sure to commit the players to the fray in the right order. Windle is always the last one to bring in, and until he is in the scrum he needs to be shielded by your crew. Tater is happy sitting a ways out on a wing, but still in range to hit a massive charge attack(even if you have to hit a Farmer 3 extra damage sure helps take down a blacksmith model). My biggest issue was protecting the ball against them because their kickstats are good across the board and Farmers aren't great at protecting the ball. I used my bodies and 2" melees to keep the ball on a high def model, Peck, Bushel or Jack, behind my team. Then if they still go for the ball you can sufficiently punish them for doing so. In our own football game I found Grace to be a sneaky return goal threat. No influence on her? Safe to leave the ball ? Nope gain 2 sprint, shoot, bonus time. 3 die goal from 16" out on a model sitting with nothing just behind the scrum. Keep at it, you will figure out the Blacksmith puzzle.

Speaking only the to Honest Land box

This team wants to create a scrum in the middle or their side of the field (most of my games I can rarely move out of my own zone)

Using the 2" melee to the advantage to create a defensive zone.

Lot's of KD on 2" melee should create problems for teams

It's basically about using the team to have Grange and Windle to take players out

Jack and Bushel are the odd movement score threat

Harrow is some insurance for conditions with the heal

If you manage to get the ball you have to defend it int he middle of your fort

The extra INF you can get from the harvest markers should make doing what you want pretty easy

I generally eat most all of the markers except 1 to 2 (One if a windle run can be early for Big Breakfast next turn and 1 for a Jack Straw Teleport)

Generally your greatest strength is creating a defensive zone of 2" melee and KD to present your opponent to unlock

You know how people got all excited that Iron has a momentous 4 Damage on 4 hits and 7 on 7 with TAC 6? Under Honest Labour so does Buckwheat, and Millstone does it on 6. Pro tips: Grange is sick

I've actually had the most success with Bushel when she starts the turn with the ball on her for a 20" goal threat. Super reliable if you can bonus time the pass back, and I'm usually swimming in momentum from Grange's activation by that point.

-Eat a harvest marker

-Pass to someone within 6" of Grange

-Dodge Bushel forward 4"

-I'm open to get the ball back

-Dodge 4" again

-Walk  6" and shoot an 8" goal

2 hours ago, Shrinkydinkman said:

Yeah well that donkey isn't out for the general public yet, and that's only a 2-3 dice kick. Bushel can roll 4-5 dice with rerolls.

Yeah well that donkey uses 2 INF and 1 dice roll compared to Bushel's 4 INF and 3 dice rolls. The donkey also has a chance at a free attack, with a free 4" push add-on, during the same activation, depending on Harvest Markers...

You know, Buckwheat is available and has been for almost a month now. It's just the rudolph one on the store. It's a pretty sweet model, I just got mine in the other day. 

2 hours ago, Mr.G said:

You know, Buckwheat is available and has been for almost a month now. It's just the rudolph one on the store. It's a pretty sweet model, I just got mine in the other day. 

Mine is in the mail with no word on arrival time.

Even when he gets here I'll still have to field Bushel since I missed out on the immediately sold out LE Tater.

For what it's worth I like Bushel for her role. She's queen of the snapshots. I think the re rollable snapshot makes her the best snapshot model in the game. She can also be extremely difficult to get rid of if you can get her protected going. It's not even a bad idea to have Harrow get so close because she does a pretty solid job dealing damage and can get tooled up. Momentous 1 isnt exactly what you want on a striker, but she can kill people if she needs to. I understand we have better models at killing, but I like her for that.

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:05 AM, S_A_T_S said:

Yeah well that donkey uses 2 INF and 1 dice roll compared to Bushel's 4 INF and 3 dice rolls. The donkey also has a chance at a free attack, with a free 4" push add-on, during the same activation, depending on Harvest Markers...

And you can have both in the same team!  I love built in backups.