• Announcements

• Mako

Union in Chains Pictures   10/14/2017

With union in chains in full swing, everyone wants to upload a few pictures with their battle report (they're highly recommended to ensure your report is accepted as valid). Check the Union in Chains section for some handy advice (and user avatars) before you start!  
polluxx66

Attack-X Canadian National championship

1 minute ago, Malritch said:

West or East... it matters not... Next year I'm going to try and get to wherever it's happening and will be glad to have my ass handed to me by all of you. :)  

How dare you steal my playbook, have you been spying on me?

The vast majority of the Canadian population lives closer to major cities in the US than to the opposite end of their own country. Presumably, the Canadian Guild Ball player base is quite a bit smaller than the US's as well. To me, it would make a lot more sense to merge the US and Canadian nationals systems into one North American championship season. There could be an Eastern and a Western (and possibly a Central?) qualifier series, with each sending a winner to Worlds.

If the Eastern championship was in somewhere like NY, it would be pretty easily accessible by everyone on the east end of both countries. Same for the western championship if it was in like Seattle. If there was a Central event, it could be in Minneapolis. (Not trying to pick all US cities on purpose, just ones roughly central to the population density. Also these are just examples.)

3 minutes ago, RedSam said:

The vast majority of the Canadian population lives closer to major cities in the US than to the opposite end of their own country. Presumably, the Canadian Guild Ball player base is quite a bit smaller than the US's as well. To me, it would make a lot more sense to merge the US and Canadian nationals systems into one North American championship season. There could be an Eastern and a Western (and possibly a Central?) qualifier series, with each sending a winner to Worlds.

If the Eastern championship was in somewhere like NY, it would be pretty easily accessible by everyone on the east end of both countries. Same for the western championship if it was in like Seattle. If there was a Central event, it could be in Minneapolis. (Not trying to pick all US cities on purpose, just ones roughly central to the population density. Also these are just examples.)

I think you'd have to have one at least in Canada to avoid disappointment, but also I'd be willing to bet that Canadians are far more able to travel to the US on average than vice versa (passports and all).

the trick is that you'd really need to have representation from California and Texas as well under a scheme like that, not to mention the south-east. And at that point it starts to get expensive for SFG for flights. I think that you could have regional champs that got a flight to steamcon us, and then maybe have a separate US champs event and a NA champs event that got another world's seat, but this is both expensive and a lot of moving parts.

I think keeping both countries with their own Nationals is better. I've seen similar problems in FFG games with Nationals but they did rotate them at least for a bit. Now they tend to be in Toronto of course. But FFG also has continentals which does involve a North American Championship that takes place at GenCon. That could be a good new layer to add maybe. Not saying copy them whole hog but they do have some good ideas with their OP programs. 

1 minute ago, Frostmane said:

I think you'd have to have one at least in Canada to avoid disappointment, but also I'd be willing to bet that Canadians are far more able to travel to the US on average than vice versa (passports and all).

I agree. You could rotate them and have one in Canada every year.

1 minute ago, Frostmane said:

the trick is that you'd really need to have representation from California and Texas as well under a scheme like that, not to mention the south-east. And at that point it starts to get expensive for SFG for flights. I think that you could have regional champs that got a flight to steamcon us, and then maybe have a separate US champs event and a NA champs event that got another world's seat, but this is both expensive and a lot of moving parts.

Does SFG pay for flights for regional winners to Nationals now? If they do, I'm not sure that sending people to three different events would be much (if any) more expensive than sending them to two. If they don't, then plane tickets to Worlds should be a pretty small part of their budget regardless of where the tickets are to and from.

Ideally, the people from CA would play in the Western championship, TX in the Central, and the southeast US in the Eastern. Depending on where exactly the events ended up, those wouldn't be any farther away and might even be closer than going to Nationals in Chicago.

Is there any article that explains the current setup they have with regionals, nationals etc. Might help to look at that and see what can be changed etc. 

Ok had a half baked idea the other on my drive home from alberta....

I think Saskatchewan could run a (This year mind you, not every year) Western championship. This would leave the east free to have "nationals". I could see us getting enough local support to send our own winner to the east. The only stipulation I could think of would be that the east would have a tournament to determine who plays our western champion and then the two face off in a final for the final bag of peanuts.

I'll try and hash it out more in person but this is a real possibility. And worst case I think the east should have nationals next year if nothing then to stir up excitement for the game. But 2019 It'll come home to Saskatchewan ;> if we're still playing this silly game and haven't moved on to 40 lame or turned into card flippers.

52 minutes ago, CrazyBlaine said:

Ok had a half baked idea the other on my drive home from alberta....

I think Saskatchewan could run a (This year mind you, not every year) Western championship. This would leave the east free to have "nationals". I could see us getting enough local support to send our own winner to the east. The only stipulation I could think of would be that the east would have a tournament to determine who plays our western champion and then the two face off in a final for the final bag of peanuts.

I'll try and hash it out more in person but this is a real possibility. And worst case I think the east should have nationals next year if nothing then to stir up excitement for the game. But 2019 It'll come home to Saskatchewan ;> if we're still playing this silly game and haven't moved on to 40 lame or turned into card flippers.

I was thinking the same thing actually. Whichever is "Nationals" is just whatever's second, and the winner of the first one gets some subsidy to travel to the other one and play that regions champion for the actual Worlds spot. If everyone who plays in both events is willing to pay $10 for the event then that gets you 75-90% to subsidizing the cross country flight for the winner. And means that the actual finals can be best 2 of 3 for extra drama.

I know the German pundits were able to run their national champs as a multi event qualifier series, so outside of the logistics of setting up the flight I think we can pull it off in a way that everyone can enjoy and brings better cross Canada representation. I wouldn't be the slightest bit mad if this started next year as long as the details are hammered out such that neither region gets screwed over

addendum: if you end up collecting more money than the flight costs then you can roll that into WTC subsidies

On 20/09/2017 at 10:42 AM, Spinsane said:

I guess we canadians should build our own Berlin Wall in Kitchener so we can have a clear East-Canada vs West-Canada split...

West would build a wall at the Sask border and east would build at the Ontario boarder and Manitoba is just a dead zone.

On 20/09/2017 at 10:42 AM, Spinsane said:

I guess we canadians should build our own Berlin Wall in Kitchener so we can have a clear East-Canada vs West-Canada split...

West would build a wall at the Sask border and east would build at the Ontario boarder and Manitoba is just a dead zone.

East and West champions playing a best of 3 would be awesome.

1 hour ago, Dirt Rey said:

East and West champions playing a best of 3 would be awesome.

If people genuinely like this idea I will approach the relevant people to make it happen

2 hours ago, Dirt Rey said:

If Canada ever were to be split in half, it would have to be in Kitchener. The city has a history with walls, it'd only be fitting...

Ok it's settled then.

Love it.

I'll make it happen on this end regardless. Like I mentioned I think it'll be good for the steamforged nationals to be out east. That'll be you guys. We'll work out the logistics for out here to get our western champ out there somehow.

Now the real question is.....

You meant to say best of 7 right? mawhahwhahah

Both qualifying tournaments would include an extra surcharge to pay for the flight of whoever won the first qualifier, right? Not just the players participating in it?

18 minutes ago, Spinsane said:

Both qualifying tournaments would include an extra surcharge to pay for the flight of whoever won the first qualifier, right? Not just the players participating in it?

We'll have to work out details but this only seems fair. That's just a detail to be worked out though, there are plenty of ways to handle this.

I have to say I'm pretty excited for this

41 minutes ago, Frostmane said:

We'll have to work out details but this only seems fair.

That's exactly why I'd rather it be done this way... Woudn't be fair for those who get their qualifier locally to get cheaper access to it and not chip into the travelling costs of the winner of the other qualifier's travel expenses...

32 minutes ago, Spinsane said:

That's exactly why I'd rather it be done this way... Woudn't be fair for those who get their qualifier locally to get cheaper access to it and not chip into the travelling costs of the winner of the other qualifier's travel expenses...

I mean the alternative is that whichever has to travel covers it, and it swaps back and forth every year, which is also awkward. Anyways, we'll figure out the details.

I wonder if the formation of a Canadian National Guild Ball Association with a small yearly membership fee, with monies raised to be used to offset travel for the champions in our own country, would be something that people might be interested it. Obviously this would again be easier financially on some than others... but I'm betting you could even build a tier membership with some other swag tossed in to make it worth the while.

23 minutes ago, Toqtamish said:

The travel cost we are referring to is for travel to Worlds or other ? 

Would be to travel to nationals.

Let's assume the 2018 Nationals take place in, say, Toronto, for a moment.

There'd be two qualifiers for the final.

1. First one in a western province (let's assume Alberta)

Whoever wins the Western qualifier iscrowned "West Canadian Champion" and gets a free flight to the Nationals.

2. Second qualifiers would take place in Toronto on a Saturday. Whoever wins that tournament is crowned "Eastern Canadian Champion"

Finals take place the following Sunday between te two champions, maybe a best 2/3 as suggested. Whoever wins gets SFG's ticket to the Worlds...

13 minutes ago, Redtiger7 said:

Hey, you stole my idea. 

Thanks guys.:D

We'll call it the Redtiger7 presents Eastern Canadian Championships, just for you :D

To me population density should be a non factor.  Player density and population of quality events is what should matter.  And no, no merging with the US for events.  If Ireland can have their own nationals, so can we!