Sunny Ravencourt

Are the Farmers just a beadown team?

Hey all.  I've played about 5 or so games with the farmers.  Mostly with the Honest Land box (plus tater and grace) and 1 on vassal with a Thresher team with millstone. 

I was hoping to really football some with these guys, but it seems like I'm going against their natural grain (pun intended). They seem like a team that is looking to just pound face for the win.  Maybe Jack gets a goal now and then?  Bushel isn't great when you look at the other options you could run (Jack is much better imo).

Is that your experience?  

Bushel has a huge threat range. Jack has a shorter range, but is harder to stop.

If you want to go with goals then you can do that. The place they struggle form what I see is that they aren't so good at regaining the ball from the opponent, and protecting it. If you find a good way to protect it, then Bushel can score thanks to I'm open.

First time I faced them Bushel and Jack both scored, not helped by my scatters going exactly where I didn't want them each time. Second time, I was able to get the ball away from them, and they hadn't managed to get it back when we had to end, so I'm not sure if I'd have been able to steal it from them again before they scored with it 

I have played about 6 games with them and the games I have won where either 1 score and 4 take outs  or 4 take outs all with windle. I think this is the area in which they shine and thresher and tater make that easier to do. I think you want to set up and fight in the middle of the pitch or wherever you decide to fight and score if you get the opportunity but mainly just fight where your ganged up. I think your goals are more if the opportunity arises then a forced win condition. This is also from a relatively new players perspective who has played most of my games on farmers.

Only time I get the ball is when I receive or after they score. I love playing Bushel and she's scored 1 goal in nearly all my Grange teams, but getting disengaged to get to the goal is tough. Jackstraw can get disengaged but his goal run takes a bit of set up. Thresher is pretty good at getting the ball and scoring it.

I think the closest analog in terms of goal scoring is Brewers. Not a whole lot of positioning available to work with but can score if the lane is open. Primarily a beat down team and the striker does respectable damage.

This was only one game, but one of my locals got in Farmers recently and he beat my Kick-Off Masons with his Farmers via 3 Jackstraw goals.  Oddly enough it was his knockdown on counterattacks/parting blows that helped him to that 3 goal win.

We're not high level players, so take that with a grain of salt.

I've only played with pure Honest Land and I've never scored more than 1 goal a game. Similar to other players experience I only really have control of the ball when I receive or after the other player scores. My games normally turn into a big scrum around the center of the field where if I can I'll pass to an open bushel who can tap it in pretty easily thanks to her rerollable kick.

I dont think the farmers will turn into a big ball team even after the rest of the models come out. There's not enough momentous tackles or ball tech around the guild for that. Im still struggling with the best ways to use Jack but even if I get amazing with him I doubt he'd help out my ball game.

Im going to stick to trying to use them as a 1-4 team. They clearly are geared towards hyper offense and so far I'm fine with playing them that way. 

I've found Jack and Bushel work quite nicely in tandem. With a momentous tackle on 1, even with TAC 3, Jack is pretty good at getting the ball, and with crop dusting and his other shenanigans he can cover a ton of ground - he's got a 10.36" threat to the ball carrier and a 3 dice yolo to get the ball back, followed by a 6.36" retreat if he's not got conveniently placed harvest markers already.

Otherwise he's got a 6" threat from a harvest marker and makes a reliable 7 dice charge attack looking for just 1 hit, and can then either pass or dodge back over a chain of 2 harvest markers rather than just the one (or move in over a chain of 2 markers, charge, then dodge back to the nearest marker).

Given that Bushel has I'm Open, having the ball "dead" on Jackstraw isn't a big problem, and is potentially adding 4" to her goal threat.

And don't forget Grange has a great kicking aura to help with the passing around, if not the shots, and Thresher himself has a pretty decent 3/8" kick stat.

I wouldn't want to try for 3-0 with them, but 2-2 is quite doable, especially if you receive.

Cheerio,

Ben

2-2 is possible, but I definitely think 1-4 is more comfortable (particularly with currently available models - I think Thresher and Buckwheat can help play a more goal heavy game). 

1 hour ago, Sunny Ravencourt said:

So if you ARE looking to buck the trend, could you feasibly run Jack Bushel Buckwheat Thresher Tater and Harrow? Would that be your best footballing lineup? Maybe Grace?

That's a lot of reapers and only 10 INF. Millstone is a thought, too, probably ahead of harrow. Grace for tater maybe?

4 minutes ago, malladin.ben said:

That's a lot of reapers and only 10 INF. Millstone is a thought, too, probably ahead of harrow. Grace for tater maybe?

It seems pretty unanimous that the farmers ARE a beatdown team (maybe 1 goal in there).  Now I'm mostly curious how to could football with them.  Thresher is obviously the captain for that. Millstone seems okay too.  Buckwheat over Peck. Jack and Bushel for sure. And then Grace?   That's 2 planters (jack and millstone), two reapers (Thresher and Bushel).  Grace makes her own influence.  

I've found them to be a 2-2 team.  Certainly when receiving, early goal with bushel, two take outs then late goal with jack.  That said it's with the honest land only.  Difficult thing is holding the ball while setting up for windle to go to work, if windle gets shut down, taken out or grange is out of position it's much more difficult.

It's also more tricky if you lose an early goal against scoring teams, as the pressure is on to hold the ball.  

Personally I think bushel and jack present two excellent, and very difficult to stop scoring threats, provided you don't mind 2 dice shots.

Up to now I'm not convinced by windle, that 2/0 just seems to give too many opertunities for triggering plays, but with 'for the family' they are pretty football'y and I'd certainly not be classing them as a pure beatdown team.

I won my first game today with a 2-2, and lost the game before with a 1-2(one mascot). 

Ball Retrieval isn't their strong suit, but Jack and Bushel can do some work with it, and Windel/Grange can get the ball and pass it much further than any other team. 

I feel the Farmers are a 2-2 team, but the go for the 2 takeouts first, then go for a goal, then go for opportunist VP.

How is Thresher the better captain for a goal scoring team? Unless the ball hangs out on Thresher or Tater, Bushel is calling "I'm Open" from not great kickstats (Jackstraw, since he's hella good at hanging onto a ball).  Grange covers that pretty well.  He opens the passing game a lot better too.

Thresher's call to fame on the kicking side is just his ability to tackle it from a mile away and then he's pretty decent at kicking it himself.  He's far better at fighting than Grange is, and I think Honest Labor is terrible.  A straight up trap.  It's like Commanding Aura, but way worse.  Grange strikes me as the Kicking Captain, with Tater, Bushel and Jackstraw.  Millstone or Harrow for taste.  Jackstraw pumps out harvest markers, hangs onto the ball until Bushel needs it and she gets a good 3/8 kick because he's near Grange.  She dodges, sprints, has her own 8'' kick.  Pretty decent threat.  As far as getting the ball back from people, Bushel has "Ball's Gone", which singlehandedly ignores Close Control, and I think the counter attack too since she "immediately makes a kick".

On 02/11/2017 at 3:28 AM, Jedianakinsolo said:

How is Thresher the better captain for a goal scoring team? Unless the ball hangs out on Thresher or Tater, Bushel is calling "I'm Open" from not great kickstats (Jackstraw, since he's hella good at hanging onto a ball).  Grange covers that pretty well.  He opens the passing game a lot better too.

Thresher's call to fame on the kicking side is just his ability to tackle it from a mile away and then he's pretty decent at kicking it himself.  He's far better at fighting than Grange is, and I think Honest Labor is terrible.  A straight up trap.  It's like Commanding Aura, but way worse.  Grange strikes me as the Kicking Captain, with Tater, Bushel and Jackstraw.  Millstone or Harrow for taste.  Jackstraw pumps out harvest markers, hangs onto the ball until Bushel needs it and she gets a good 3/8 kick because he's near Grange.  She dodges, sprints, has her own 8'' kick.  Pretty decent threat.  As far as getting the ball back from people, Bushel has "Ball's Gone", which singlehandedly ignores Close Control, and I think the counter attack too since she "immediately makes a kick".

Neither are really 'kicking captains'. I've found in extensive playing with Thresher that his real strength is being a very solid model to put influence on - he's obviously an excellent fighter, but his own personal goal threat I see nothing to sniff a team - while he's no Shark, his extended melee allows him to grab balls better than pretty much anyone on the team and turn that into a goal due to his long range kick and ability to dodge. 

Grange can play a decent passing game, but this has to be a back up rather than his game plan in my opinion - recovering the ball is not impossible for Bushel, but it's certainly not trivial and I very much feel that Grange is always going to have to provide take outs to have any chance of competing. He's relatively slow, and tends to want to play a more supportive role with the team more bunched up around him, where Thresher's game plan is a lot more fluid and flexible to me - I almost always give him 5 and see where the best points are - he has scored a lot of 6 point activations for me through his mobility and combo of damage and kicking ability.

I tend to play for one Goal via Jackstraw, and three Take Outs via Wendle. Has worked very well so far for me. I swapped Bushel out for Tater who is amaze balls. 

Best set up I've had so far is swapping in Benny for Windle and Tater in for Bushel. Every game I've played Jack gets 2 goals. Benny has never been taken out and just anchors the whole scrum, with Harrow just slightly behind Benny is healing 4 every maintenance phase and then could technically heal another 8 during the turn. The team is also a momentum vending machine and I usually end the turn with more then 10 mom. Most people just ignore Jack because he can just teleport away so I try to get him set up somewhere and then pass the ball from within Grange's aura for either a snap shot or a goal run Jack's next activation.

I definitely find that set up to be a 2-2 team, looking forward to the second box to see if i can make a 1-4 team with Thresher at the helm.

So far, all of my games that I have won were 2 and 2 playing the first 6.

It is usually the first goal for Bushel and the second is a janky Jackstraw goal. Windle usually gets a take out on a player and sometimes gets a mascot with a snack break somewhere in there.

I keep finding that the farmers start the midfield scrum super strong but can be ground out by turn 3 against a beating team. The scrum almost always sours on me against the brewers and I find myself desperate for a goal to seal the game.

I find myself vulnerable to control as no one really hits their potential on their own and a sabotaged set up is costly.